German Shepherds Forum banner

Zoey's training

10K views 114 replies 13 participants last post by  Nickyb 
#1 ·
I wanted to dedicate a thread on Zoey's training and progression. If you don't know Zoey, she's my belgium mali/gsd mix rescue that was adopted on 4/29/12 It has been a loonnnngggg road with her and she's been doing great, until the past week or so.

I would like to start by saying she's off to her consultation tomorrow for training, we've been having problems with her nipping and constantly mouthing. She got my buddy in the arm this weekend, i went out to get him during the evening, he was behind me and i bent down to grab her by the collar to push her back and she want right for his arm and ripped his shirt. No blood but it was a fairly hard bite and ripped his sweater, i had him give her two treats when they were both inside and she seemed fine, she's met him before and showered him with kisses in the past. I think this was more of a protective "hey, who the ef are you" type of bite but still, NOT OK to put her mouth on anyone unless i give it the ok.

Also my brother was playing catch with a football with his buddy outside, she was the monkey in the middle and she nipped him in the arse.... I understand how this would set her up to do something wrong in which I told my brother to keep her inside if your going to tease her, but still not ok.

Her progress with dog socialization has stopped because my neighborhood has a few off leash dogs that like to bombard us during our walks.... now when she see's them she goes bezerk where-as before she would heel nicely and ignore most dogs.

The fact that Zoey WILL bite is the scary part, I don't want these nips to get any worse. Even with all these quirks, I still love her to death... I just hope we can fix these issues...

She is set up for tomorrow with Steve @ K-9 Top Performance | The best performance your dog can give.
I plan to enroll her into "K9 camp" where you pay extra but you get more then regular daycare. "K-9 Camp is a more concentrated structured "daycare". Your dog will be trained and socialized with other dogs all throughout the day. We will work on the basic commands that you are working on in obedience, as well as walking on the leash. We spend a lot of time teaching them the proper manners needed for socialization with other dogs and people."

I think this would be a great way to start her road to progress because I just don't have the knowledge in training dogs like I thought I did. I think once a week at k9 camp will be great and then see how she is, whether she needs more training and socialization. I will keep this thread updated
and your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

At the end of the day, I will never give this dog up. I gave her up once to try for a better life only to return in worse condition. She is mine forever and I will do what ever it takes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the update. I was wondering how beautiful Zoey was coming along. It's great you have hired a professional trainer. For the loose dogs, I can sure understand and it is very annoying. Of course, my dog being lawfully walked on his leash wants to join in, and isn't allowed to. When I see loose dogs, I immediately turn - my dog is on heel - and go in the other direction. I reward my dog for obeying the heel. That action often stops the loose dogs from following because they see the other dog is with his human - heeling - and not free to play. For the monkey in the middle situation, Zoey has a high drive and will play to win, so those games are out, as you probably already have realized. For grabbing your friend by the arm, she is very protective and you don't know what trauma she went thru in the past. An animal behaviorist (maybe your trainer can recommend one) could help you with that. All I can suggest is to be very careful with her around other people so she cannot get into situtations that will trigger her aggression. The others who have experience with fear/people/aggression issues will be helpful in their replies.

#3 ·
Thank you Mary Beth, I will definitely try your loose dog trick. We normally just stop dead in our tracks and it's usually to late to do anything since I have to be in my defensive state in case one of these dogs tries and grab's my leg or worse, Zoey. I do have a behaviorist nearby thats awesome so if he recommends it, I will see what they have to say. I'm going to put a muzzle on her for her consultation because I just don;t know how she's going to react with all the dogs there and what not. If the trainer was a woman, I wouldn't. I feel like Zoey will just snap sometimes with men but when it comes to ANY female person, she is an absolute doll and hasn't shown the slightest bit of discomfort let alone aggression with them.

If she has aggression issue's, it's ok. I just want to know exactly what will trigger them. We go to the consultation in a few hours so I'll be sure to post back on the outcome. Very excited.

