Zoey's training - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #81 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe not - why not take a video of it first?
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #82 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Maybe not - why not take a video of it first?
Mary, I'm glad you said that. I will capture a video of her in her element, with and without correcting her. Before I do this I just want to say, Anthony did this in the aggression subforum and got bombarded with useless comments that eventually caused him to leave this forum. I hope those "professionals" stay over there or if they choose to view this, then READ THIS COMMENT FIRST that I am allowing it for the sake of further viewing and help. I'll see if my brother will bring his buddy over tonight and I can film some.

Hmmmm maybe I should just show Steve and you the video instead haha I'll send you a link via PM when I work one up. Thanks!

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #83 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I understand. I really had meant it just for Steve. I wanted to save you the cost of a private visit and I could see Zoey with Steve there behaving perfectly. If you want to pm me - that's fine too. Good luck with your filming.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master Member

Quick update.

Nothing really has been accomplished, with the past snow storms, it's hard to get all that pent up energy released. We've only done k-9 and haven't been back for the obedience yet. I've been super busy over the weekend so I just don't have the time but we still train basic obedience at the house.

My brothers friend hasn't been over and she hasn't gone after anybody, but that's because we've kept her afar from new comers. I just really don't trust her with anybody now.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #85 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Winter is really tough on training and dogs like kids are affected by the storms - they get "cabin fever" fast - probably why Zoey acted up - you're doing all you can -and I would be careful also with any visitors. You may want to end her in house obedience session with a game of tug as a reward.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm also seriously thinking about an e-collar. She like's to put our arms/legs in her mouth and bite down pretty hard, play bites are over excessive and she wont stop unless you smack her with a pillow or kick her out the room for a time out... let her back in and she's back at it, also the airbite's/air snaps aren't getting any better. Not being able to drain her energy, i feel like she does this more often because of that. I've tried every method I could find with no results, she's just a big puppy stuck in her ways.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #87 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The e-collar could backfire in that it could either get Zoey more charged up or into fear/aggression issues if she identified the shock with coming from you. I have used an e-collar mainly for off leash work and to train my dog from running deer. I wouldn't use it for this type of situtation. What you may want to try is the pennies in a can - it is an older method, but may work. Put pennies in an empty pop can - tape over the hole. When she bites - shake the can. Also you could try a squirt bottle or a water pistol with lemon juice or vinegar mixed in water. Same idea - only squirt her mouth. I haven't used either of these, but they may be worth trying. From what I understand about malinois, the air bites are common - done when the dog is excited.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #88 (permalink)
Master Member

Air bites are very common in Malinois, and I don't mind it. The thing that I mind is when she's very passionate and want's to give you kisses, she lick your face and then SNAP right at your face. She rarely makes contact and if she does, it's nothing like a bite but still, I don't like it. Her play biting is the biggest thing, she was making great improvements on it before all the snow hit. Now I'll get a nice CHOMP on my thigh with her looking at me in a playful way like "Oh, what cha gunna do?" n then fly around the room 37 times jump up and latch on again.

To be honest it's really funny now that I think of it but it's not acceptable. I'll try the penny's in a can method tonight. It's tough because I can't always have it in my pocket like an e-collar remote but i'll give it a shotl.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #89 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can understand that but she will also need to wear the e-collar and it has to be charged - so there are drawbacks to both. You could try with your voice alone. Say sharply when she acts up: No, Sit, Now! and if she doesn't, just gives you that look, grab her by the collar and force into the sit/stay - then praise and release. If she repeats her act, do the same again. If you have an e- collar and have used it, that is where you could use it because you would be using it to have respond to the sit command. You may want to pm Lou Castle because he is the expert on the e-collar training.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #90 (permalink)
Master Member

Full update as of 3/15/13:

Zoey has been doing good but there hasn't been any progression with K9 camp. She'll tolerate some dogs/ play with others/ and hate others. Small dogs that run by her, forget about it. I overheard that graduating from K9-camp basically means they can keep her out in Doggie daycare with no leash. IMHO $40 a week is a waste since she hasn't gotten any better or any worse, the same response I get each week is "She was awesome today, crazy girl but awesome."

Walking her around other dogs- She does awesome walking WITH another dog along side of her, always have. I walked her alongside a very dog-aggressive female GSD and she was fantastic as well alongside many other dogs.

Walking- No problems with our walk unless we pass by a BARKING dog. If she can see the dog barking either behind the fence or on the street, she gets extremely riled up and is hard to control. Example- about a 5-10 lbs lap dog was on leash yapping at Zoey as we were passing, which got Zoey extremely riled up and vocal (not a bark, hard to explain). I got her in a down and I moved two inches, she army crawled 2 feet, move another inch and there's the army crawl again, she's nuts! If the dog is behind the fence or in the house, she is perfectly fine. She might get a little excited but a quick correction and shes fine.
I'm not entirely concerned with this since spring is around the corner and I'll be doing lots of hiking/running in high dog concentrated areas.

Car rides- Horrible. If she see's a dog, she gets EXTREMELY aggressive, more then any other time. Very hard to control since I'm driving and a crate is out of the question. She jumps from front seat to back seat constantly and I plan on picking up a champion harness and strap her in. The aggression, I'm not so sure about.

People in home- She's been doing pretty good in the house but we haven't had to many strangers besides my little brother and his friends. He's been bringing his friends in with no issues, the only issue is with his friend Tyler that she just hates, I don't know why either. This weekend is going to be either a HUGE stepping stone or a bust. My mother is getting married so a lot of people will be over the house this weekend, my step sisters flew up from NC although she has met them in the past, she's been good with them. My other step sister will be coming tonight and her boyfriend tomorrow which she's met and has been good with. Also my mother is having a bunch of her girlfriends over tonight which she's met some, so hopefully everything goes smoothly.
I'm praying she stays calm but I will have her on a leash and the slightest bit of aggression she's getting corrected and crated. I will do my best to introduce with treats outside of the house on leash but with the cold weather, some might get a little aggravated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.