German Shepherds Forum banner

Zoey's training

10K views 114 replies 13 participants last post by  Nickyb 
#1 ·
I wanted to dedicate a thread on Zoey's training and progression. If you don't know Zoey, she's my belgium mali/gsd mix rescue that was adopted on 4/29/12 It has been a loonnnngggg road with her and she's been doing great, until the past week or so.

I would like to start by saying she's off to her consultation tomorrow for training, we've been having problems with her nipping and constantly mouthing. She got my buddy in the arm this weekend, i went out to get him during the evening, he was behind me and i bent down to grab her by the collar to push her back and she want right for his arm and ripped his shirt. No blood but it was a fairly hard bite and ripped his sweater, i had him give her two treats when they were both inside and she seemed fine, she's met him before and showered him with kisses in the past. I think this was more of a protective "hey, who the ef are you" type of bite but still, NOT OK to put her mouth on anyone unless i give it the ok.

Also my brother was playing catch with a football with his buddy outside, she was the monkey in the middle and she nipped him in the arse.... I understand how this would set her up to do something wrong in which I told my brother to keep her inside if your going to tease her, but still not ok.

Her progress with dog socialization has stopped because my neighborhood has a few off leash dogs that like to bombard us during our walks.... now when she see's them she goes bezerk where-as before she would heel nicely and ignore most dogs.

The fact that Zoey WILL bite is the scary part, I don't want these nips to get any worse. Even with all these quirks, I still love her to death... I just hope we can fix these issues...

She is set up for tomorrow with Steve @ K-9 Top Performance | The best performance your dog can give.
I plan to enroll her into "K9 camp" where you pay extra but you get more then regular daycare. "K-9 Camp is a more concentrated structured "daycare". Your dog will be trained and socialized with other dogs all throughout the day. We will work on the basic commands that you are working on in obedience, as well as walking on the leash. We spend a lot of time teaching them the proper manners needed for socialization with other dogs and people."

I think this would be a great way to start her road to progress because I just don't have the knowledge in training dogs like I thought I did. I think once a week at k9 camp will be great and then see how she is, whether she needs more training and socialization. I will keep this thread updated
and your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

At the end of the day, I will never give this dog up. I gave her up once to try for a better life only to return in worse condition. She is mine forever and I will do what ever it takes.

See less See more
#113 ·
So, figured I'd give an update since I haven't in a while, hopefully it will be one of my last.

Zoey has been doing excellent. Saturday, we went for a hike again with friends and their pitbull. At the end of our hike, we were at the front of the trail when my friend wanted to pet a bulldog puppy, which lead to her dog meeting it, and then Zoey wanting to meet it. Zoey tried to play with the puppy but I stopped it since she is rough. Then comes an identical pitbull, mastiff and a husky walking up to all of us wanting to meet, they were friendly so I said why not. Zoey exchanged greetings with all and I couldn't be happier, I wish I got a picture of it but it felt amazing, seeing Zoey interacting with 4-5 dogs without an ounce of aggression.

Sunday, i was thrown a surprise B-day party from my family. Again, Zoey did amazing. My uncle and brother in law were over and she was fine with them, my cousin who was 7 and my niece and nephew (3 and 2) played with her all day. She does have a soft side, because watching her interact with the children, she was much more delicate then usual. My nephew was running around with goldfish and even though she wanted it and seen/smelt it, she didn't even think about trying to snag one :)

I love this dog more and more everyday, and I'm glad I'm seeing a change for the good.:wub: With continued socialization, we should continue in this direction.

Here are a couple of pictures from the hike with the fish eye lens.

D7K_4955 by NickyB210, on Flickr

Hike with a fish eye by NickyB210, on Flickr

The whole walk, side by side.

And a staring contest with my buddy

Annnd some new collar love

New collar by NickyB210, on Flickr

#115 ·
Thanks Mary, I appreciate you following this thread and every comment you had made a difference and kept me going. Zoey and I thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.