Zoey's training - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Mary, I would love to put a crate in there, except I have a 4 door sedan and not only wouldn't it fit, it would damage my leather seats. My only concern with having her tethered to a seat, she would most likely hurt herself. I honestly don't mind if she's waiting for me in the drivers seat, as long as she's sitting or laying down and not tearing apart my car. Once we start taking her on errands with us, I'm going to bring Maegan and have her wait in the car with Zoey at first, so she can correct her if need be.

We have K9 camp scheduled for tomorrow and training on Saturday. Maegan will be coming with on Saturday so hopefully I can snap some decent pictures and maybe some video of Zoey in action!

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master Member

Update:

No video today, Zoey only played with a few dogs for a short time and mostly kept to herself just sniffing butts and just hanging out. She did however do something I'm very proud of. A fight broke out while she was being handled by one of the staff members (two different dogs, Zoey wasn't involved) and he rushed in to break it up as well as a few others. While this caused a lot of commotion among the other dogs, Zoey just sat and did nothing. I WILL have pictures and possibly some video on Saturday since Maegan will be joining me.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #53 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, you have every right to be proud of Zoey! That is so wonderful - and what an achievement on her part. All the costs of training and camp is certainly money well spent. Looking forward to the video. Great that Maegan is going with you and Zoey on Saturday.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master Member

Today went great! I got some shots of Maegan and also some video. I will post the video once I upload it all but here are some pictures. Very proud of Zoey and Maegan, Maegan was scared to handle her at first so I took the lead for the first half of the morning. Once she seen how well behaved Zoey was, she took over.

The personal protection class starts right after our obedience class, everyone in that class had an eye on Zoey the whole time I got approached by a few people not only giving me pointers with Maegan and Zoey, but also asking if we were staying i wanted to, and I almost did, but 80 bucks a week for training was enough. Steve was raving about Zoey to one of the guys there about how well she'd do in the protection class. Not yet, but I think it will be in our future.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #55 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wow, Maegan did a great job handling Zoey -and Zoey behaved so well! All your hard work and expense is really paying off. Zoey is doing so well with the camp and the obedience lessons - I agree with you - I would hold off also on the protection lessons. She has settled down so well and as long as you continue tug with her - to give her that outlet - and since Maegan has reservations on the protection training (she certainly has a good point about it) - I would really hesitate also. The pictures really showed Zoey has got to be nearly if not all Malinois when you look at her next to the GSDs. And interesting I was reading on the Malinois rescue site that many Malinois end up in rescue because they really aren't suited to IPO and Schutzhund, instead Malinois (this reminded me what is often said of Dobes) are noted for their outstanding affection to their people, which Zoey has. I also often have wondered if her problems were due to to that type of training in the wrong hands. Lovely photos - thanks for posting.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks, I will get some video up once I figure out my Youtube account! Zoey's affection for us is crazy, and we've only had 9 months and that's including the time and trust we lost when we had to give her up, it would probably be even more if we never did that. I agree with her being all Mali, everyone either ask's if she's a Mali or what breed is that, everything about her to me screams Mali.

Our biggest problem with her now is her being alone with my brother and his friends, last night she strolled right in his room with his friends and hopped on the bed, they were petting her when one of them started to pet her neck, and she started barking and going off. This has happened before but it must be something about her neck that sets her off around other people. I tell the kid 1000 times how to handle her and introduce her around his friends, but the kids just an idiot. She'll stay with me from now on and just need to be managed around other people. I was really hoping this wouldn't be an issue but oh well.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #57 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My guess is that she was pinched on her neck or by her jaw - the sensitive areas. So she doesn't know that your brother and his friends are only going to pet her not hurt her. Will she tolerate wearing a banadana around her neck? There are some real cute ones for dogs. Maybe when people see that, they won't pet her by the neck. Otherwise, I agree with you to be sure to keep Zoey with you.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes she actually likes wearing her bandanna. I'll try that as well, it could only help

Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master Member

Video is up, should work. It's of Maegan handling her, yes she needs to relax her right arm but she was stressed since it was her first time.

**Update for K9 camp**
Nothing new, just still socializing her with other dogs. Steve showed me another video of her playing with a few other dogs! He sent me the video on my phone but through sending it, the quality was drastically reduced so it wouldn't be worth posting. We'll be doing another training session this Saturday as well, her obedience is flawless, Steve just wants to get her ready around the other dogs with me handling her.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #60 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maegan and Zoey did great together. A+ students! I see where Maegan had Zoey's complete attention, praised her and how happy Zoey looked when she was praised and yet Maegan knew when to insist and was able to get her in the proper sit position and then promptly praised and rewarded. What I am so impressed with is how fast and far Zoey has come. In class, she is calm with other dogs. Then at camp, she can enjoy playing with other dogs. Best of both worlds.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.