Finding myself on the fence on two issues..... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have to keep your dog safe. If a prong collar will keep your dog safer than no prong collar, than go for it.

I try to have an outdoor kennel for each of my dogs. I am STILL down one since I separated the puppies from the dam, and so now Babs is in the house 24/7, This, in my opinion is not ideal. I love for Babs to be in, and when I am there she generally is inside, but I think they do very well having outdoor time as well.

A well-constructed, secure kennel in a fenced yard can be safer and more comfortable for a dog than leaving the dog the run of the house. For one thing the dog can drink and potty at will, rather than trying to hold it, or keeping to a schedule, which can, if there is a traffic jam or something, cause the dog discomfort or to have an accident.

My dogs rush outside to their kennels and go into them without any hesitation. It is a part of their life, and they do not find it onerous. There are other dogs in kennels there as well, so they are not totally bored out of their minds.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you NEED to use that method then do it. But if you don't believe that method is right -- I do think you can find other ways of handling the problem, wether its other tools or just a change to your training, or both. I'm a pretty firm believer that there's always options

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
MattLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

I use positive training in my dogs, but I don't see a prong collar as all that different than the Halti I used to train my adult GSD to walk on leash. I have not seen dogs become fearful because of it unless it is misused--and honestly not even usually the, the result I see there is a reinforcement of pulling rather than a correction. I know my GSD will pull through any prong collar like it is a flat collar but doesn't like the Halti's results--it may not be physical discomfort but it is frustrating for him.

I would say that ultimately, control is the big thing, combined with training. If you're working on teaching your dog not to pull, but when surprises show up you need some physical means of control, then I say do it. The only time I complain is when I see prongs being used by people who clearly don't care to train their dogs.

As for the outdoor kennel, I think that depends on your dog. I don't see a big difference between indoor crating and outdoor kenneling if they're done for the same reasonable (for indoor crating) amount of time, and provided the dog is protected from the elements.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
x11
Banned

i figure if you don't have the physical strength to hold a dog on a flat collar should it lunge then you have no business owning that particular dog.

not being sexist but the biggest rottweilers i have seen are owned by the smallest women i have seen. the dogs end up needing a few extra vertabrae to fit all the gadgets and collars on its neck - and for what??
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
i figure if you don't have the physical strength to hold a dog on a flat collar should it lunge then you have no business owning that particular dog.

not being sexist but the biggest rottweilers i have seen are owned by the smallest women i have seen. the dogs end up needing a few extra vertabrae to fit all the gadgets and collars on its neck - and for what??
LOL, not being sexist! Good one!

Absolutely nothing wrong with using the appropriate collar to be in control, regardless of size, sex, physical ability or culturally influenced gender bias.

And as mentioned in many other threads. Take a prong collar, put it around your arm, your leg, even your neck and pull on it - it is not a big deal! but the dogs understand and respect the effect of the prong, it communicates a message to them. A flat is only a physical bump on their way to getting what they want that they can easily ignore if strong enough.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post

I weigh 117 pounds as of yesterday. My GSD is small, only about 65 pounds (and only trained in a flat collar, except when I was walking him with my 3 other 40-pound dogs by myself, when I put them all in Haltis). But I've also recently worked with my neighbors' Great Pyrenees and a friends Great Danes...

Oh yeah, and I make my living as a professional horse trainer. My smallest professional client weighs about 900 pounds...and that's because I now work with a smaller breed; I used to work with larger one that averaged about 1200 pounds...managed them just fine...

It isn't about physical strength. A full-sized dog can overpower virtually any adult male; otherwise, we wouldn't have protection dogs. A very small horse can overpower any person; that's just physics. The reason we've survived as a species is our intelligence; it's still the reason we manage to not be devoured by our dogs and kicked to death by our horses. Also a few thousand years of domestication mean that we rarely if ever have to use violence to get them to comply...

For the record, I've held an 1800 pound draft stallion on a flat halter when he'd attacked another stud. I only remotely struggle with any of my dogs if I'm not paying attention and get caught off-balance--but they're trained so they feel that pull and they stop anyway.

Saying that it is about physical size may not be sexist, but it shows your ignorance.

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 11-14-2012 at 06:27 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
x11
Banned

..."And as mentioned in many other threads. Take a prong collar, put it around your arm, your leg, even your neck and pull on it - it is not a big deal! but the dogs understand and respect the effect of the prong, it communicates a message to them. A flat is only a physical bump on their way to getting what they want that they can easily ignore if strong enough. "

no doubt, agreed fully. wasn't questioning the use of a prong or any other collar used appropriately. my point was imo a guide to a suitable dog for a specific handler regardless of race, religion or creed and other culture influence gender bias stuff. i think if a dog has the physical ability to overpower the handler the handler should have not be handling that dog. has nothing to do with the training of the dog - just a bench-mark measure independent of gender religion....culture influenced bias stuff.

at my age i got 1 or 2 max, high drive dogs left in me. at that point i will gracefully switch breeds progressively untill i guess i will eventually die with a pomeranian? sitting on my lap.

i already switched from thoroughbreds to warmbloods when next a straight cold blood?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
x11
Banned

RowdyDogs - thin girls at sea-world can also train killer whales, and skinny people can drive a bull elephant like a car. wasn't my point - i know training works, just my personal benchmark.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Aww, poor you x11! I'm going to have GSDs 'till I die, no matter how old and frail I get. But maybe I'll adopt senior GSDs then? Who knows, but I'm not living without a GSD. And they can be trained not to lunge and pull, you know.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
x11
Banned

do you feel sorry for me for not having a gsd or for having a pomeranian??...jk

out of curiosity Blanketback, don't know how old you are but have you thought about any provisions for yr gsd should it survive you??? serious question that provokes hysteria for some reason - that is not the intention for asking tho - sorry to OP for the OT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.