#4 ·
Hope your consultation went well and they'll be able to help Zoey. Their website is certainly impressive and the home lessons working with Zoey in your home would also be very worthwhile in addition to their day training program. My Husky (adopted when she was 2) was afraid of men. The neighbor loved dogs, but I had so say, sorry, but please don't approach. I would watch her, she was not as overtly aggressive as Zoey, she didn't attack, but she would back up - hair rising on neck -ears back. I would quickly have her sit - stand in front of her - exchange a brief hello, then quickly turn and go. It took about a year and when she understood that men would not come up to her - she relaxed and to my surprise, one day when my dad was visiting - she went right up to him. A year from now, with the stability of a good home, training ,care, and love you are giving to Zoey, the same could happen. She loves you, so she has accepted one man - that's a start :)

#5 ·
Thanks Mary Beth, that is certainly comforting to hear. The consultation yesterday went great. He explain how this breed is much different than a regular GSD and the fact that she was adopted, abused and neglected, he was surprised how good she actually was. He believes the bites were out of anxiety and sensing fear which explains ALOT, he demonstrated the proper ways to introduce Zoey to new people and if they have any bit of fear to not even try it.

He simulated himself being fearful and while Zoey was sitting on the floor, she glimpsed over at the fearful state and FED off of it, Mali mouth snaps and growling out of no where. I corrected her and she was fine. He then simulated why some of the bites happen because most people go up to her the wrong way, basically challenging her without knowing it. He puffed himself up and reached over and while she was minding her own business, listening to the other dogs doing head tilts, she caught a glimpse and again, FED off of it and started snapping and growling. It all started to become perfectly clear that she's not as bad as I thought it was.

He recommended the k9 camp and possible basic obedience but highly recommended protection work with her drive and energy... needless to say the old lady didnt agree with the protection part. He told me I could think it over and just let him know when we are ready and if we wanted to do any of this..... needless to say, I dropped Zoey off this morning :)

#6 ·
Thanks so much for the update. You have certainly found the most perfect trainer for Zoey. It is really impressive how the trainer could trigger her reactions and show there is a reason for her behavior. I did wonder about the protection training, as an outlet for her and she seems to be a natural, but at the same time, I agree with your hesitations, and I would hold off on that also. If you're not already doing it, a good outlet for her prey drive is to play tug with her. I use 2 tugs with Sting - they are on leashes and I scoot them along the ground -he has to wait on the down/stay until I give the release command. I do wear thick gloves. As soon as he grabs one tug - I tug it, then drop it, and grab the other one, and so one, until he wins. When he brings the tugs to me, he gets a reward. I use tug after his obedience practice. Zoey may enjoy it that way since I think she and you will be getting "homework." I am sure Zoey will be tired out tonight after her school day. I can well understand how relieved and happy you must be.

#7 ·
:Update:
Day #1
I pulled into the parking lot only to see Steve walking Zoey in a perfect heel. Well that's a relief! I was worrying all day how she would do with Steve and his employee's and was praying everything went well. He had some good news and bad news for me so I'll do my best to describe it.

Good news: Steve said Zoey did awesome! She warmed right up to him and all his employees in NO TIME! He said she is such a sweetheart :wub: and with some socializing, he see's no serious issue's with people aggression. Steve also said he hasn't seen prey drive like Zoey has in a LONG time and was ecstatic about it, highly recommended protection training in the future. He also said if she was ever to much for me, he would take her in a second.... Nice to know that but sorry, Zoeys allllll mine :)

Bad news: Steve believes Zoey has serious dog aggression issues but with time, he believes he can correct it. It will be a long road but he's optimistic about it. The crazy part is, I figured it would be the complete opposite. I have a theory that some may disagree with, but all-in-all, it is a theory. I think that Zoey's first encounter with all the new people, a day care with 20 dogs, and without her daddy being there was extremely stressful and acted defensively. I think once she gets used to it this whole k9 camp deal, she'll come around and show her true colors

I just dont how she could be aggressive, I mean look at these pictures.

#8 ·
Wow, It sounds like Zoey has made a lot of great progress. I'm glad that you found Steve and that he seems to know how to handle your girl. I know that you are on the fence about protection training but, maybe in time if you give Zoey a job, this will give her an outlet for some of the agression issues.
Happy training!

#10 ·
It's a start to a long journey but I do feel like we jumped the highest hurdle so far. I am 100% about doing protection work, the wife is the one who wants no part in it. She believes that if you have and train your dog in protection work, our sweet loving Zoey will be no more! I tried to talk her out of it but hopefully I can persuade her that she won't change. Steve showed us a poster of his award wining Dutch Shepard (for protection work) laying down with his infant laying on his ribs. I turned and said "vicious dog huh" :) I'll work on her more though.

I appreciate the input!

