Finding myself on the fence on two issues..... - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Thanks everybody. I have now enough input to sit on the fence and make up my mind
Wolfy, BTW, I started using a prong for my girl. She pulls so hard against her flat collar, she chokes herself and I don't want her to hurt her neck. Leash respect seems to be the only thing I'm really stuck on with her. The prong helps a lot.

Do you have room to do a kennel inside? Someone suggested that to me once. Interesting idea for people living in harsher climates

I'd also like to have an outdoor run as an alternative to crating....maybe one of these days!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLink View Post
If you NEED to use that method then do it. But if you don't believe that method is right -- I do think you can find other ways of handling the problem, wether its other tools or just a change to your training, or both. I'm a pretty firm believer that there's always options

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Excellent advice. That's exactly what I did. My GSD was a lunger also and yes, could pull the leash out of my hands, easy for him at 130 lbs. My neighbor suggested a harness - she uses it on her lab mix. I tried it - front buckle but most importantly the postive training method that goes with it developed by Colorado trainer Alecia Evans - the walk in sync. It has really clicked with him. No more lunging after squirrels, rabbits, other dogs, whatever he wanted to go after. As for the kennel, well, if you can't watch him or aren't home, it would be better than crating - more room to move around. But, I got a GSD because he ants to be with me. And sure, I know the adolescent GSD is difficult, but in my view, it isn't going to help by pushing the dog outside - that can lead to other problems - excessive barking, boredom. Instead I suggest you alternate training sessions (short), playtime (tug, fetch) and quiet time (he practices his down/stay).
Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
You're going the wrong direction.

You should be going from drafts, to WB, to TB's to pony's to mini's as you age.

haha yr going by size, i am going off what counts - Temperament.

i can find a tree stump to get on / off with. it's the unplanned exits that hurt and come with wrong temperament... seen too many crazy horses (think arab) in small packages so pony i think not.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #34 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I know the adolescent GSD is difficult, but in my view, it isn't going to help by pushing the dog outside - that can lead to other problems - excessive barking, boredom. Instead I suggest you alternate training sessions (short), playtime (tug, fetch) and quiet time (he practices his down/stay).
I didn't say that I was going to push him outside. I work with him most throughout the day; training is interwoven into everything I do in his presence, especially the NIFIFF treatment. Once in a while he needs to be crated since I also have a life of my own. And an outdoor kennel would be just the alternative for a crate and to eat his meaty bones. Other than that he is always inside with us.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #35 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
haha yr going by size, i am going off what counts - Temperament.

i can find a tree stump to get on / off with. it's the unplanned exits that hurt and come with wrong temperament... seen too many crazy horses (think arab) in small packages so pony i think not.
"i figure if you don't have the physical strength to hold a dog on a flat collar should it lunge then you have no business owning that particular dog.

not being sexist but the biggest rottweilers i have seen are owned by the smallest women i have seen. the dogs end up needing a few extra vertabrae to fit all the gadgets and collars on its neck - and for what??"
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #36 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You know your dog best. If you think WD would be happier in an outdoor kennel, then go for it. My GSDs have always told me where they'd like to hang out, and a couple have chosen sitting on the porch over laying on the couch. Much more interesting for them, they tell me, lol.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Excellent advice. That's exactly what I did. My GSD was a lunger also and yes, could pull the leash out of my hands, easy for him at 130 lbs. My neighbor suggested a harness - she uses it on her lab mix. I tried it - front buckle but most importantly the postive training method that goes with it developed by Colorado trainer Alecia Evans - the walk in sync. It has really clicked with him. No more lunging after squirrels, rabbits, other dogs, whatever he wanted to go after..
I don't have a problem with prong collars, but I agree with this. I've had better results from headcollars and front-pull harnesses like that than prong collars when it comes to controlling a strong dog during training. Particularly if you're already uncomfortable with the prong, that might be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
...especially the NIFIFF treatment...
I'm not familiar with this acronym, could you explain it? I'm guessing it is about the same as NILIF but I can't puzzle it out.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.