Training advice to get your dog to obey commands quickly - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training advice to get your dog to obey commands quickly

I i have a 1.5 year old shepherd and he knows A LOT of different commands (25+). He usually obeys the commands but my problem is how slow he is to obey the commands. It's almost like he's "reluctant" to do it. How do you get your dog to be more "snappy" at commands. I understand practice makes perfect, but he just doesn't seem to get that when I say sit, I mean butt down right away, not like, find a comfortable spot and then sit. lol. Any advice is appreciated.
sprklnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'll give you an example.

I use my reward ball (rubber ball on a rope) and tease him with it, get him to chase it and try to bite it, not let him have it - THEN when he is high in drive and a little frustrated, I give a command and he does it immediately - as soon as he does it I reward with the ball.

That's how I built speed when Hunter was younger.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think what is missing here is engagement. Engage more with you dog. Get what ever motivates him and work on the command. Schatzi loves tugs so I use that with her. Just be fun fun fun So use food, toys, tugs, even a plastic water bottle and work with him until you feel he is performing to the standard you'd like.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At this point he's learned that it doesn't matter how fast he does what you tell him. So you have to fix that. Either corrections or like the others have stated, get him engaged and then reward as soon as he does something. A clicker is also good for this because click means good and you can really mark the behavior when he does it.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklnh2o View Post
I i have a 1.5 year old shepherd and he knows A LOT of different commands (25+). He usually obeys the commands but my problem is how slow he is to obey the commands. It's almost like he's "reluctant" to do it. How do you get your dog to be more "snappy" at commands. I understand practice makes perfect, but he just doesn't seem to get that when I say sit, I mean butt down right away, not like, find a comfortable spot and then sit. lol. Any advice is appreciated.
Is this when you are doing heeling and obedience you are talking about? I would pop the collar as you do the command to get the position snappier. Up for sit, and pop it down on the down.
I agree with engagement and drive building of course....but getting that snappy positioning may need some guidance with the leash.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
I'll give you an example.

I use my reward ball (rubber ball on a rope) and tease him with it, get him to chase it and try to bite it, not let him have it - THEN when he is high in drive and a little frustrated, I give a command and he does it immediately - as soon as he does it I reward with the ball.

That's how I built speed when Hunter was younger.
Do you reward him if he does it slower? Also, do you repeat the command if he doesn't do it right away? thanks for your advice!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxbradley88 View Post
I think what is missing here is engagement. Engage more with you dog. Get what ever motivates him and work on the command. Schatzi loves tugs so I use that with her. Just be fun fun fun So use food, toys, tugs, even a plastic water bottle and work with him until you feel he is performing to the standard you'd like.
When I get him worked up like that with a frisbee, he is snappier. He will do it quicker because he wants the frisbee really bad. I guess my problem is when, for example, when we're out on a walk, and i want him to sit to let someone pass by, he would walk over to the grassy area and then sit. I guess he doesn't like to sit on concrete :P. I suppose I should just not let him choose where and force him to sit?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklnh2o View Post
When I get him worked up like that with a frisbee, he is snappier. He will do it quicker because he wants the frisbee really bad. I guess my problem is when, for example, when we're out on a walk, and i want him to sit to let someone pass by, he would walk over to the grassy area and then sit. I guess he doesn't like to sit on concrete :P. I suppose I should just not let him choose where and force him to sit?
Well use that to your advantage. Play with your dog and his frisbee and also use a clicker. Practice it over and over again he will get the hang of it. If he doesn't do it as fast as you want don't reward him. Just walk and try it again until he gets it. Once he does throw a "mini event" for him lol. Verbally and Physically praise him. Don't try to make him do all 25+ commands quick all at once. Just stay with a couple and slowly move from there. You probably moved to quick with commands that you forgot the little details and now you are seeing it by him not sitting on command lol.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Definitely use food or a toy, whatever motivates your dog!

My pup LOVES her Kong, last night we were working on "get in" (sit in heel position) then I'd throw her Kong, she was whipping herself into position faster than a blink of an eye! She works reasonably well for treats, but the Kong is king!

I really think to get those quick, enthusiastic responses, the dog must be having fun!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.