#9 ·
Nicky B., I agree with you. I also would have thought the complete opposite: okay with other dogs, but touchy with the new people. I would also have thought like you, it was due to first day stress, then I got to thinking what Steve said, about the high drive and protection training, and how he would take her. On his website, I read that Steve had planned to be a K-9 handler. Dogs like Zoey are very hard to find. She is a natural at protection training. You are first in Zoey's heart, but Steve is her handler during the weekday. He is enamored of her and has formed a bond. If that hadn't happened, Zoey would not have been cooperative at all, and she needs training. So, just my thoughts, Zoey doesn't want to share, she is the only dog with you, so when Steve turns to another dog - that's it, instead of sulking, she goes into drive. If I were you I would put aside my hesitation and I would sign her up for the protection training, that would give Zoey the outlet and she would learn how to control her agression. The dog learns to stop the protection on the Out command as I know from my Dobe who was defense trained before I got her. Also, if you practice with her, you will keep that bond strong. I play tug with my Sting, not because I want to, but because he needs it as an outlet for his prey drive, and the tug satisfies that drive and he associates me with doing that. Cheer up - today is Friday - you'll have the whole weekend with her, make the most of it. Steve doesn't use treats in his training according to the website - so open up the high powered treats after a good game of tug that Zoey wins at the end. And most important, all weekend she will not have to share you with another dog :)

#11 ·
Thanks Mary Beth, your post made perfect sense! My main concern is Zoey training with other dogs, I want her focused on the sleeve and nothing else, ya'know? I will 100% be breaking out the secret treats for her and maybe get her a nice piece of chicken or steak this weekend... actually I might get her some after every training day/session as a reward, thoughts?
Playing tug is a great idea, we got a few ropes around and we will be playing with them a lot this weekend. You're right about the weekend, Zoey and I will be doing some serious bonding, I was all bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning going to work knowing its Friday, only to get pulled over 10 minutes later :mad: Oh well, no ticket...

p.s. You have a Dober??:wub::wub: I was planning on buying a Dober puppy until Zoey's ad came up, then I planned on waiting a year or two and buying that puppy... now i cant have either :( Any pics?!?!

#12 ·
I would bet Zoey will be so focused on the sleeve, a whole pack of dogs could run by her. When I am playing tug with my Sting in the backyard, he couldn't care less about the neighbor's dogs or even if the UPS man is coming - he is totally focused on me. Also the photos you posted showed her on a leash with another dog. If she was loose with other dogs in the play area at the trainers , well, that would be like a dog park situation, and assuming Steve was there observing - then competition for his attention. For the treats - you may want to have some (freeze dried chicken liver treats will keep) when you pick her up from day care - she'll smell them - then slip her one right when you both get out the door. For the treats after training, be sure it is after she has obeyed your command, whether it is to drop the ball after a retrieve, or sit, and so on. Alternate during the training session with praise (voice, touch - a gentle pat on her side, if she likes that) and treats, so she doesn't expect them everytime. You want her to focus and work on pleasing you. My GSD Sting was named after my Dobe who died. I've attached her photo - click to enlarge. I am only going to say this once and please don't take it the wrong way - but Zoey may not be suitable for a pet home - I am guessing that it why she was given up. She may always need to be managed and that can be very hard for you in the long run. She may always have issues with other people and now other dogs. Steve wants to work her and train her, she wants to do that work, she would be happy. You also deserve to be happy. That said. You both have a nice weekend.

Attachments

#13 ·
Update: Day#2:

I picked Zoey up from K9 camp last night and Steve was nothing but happy with Zoey. She did tremendously well and she showed her goofy side to everyone. Steve captured a small video in which he had her in a room will a small wall in it, long story short he would go back and forth, call Zoey in each window and she would be bouncing back and forth over the wall. I'm glad they got to see the better side of Zoey instead of just the furious beast she portrayed the first visit.

I didn't get into to much detail with Steve on the training yet which I plan to over email but briefly he was very pleased. He had her outside in a sit with a neighboring dog that barks and lunges was on the other side of the fence. She was shaking but she stayed in a sit, focused on Steve which is AWESOME!

I can already see the changes in Zoey, I was walking out of the kennel and its a small hall to the door. Going in, a woman walked past and Zoey sneaked a lick on her hand and on the way out, a man was walking in and she sniffed him and licked him on the arm. Before all this training, my uncle and Grampy came over for supper one day and was on the couch, Zoey was walking around and my uncle called her over, only for her to jump on his lap and lick his face for a good minute, she sat next to my Grampy and got lots of rubs, and she loves my mothers fiance. I honestly don't see the human aggression looking at everything. This was just a quick write up while I had a second at work, I'll try and post a more in depth analysis soon.

