Zoey's training - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes - tug has gotten me through many a blizzard with Sting. In home training visit with Steve - now that sounds great. Won't Zoey be surprised? Looking forward to the update. Good Luck!
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

Update:
Zoey did great at daycare, I was talking to Steve and he seemed overly excited about it. Further in the conversation, I find out why Zoey was actually playing with the other dogs today!!! I think he was just as happy as I was!! He was saying how from the first day he had her, she is excelling extremely fast, faster than he expected and he feels like she'll be able to take the muzzle off soon.

He was also talking about her obedience and how well and quickly she learns. I figured this since we work and practice this everyday, but nice to hear that she's good in other hands.

We were walking out of the place and there was another dog that we were going to pass by, Zoey obviously got excited but I gave her a quick correction (she gets extremely excited when I first get there), looked up at me and we strolled on by, no issues. In the past, she would go bonkers, not necessarily being aggressive but needing to go to the other dog.

The stress levels are going down tremendously, I think she's really starting to come around. The big test is how she'll do with everyone over the Holiday's. I have a lot of faith in her although I'll keep a close watch as well. Also figured I'd throw a couple of recent pictures of her that i finally got around to editing.

Happy Holidays!!!!

Snuggling with mom and dad

This one came out pretty dark when I uploaded so it still needs some work.

aaaaaand her and her momma! ... pillow in the background is torn since Zoey thought there was a dragon in there, crazy girl.

p.s......... We've been playing tug a TON since the weather has been crappy, and it's night and day with her energy level. She didn't really like it before but since I've been persuading her more, she can't get enough of it.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...

Last edited by Nickyb; 12-21-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lovely photos - especially the one of your 2 beautiful ladies. Wonderful Zoey did well at day care and is settling in with the other dogs. Yes - pillows and related items are irresistible. My Sting destroyed 2 cat beds but fortunately not the cat The holidays will be exciting and like kids, dogs can get hyper and overtired. You may want to give Zoey timeouts and quiet time in her crate with a favorite toy or chew bone. Hopefully the weather will break so she can go outside. My Sting likes to take a victory lap when he wins tug - then when he brings it to me, I give him a treat in exchange. Zoey has truly come a long way so with your care.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

Zoey says Happy Holidays!!!!!

First we'll start with the family over for the Holidays. Zoey did fantastic, even with a 6 year old being a spaz. She's met everyone before that came over and was very sweet with everyone. My aunt loves dogs and she had Zoey lick her face for a good 5 minutes, my Grampy called her up on a couch (even though she knows not to) and she laid down and cuddled him with her head on his lap, and my uncle called her up and she petted her for a solid 15 minutes and she lick his face numerous times. Everything went great until she did her usual licking and then a teeth snap which made people go whoa. I love the fact that she showed her sweet side to everyone but I HATE HATE HATE when she does that she snaps her teeth, its not her being aggressive, its her licking your face, or going to lick your face and snap her teeth. I'm seriously considering an E-collar just for that. Thoughts?

Zoey did get a timeout because of my 6 year old cousin. I'll just say he's a bit of a spaz that doesn't listen and he brought his foam sword over. Even though I got Zoey used to foreign objects being waved over head, I still stressed out about him because he kept wanting to whack her with the foam sword. After telling him no a billion times, I put her in the mudroom with her bed because I didn't want to set her up to fail. After about 20 minutes, she came back in and he finally left her alone... phew.

Now onto k9-camp. When I walked in, I was immediately told to see one of the girls and ask for the video, hmm weird but ill bite. I walk over to her and she has Zoey on film............... playing with another dog!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO It was awesome to see this, Zoey's came a long way and to finally see some progression is awesome. It was a big male GSD and she would just get low, and bounce up and hop around him like a bunny rabbit, I've never seen that side of her but it was great. The leash was loose, she was relaxed just having fun like a dog should. I'll try to get them to send me the video to share.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #35 (permalink)

Congrats on the progress! It should definitely make you feel a lot better about the future of Zoey!

I'm no trainer, but as far as the nipping while licking, try to find a way to let Zoey know that this brings us pain and is not an appropriate behavior. They don't quite understand that IMO. Dogs play differently than we do. I have a chocolate lab that went through this problem, and she was a BIG licker. Each time she would do it, I would stop the licking and tell her NO. If she persisted then I would roll her lip under her teeth and slightly apply pressure until she made the correlation between the nipping and the pain it caused. Much like getting a puppy to drop something they shouldn't have in their mouth. Just not too hard though. It took a week or two if I remember correctly.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #36 (permalink)

Do you have site or posting with lots of photos of Zoey? I'm really interested in what a GSD/Mal cross looks like. From the pix you posted here, she seems to have a more wedge shaped head, closer coat and maybe slightly smaller ears??? I'd really love to see more of her.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Zoey sure looks happy with all her presents. Wonderful she did well over the holidays. It seems to me with the licking then snap - it happens when she gets all wound up. I wouldn't use a shock collar or prong collar corrections for that as I doubt she would make the connection and may even relate it to the person she was licking. What I would do, is no licking and I would teach her to "shake hands" instead. Even then it would be just one shake. If you want to allow the licking, just let her give someone a quick lick - then right away that's enough - and have her sit by you and give her a chew toy to mouth. You could keep a squeaky toy in your pocket and use that especially if you make it squeak. It would be like redirecting her. When my Sting gets excited, he will go grab his bear and make it squeak.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #38 (permalink)

Get a huge bone like the monster ones that are a few feet long or just a nice filled smoked bone she needs a replacement , and sounds like she likes things nearly her own size, when she bites on your leg say your "NO" command and redirect her toward the huge bone so she understands its ok to bite on something but has to know what is ok to bite on , that is not humans. Worked for me so I just figured I could share . Good luck

Last edited by tacticalseries; 12-28-2012 at 02:24 PM.
tacticalseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks everyone for the comments. I've been redirecting her with her new kong wubba and she seem's to be getting the hint. She's been mouthing ALOT less now that I've been spending more time with her and correcting her on her bad behavior immediately.

Marnie- I find Zoey's look changes based on the expression on her face. It's crazy but at time's she looks 100% Mali, others 100% GSD and most time 50/50. You can find my flickr account here (which i've been using more often)
Flickr: NickyB21's Photostream

and some past photos here
luda42688's Library | Photobucket

Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master Member

Update:

Zoey was unable to go to k9 camp on Thursday , simply because my alarm never went off at 5am and i had to rush out the door for work! No worries, we just got back from basic obedience class today and she did phenomenal. She hit all of her commands down perfectly which i figured would be the case, but the biggest thing Steve wanted me there was to practice with her around other dogs, this class had 8 others. He warned me that since it was basic, most people don't have 100% control of there dogs but for the most part, everyone was very nice and respectable around everyone else's dog. Steve recommended a few more classes just to practice her around other dogs, and then well go to the more advanced classes. Im thinking about continue the training, and do k9 camp every other week, or vise versa. Really havent decided yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.