Zoey's training - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master Member

Figured I'd add a recent picture of Zoey in the snow.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lovely photo of Zoey. She is turning out to be an the A+ student Happy it went well for you and her in class. If you can, it might be better to continue the K9 camp as you've done and the also the classes. I know it seems like a lot, but at K9 camp she gets play time with other dogs and exercise. At class she needs to concentate on you and obey. It seems the two different activities work together to help her socialization.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #43 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Mary Beth, I do plan to continue with training her and have her in K9 camp. The only problem is that doing it twice a week will start to take its toll on my wallet when added to all my other bills. The good thing is that when she gets to the higher classes, they are actually cheaper 8 for $200 rather then 6 for $200, so 25 bucks per class rather then $35, doesn't seem like a lot but when added with her other costs such as her sensitive stomach blue buffalo, flea/tick meds etc etc etc...

We did have a mis-hap Saturday night though Let me know your thoughts, I have my own but I'll save them for after.

We had everyone over for dinner including my mothers fiance's family (his sister and his brother's family came over) I kept Zoey down stairs for most of the night since his brothers had small kids and although she's good around kids, I didn't want anything to happen since I couldn't supervise 100%. The situation happened after the kids left. Zoey came up and was completely fine with everyone, my mother, her fiance, his sister (We'll call her "The sister"), my best friend and his gf, my grampy and a few others. I was telling everybody about Zoey multiple times throughout the night about how she was and how far she's came, also including her air snaps when you want her to kiss your face. I said this at LEAST 15 times and some people just don't listen.
I turned my back to throw something away when i heard "ohhh Zoey up here come up" wait, what? I turn around to see Zoey up on "The sister's" chest licking her in the face, before I could say Zoey get down she air snapped her in the cheek. WTF you got to be F'kin kidding me. "The sister" didn't have a single mark on her face, nor a scratch but she kept saying "omg she just bite me in the face" "am I bleeding" "she just bite me" I'm going to go the bathroom to see how bad this is, ugh"

Ok, I know Zoey was in the wrong but she was set up for failure, we've been trying to break her from this and she's been better, but she's not 100% I told this lady 100 times through out the night specifically about her doing that and she calls her up and ask's for it, and then freaks out when it happens? I'm trying to socialize Zoey around new people and strangers, and she's been doing fantastic! It's situations like this that make me feel when we take 1 step forward, we get pushed 10 steps back.

About the "bite"- It was exactly how she does it to my gf and I when we ask for kisses, every single time she does indeed make teeth-to-skin contact, she doesn't press down and actually stops everything all together. I don't know if she freaked out about the contact or if it was the actual snap noise when she doesn't make contact with anything.

Thoughts?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's a shame - and Zoey gets the blame instead of the human adult who should have known better. The Sister wasn't listening to you or thought she knew better, and nothing would happen. Unfortunately The Sister by her actions got the air bite. And The Sister is not going to admit that instead she will spread the story that Zoey tried to bite her face. This could have been much worse if The Sister were a child. So the way to prevent it from happening again because you have to protect Zoey is to be as careful with her around adults as you are around children. If I were you, I would start a "no kissing - no touching with Zoey " Rule (you could call it the NKNT Rule) with everyone (adults & children) who comes to visit you or when you go to visit. I would also keep Zoey by me - on her leash on heel and she can be on the down/stay or sit/stay. I would keep treats and her favorite toy in my pockets to reward her for her good behavior. I would explain that she is in training and this is part of her advanced obedience work. As you work on the heeling and as she sits whenever you stop that will look impressive. And I would use hand signals, that way you can talk with your guests at the same time. I would also limit the contact time - Zoey can greet the guests (sitting by your side) , but then she needs to have her crate time with a favorite chew toy. I would also be sure to exercise and play with Zoey before the guests arrive. I would also send some flowers to The Sister from Zoey with a note saying that she is very sorry and never meant to cause her distress.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Mary, that's exactly how I feel and I'm sure she'll be spreading the story around. That is a great idea and I'll be implementing that asap! The NKNT rule will be hard, Maegan LOVES when Zoey jumps up and kisses her, so does my mother and my brother, I admit I do too. It seems to only happen when we are standing up because when I call her up on my bed for a snuggle, she'll be nose to nose to me and only lick, never once air bit. From now on, she'll be on a leash when there's guests right by my side, her obedience is great so i have no worries and when she starts getting ancy, she has a bed in the mudroom with a couple of toys.

As a side note, my Grampy is her new best friend? From her first encounter, barking at the sight of him viciously, him being the perfect profile that triggered her aggression, even his voice, to now....It's just night and day! He'll even walk in the door unannounced, she'll get up and be just as excited to see him as she would after I got home from work lol

Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's great she is doing so well with Grampy. It shows how much progress she has made. I know it is hard for Maegan as it was for The Sister to realize how wound up Zoey can get and then she either air bites or redirects against you. Would teaching Zoey tricks help? Like shake hands, roll over, speak, and so on. There are threads on that. At least that way Maegan could do other things with her and she could also show off for the guests.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master Member

Zoey does indeed know a lot of tricks and picks them up fairly quickly. She knows paw (shake hands) roll over, sit, down, pretty girl (she sits on her butt with her paws in the air) and a few others. We've been working on speak, she gets it but tries to air snap first lol. Running out of ideas but going to start doing some research on new ones.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #48 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's great - she has already learned some. It looks like the speak wouldn't work. But if she shakes hands without any air snapping and will do it with others, that may be a good trick to substitute for the kissing. If she likes to play fetch, there are soft type balls that can be used indoors. That way she has activities she can do with her guests that will show her at her best behavior and hopefully keep the guests on theirs
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master Member

I tried to push speak a little bit and it back fired out me lol Now all zoey wants to do is yap yap yap, bark bark bark. WE'll nip that in the butt, no worries but I do need some help with something.

The car...... I've done a lot of work with her when it comes to her being in the car, she used to be extremely aggressive with any passer bys and especially dogs. Now she ignores anyone, of course unless they come to the car, and other dogs walking. So far so good. My biggest issue is when I leave the car she gets some serious anxiety. I have a pretty nice car with leather interior and when I left her once to run in the store real quick, all i could see is a ball of fur basically flyballing of my dash and back seat. I'd love to bring her everywhere with me and socialize her with the world! Even if it's just bringing her with me on a couple of errands, i still would much rather have her with me then home alone. I don't think a kong would be much help because she freaks out, I could just leave her there till she settles down but there goes my interior.

I'm going to start by just getting her used to being alone in the car and praising her when she's calm... start with 1 minute, 2 mins, 3 mins etc outside of the car, then maybe run inside for a second and make it longer. Any other tips or tricks?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My Husky who was wonderful in the car, except when I first got her, she wanted to be in the driver's seat. She was fine about staying in the backseat where I had it covered with towels when I was there - but left alone - she promptly climbed into the driver's seat - leaving all her husky fur and muddy paw prints for me to return sit on. So your idea of getting her used to it slowly for short periods of time sounds great. Be sure to leave the windows open a bit for air - in her seat area. What I did with my Husky, was to give her the down/stay command. I would leave the car and walk away, and go inside where I could see her - when she would promptly climb over - I would dash out and say "no - go down, now!" then I would go back inside - and when I saw she had settled - I would go back to the car and reward her - I was consistent, and she did learn about trying 6 times. Your other options that I can think of are : 1. to crate her - if the crate will fit 2. get a dog grate barrier that blocks access to the front seast 3. use a dog car harness - it attaches to the seat belt latch and keeps the dog in the back seat - I used one for my Aussie - who was terrible in the car - back and forth - and it did help settle him down.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.