#15 · (Edited)
Zoeys been to k-9 camp twice since the last entry and has made some amazing progress so far. The last camp visit was the best experience yet, Zoey and I hop out the car to an open door and Steve and his employee shouting "ZOEYYYYY" They love her over there and she's getting used to them. They've been working with her getting used to the muzzle and being comfortable with it on, as have I at home and whenever we go for walks.

The best part is when I was walking in to pick her up, Steve was sitting at the desk just smiling. "Ugh, whats up dude?" and his response was "Zoey did amazing at camp today, we had her out in doggy day-camp most of the day (they also do a doggy daycamp there with about 15-20 other dogs) socializing her with the other dogs, she wore a muzzle and although she muzzle punched a couple of dogs, she did excellent!!!!" WOW, a complete 180 from when she first started there and now, I feel like my theory was correct and we're on the right road. Her biggest problem is when they put her in the kennel to calm down or after a walk or something, she poops, he says this was common with a lot of rescue dogs.

All and all, I'm happy thus far. I work with Zoey everyday on all of our basic commands (sit, down, roll over, pretty girl, paw, up, stay etc) and introducing her with new ones. This week we've been working on "focus" and she's catching on quick, just a little more work and she'll have it perfected. I plan on taking classes with her very soon, but I don't think shell need the beginner course (seems like a waste of money since she knows all commands) the thing we need to work on is focusing on me with other distractions around.

My biggest concern now is getting her used to other male humans. So far, she's bit my buddies father (rear of the leg), my buddy on the arm, my lil brothers friend (backpack ) and his other friend (just a ripped sweatshirt). Everyone who enters the house now needs a couple of treats so that she see's strangers as friends and not threats. This will be the hardest step I feel. On a side note, she loves my uncle, my nephew, brother in law, brother, mothers fiance, some of my brothers friends. It's just some certain people set her off.

PS heres Zoeys boyfriend, Steve's DS. He does this everytime Zoey walks in, he literally stayed in this exact position for the 10 minutes i was there.

#17 ·
Sounds like Zoey is doing awesome! I took a class not too long ago with Bear, it was meant for reactive dogs, but I took it to gain more focus with Bear. It was based on the book "Control Unleashed" by Patricia McConell.
They also taught other techniques in the class like Doggy Zen and the Relaxation Protocol. Here's a link to some of the techniques that you can work with Zoey at home if you like.
Articles - General Dog Training and Behavior - DOG WILLING Positive Dog Training Solutions

It really helped me with Bear and his lack of focus. I'm really glad that Zoey is doing so well and that you are putting in so much time and energy to getting her where she can definitely be!

#18 ·
Wow, Zoey is really an A+ student! And of course, school is more fun with a boyfriend - what a cute picture. I can understand why she poops in her kennel - she is probably so excited and busy that she keeps putting it off. As she relaxes around other dogs, I think the potty situation will improve. I sure Steve could recommend at which class level you both should start. Well, Zoey likes half the human population (women) and she is slowly but surely with your help learning to like some of the other half (men).

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the comments! I'd also like to add that Zoey has been doing great around other men so far! My mother had a dinner for thanksgiving and she had two new guys there (my older brother and half sister boyfriend) and Zoey did awesome! The crazy thing was my half sister AND her boyfriend were petrified of Zoey when they first came in, and Zoey laid her sweet baby persona down and they left loving her!
Also my mothers fiance came in later on and (he loves dogs, actually brings his puppy to Steve as well) after a brief introduction, he had her doing tricks... IN GERMAN?!?!?! wtf didn't even know she knew that.. although when I tried the sayings she didn't know what I was talking about? Then again I don't know any German other than platz. I'll see what Steve says about this one lol.

So far so good, I'm hoping to socialize her more with my friends soon. It will be a bit harder now that its winter but would anyone happen to have any ideas how to just bring her around more men in general without being to close. I just don't want to set her up to fail, ya'know?

In the next year, I plan to move into a new place closer to all my friends and family. That being said, I'm hoping we can get to the point where all my buddies can just walk in without having to worry about the Zohan!! Were on that level with my best friend, he'll just waltz right in, pat Zoey on the head and they'll be fine.

Also, Zoey's going to camp again tomorrow so I should have another update soon. Hopefully I get a chance to talk to Steve about future training and what not.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I found very odd.... Zoey and I were playing in my bed when she mouthed my leg, I then took a soft pillow and hit her with it lightly. The force wouldn't have hurt an infant but she stopped, ears down, head down and walked away. I had to go pick her up off her bed and carry her back to get her to lay with us again. Then she snuggled mom but not dad :( I don't know why but she got really scared, something we ought to look into.

