Finding myself on the fence on two issues..... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, lol. Besides, isn't it the end of the world on Dec. 21st? JK! DH will look after my menagerie if I die unexpectedly. I know what you mean about people being pulled around by Rotties, I have a neighbor just like that and I can't understand why she refuses to train her dog not to jerk her down the road! I can't stand watching them, seriously. I'd show her my prong, except her JRT is one of the most aggressive dog's I've ever seen and I'm afraid to get near it, lmao.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
x11
Banned

personally i like my gsd to walk straining at the end of the leash fanning out in front of me cutting half circles back and forth - to me its how a gsd should present itself.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
personally i like my gsd to walk straining at the end of the leash fanning out in front of me cutting half circles back and forth - to me its how a gsd should present itself.
So, who is leading who here? What do you do when he sees something from an alien planet that scares the **** out of him/her when he is "fanning out in front of you"?
WD is only 9 months old so he can respond in an unpredictable way. Otherwise he is nicely trained but it is that "life pops up" stuff you can't avoid. And yes, I have handled horses on a flat halter. If they want they pull over anyone, even you I am sure.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I've not had problems with dogs associating prongs with bad things. In fact if you jingle a prong they will coming running and want to go out! I would not use a prong if you plan to just put it on and let the dog lunge (I know a lot of people think this is how to use it, "self-correcting"). If you use it you need to be comfortable with *using* it, like giving your dog corrections and helping him learn what is appropriate/allowed. When I use a prong for behavior or for training specific things I use "NePoPo" which means the negative is paired with positive, so my dog always gets feedback for responding to the correction and then making the right choice.
What is the NePoPo...?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshies View Post
What is the NePoPo...?

ita a nice way of saying that pleasure will be the absence of the pain you are now recieving, it's not escape training at all, bart bellon "invented" it, and he wins big trials so no one else is allowed to have an opinion that differs i predict.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

To each his own, I think a GSD should present itself by walking leash-free with its owner. But that's what so nice about the breed - the versatility. BTW, my puppy agress with you. He prefers the fanning out as well.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
x11
Banned

haha, sounds like a good un. you can always reel it in when you need to.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wolfy Dog, looks like it got off track a little......

6 GSD's. Have used prongs on all of them. This is the one I use: Herm Sprenger Stainless Steel Snap Prong Collar w/Extra Strap - dogsportgear.com

I like it as it does not tighten but still gives additional control.
I too prefer positive methods and never use a prong on a dog under 7 or 8 months. The only time I use the prong is when walking multiple dogs. I do not use it to train heel or other behaviors.

I am only about 125 pounds and yes, my male can pull me over if he chose to. Havoc is a great boy and very obedient but there are times when the prong is simply another control tool just like a gentle leader or front cliip harness. I have never had a dog create a negative association with it. I suppose that can happen if you are using the prong as a correction collar in the prescence of things the dog shows interest in. If the dog is accustomed to the prong this should not happen.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks everybody. I have now enough input to sit on the fence and make up my mind
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

i already switched from thoroughbreds to warmbloods when next a straight cold blood?
You're going the wrong direction.

You should be going from drafts, to WB, to TB's to pony's to mini's as you age.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.