#20 ·
Wonderful update - I wondered how Zoey did with all the company over Thanksgiving. For the German commands - ask your friend to teach you or record him - you could take a video of him doing it with Zoey - so you could both practice. Now, I wonder if she would also like to hear some French being as she is part Malinois? For the men - you need to go where the men are. You could try outside of gyms, financial districts, garages. If you can take her when school is starting or getting out, or a college campus - that would help to socialize her and not just with men. For the pillow incident - well, now you know - no hitting no matter how playful . You will need to use only your voice (use the German word - say sharply "Nein" pronounced like the number nine - means "No"). So when she mouths - say sharply "Nein, mein" (pronounced nine, mine) means "no, mine" -let your hand or leg to limp - she will let you go- then praise. It also helps if you can give her a favorite toy and say cheerfully "this is yours" as she mouths that. Also if she acts real hurt - don't act contrite in return. She knows she got carried away. Don't try to make up - or she won't get the idea that her actions were not acceptable.

#22 ·
Zoey did great at k9 camp yesterday and last Thursday! Basically, all the camp has been doing is socializing her with other dogs and work on her obedience. She's been out on the floor with the other dogs for most of the day while wearing a muzzle. The past two weeks, she's been doing better and Steve is still shocked as to how well she's been doing. Her biggest issue now is when a dog runs by her, she get's her drive going and gets all riled up. I wish I could give you more in depth updates, but this is really all the information i get. I get that she's been doing great but what are the specifics? The main question I have is will she ever be able to co-exist with other dogs and will she ever be a people person? I have a lot of friends and family and I would LOVE to have Zoey around them, but at the same time, I just don't trust her. She's usually fine after the fact but it's the initial introduction that either goes great, or horribly wrong.

Zoey's met my old lady's parents once, she obviously loved her mom but only met her dad once, and he just walked by and she sniffed his hand. She jumped up on her brother (25y.o) and licked him in the face about 37 times. They have an AWESOME backyard and pool that their dog pretty much lives in the summer, so I really want to get her over there and swim without having to worry she's going to have a Jack Russel snack. My plan is to bring her over there in the summer, muzzled and on leash for the first few visits. They've gone for walks together and were fine, but when they get face to face, is when Zoey wants him to back off.

Steve believes we should hop in a basic obedience class to start off. We'll start most likely after the holidays. I think the best part is that is a smaller class, between 2-8 dogs, and although it will be brutal at first trying to get her to concentrate on me, rather the other dogs, I think it will be best. I love the kennel and the staff there, I just wish I had more feedback, or is this normal? I know it will take time but how much longer? I don't mind spending the money if it's going to work. although $40 a pop doesn't seem like a whole lot, after 10 sessions, it's starting to add up.

#23 ·
I can understand your impatience. On the plus side, Zoey has made extraordinary progress. Steve is the perfect trainer for her. And just think how far she has come since you started taking her to him. On the otherside, my opinion is that perhaps your expectations of what training can achieve with Zoey may not be realistic. Yes, she needs classes and she needs lots of work. But will all this training make her the sociable dog you would like? IMO, I don't think so (I hope I'm wrong). Zoey is a great dog. She has a high drive and would do well in IPO. That alone would make her a perfect dog for a certain owner. IMO, this is the nitty gritty of having a dog. Can one accept the dog for what she is, love her, train her and still be happy? There are compromises in every area of life, and the tough question is can one accept the compromise. It will be interesting to read what other say.

#24 ·
Thanks for the reply Mary Beth, you really make me think outside of my normal thought process and that's a good thing!. I guess I needed another's perspective on the subject to clarify my vision. Deep down, I know Zoey will never be like Princess was on a social level, I took that dog everywhere with me, where as Zoey will always need to be managed. I was spoiled with princess and I accept it. Maeg and I LOVE Zoey, we accept her for who she is as a doggy, including her good and bad sides. She is literally the perfect dog when she's around people she knows, let alone me and Maegan.

The more I think about it, the more I think she'll need to live in a 1 dog type of home :( I'm willing to give her that, any care, training, anything... My dream was always to have a Doberman, after Princess passed away, I threw a deposit down on a doberman and was waiting for a litter. Maegan talked me into an older dog since we really didn't have time for a puppy just yet. I seen Zoey and immediately seen Princess in her, the way she acted (and acts when its just us) is just like Princess.

#25 ·
That's a great perspective you both have. I agree what is most important is how Zoey is with you and Maegan- her family, and that you are both happy with her at home. For the only pet, well, I am a member of that club. I wasn't always - had cats too. When elderly Miss Mavis went to catnip heaven, I decided to wait. I always had to watch - she was good with my Sting - but would tease. Sting well, he has eliminated the rabbit population in my back yard. So, I thought if the cat or kitten would run by him... I didn't want to chance it. To my surprise, it has been great with only Sting. You may well find the same with Zoey. For the Dobe, that can be your next dog. And since I have had a Dobe, I really think you will realize how much Zoey has taught you. It worked that way in reverse for me - the Dobe was an excellent "training ground" for my having a GSD.

#26 ·
UPDATE:
Zoey did good as usual on Thursday, she was out with the other dog's pretty much all day and only got excited twice when the other dogs were running past her. The more I think about it, the more I agree with only having 1 dog with us. Zoey is exhausting as is, and she's been costing me a fortune, I can only imagine the expenses with two! I'll admit, she's worth every penny.

Past two weeks have been up and down with Zoey, the past week she's been a sweet angel at home, but the week prior, she was out of her mind. When she's full of energy, she tends to nip if I try to ignore her but if I play, my leg will somehow end up in her mouth. It's not a bite, it's more like my legs in her mouth and she's applying a bite of pressure, although she doesn't realize her force sometimes lol I've done it all to prevent this though, I hold her mouth shut, yell AH AH AH AH AH, whimping like injured dog, and put her toy in her mouth instead. Nothing, she'd rather have my leg in her mouth. I don't mind a mouthy dog, but this is crossing the line. Any other idea's how to correct this?
The rescue recommended a shock collar for this and her snapping at your face. This is when she gives kisses and chomps real close to your face, it is pretty scary although she's never gotten anyone, it scares the crap out of other people and myself. I do correct her for it and she's been getting a lot better, I don't even move my head back anymore when she does it but I will correct it. I don't believe in shock collars nor do I want to use one, but I'm running out of options. The only thing I can think of is leave her prong collar on and when doe does either, snap it real quick.

Zoey is slowly molding into the right dog for me, it's a long journey but we will get there. I don't think Zoey was socialized with anything in her previous life, she's a hard learner and needs a strong correction or she won't stop the bad behavior. Some time's she the sweetest dog, and when she's hyper and full of energy, she's a nut case. I take her for daily walks and give her plenty of exercise when I get home from work, but sometime's its just not enough. She's been doing great around other people and we haven't had any incident's (knock on wood) for a while, although I'm still iffy about bringing my guy friends around her.

#27 ·
Thanks for the update. Zoey's holiday present can be more K9 time with Steve. Especially in winter when she gets frisky with the cold. Yes - I agree with you - one dog is plenty for me. Turgid Rugass the Norwegian trainer actually commented that having 2 dogs is 4 times as much work. You may want to look into her Calming Signals DVD or book. That might help with Zoey's overenthusiastic play. I would also ask Steve what he would recommend. What I would try for the leg biting is what I did with my cats when they would take grab my wrist or finger with their claws and then give the "love bites" as a cat like your Zoey can go fast from wanting affection to play - I let my hand go limp and just froze and turned away - big ignore. Since the "prey" was no longer playing - the cat would let you - then I would gently remove my wrist or finger - and then walk away. For the air snaps - I just wouldn't get in her face or allow her to get in mine. Stand up - turn your back. If I would pet Zoey - I would approach her from the side and stroke gently her side and chest - I wouldn't put my face next to her - I would always make sure I was above her and she would be sleeping on the floor on her bed.

#28 ·
Thanks Mary, I let my leg go limp a few times, she just bites down harder to be honest lol The air snap only happen when I say "kisses", she knows its just a lick but sometimes she just has to much energy. It's going to be hard to get Zoey off the bed, Zoey will do it fine, Maegan is the problem. Maegan always want's her on the bed and to snuggle with, and she's perfect with her. Maegan will even get Zoey riled up, play smack me and boom, Zoey takes her side and there's my leg in her mouth again. I honestly think the boss is my biggest problem since she see's it as fun and it makes her happy lol. Most of the time, Zoey enjoy's sleeping in her bed over my bed tbh, a lot cooler down there. I guess it's time to have a chat with the boss.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.