Zoey's training - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so happy that Zoey is still progressing so well! I'm including a link for you on a list of German commands for you to have fun looking at and trying.
German Dog Training Command Words | German Shepherd Breed Training

Who knew that Zoey was bi-lingual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

Zoey did great at k9 camp yesterday and last Thursday! Basically, all the camp has been doing is socializing her with other dogs and work on her obedience. She's been out on the floor with the other dogs for most of the day while wearing a muzzle. The past two weeks, she's been doing better and Steve is still shocked as to how well she's been doing. Her biggest issue now is when a dog runs by her, she get's her drive going and gets all riled up. I wish I could give you more in depth updates, but this is really all the information i get. I get that she's been doing great but what are the specifics? The main question I have is will she ever be able to co-exist with other dogs and will she ever be a people person? I have a lot of friends and family and I would LOVE to have Zoey around them, but at the same time, I just don't trust her. She's usually fine after the fact but it's the initial introduction that either goes great, or horribly wrong.

Zoey's met my old lady's parents once, she obviously loved her mom but only met her dad once, and he just walked by and she sniffed his hand. She jumped up on her brother (25y.o) and licked him in the face about 37 times. They have an AWESOME backyard and pool that their dog pretty much lives in the summer, so I really want to get her over there and swim without having to worry she's going to have a Jack Russel snack. My plan is to bring her over there in the summer, muzzled and on leash for the first few visits. They've gone for walks together and were fine, but when they get face to face, is when Zoey wants him to back off.

Steve believes we should hop in a basic obedience class to start off. We'll start most likely after the holidays. I think the best part is that is a smaller class, between 2-8 dogs, and although it will be brutal at first trying to get her to concentrate on me, rather the other dogs, I think it will be best. I love the kennel and the staff there, I just wish I had more feedback, or is this normal? I know it will take time but how much longer? I don't mind spending the money if it's going to work. although $40 a pop doesn't seem like a whole lot, after 10 sessions, it's starting to add up.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can understand your impatience. On the plus side, Zoey has made extraordinary progress. Steve is the perfect trainer for her. And just think how far she has come since you started taking her to him. On the otherside, my opinion is that perhaps your expectations of what training can achieve with Zoey may not be realistic. Yes, she needs classes and she needs lots of work. But will all this training make her the sociable dog you would like? IMO, I don't think so (I hope I'm wrong). Zoey is a great dog. She has a high drive and would do well in IPO. That alone would make her a perfect dog for a certain owner. IMO, this is the nitty gritty of having a dog. Can one accept the dog for what she is, love her, train her and still be happy? There are compromises in every area of life, and the tough question is can one accept the compromise. It will be interesting to read what other say.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks for the reply Mary Beth, you really make me think outside of my normal thought process and that's a good thing!. I guess I needed another's perspective on the subject to clarify my vision. Deep down, I know Zoey will never be like Princess was on a social level, I took that dog everywhere with me, where as Zoey will always need to be managed. I was spoiled with princess and I accept it. Maeg and I LOVE Zoey, we accept her for who she is as a doggy, including her good and bad sides. She is literally the perfect dog when she's around people she knows, let alone me and Maegan.

The more I think about it, the more I think she'll need to live in a 1 dog type of home I'm willing to give her that, any care, training, anything... My dream was always to have a Doberman, after Princess passed away, I threw a deposit down on a doberman and was waiting for a litter. Maegan talked me into an older dog since we really didn't have time for a puppy just yet. I seen Zoey and immediately seen Princess in her, the way she acted (and acts when its just us) is just like Princess.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's a great perspective you both have. I agree what is most important is how Zoey is with you and Maegan- her family, and that you are both happy with her at home. For the only pet, well, I am a member of that club. I wasn't always - had cats too. When elderly Miss Mavis went to catnip heaven, I decided to wait. I always had to watch - she was good with my Sting - but would tease. Sting well, he has eliminated the rabbit population in my back yard. So, I thought if the cat or kitten would run by him... I didn't want to chance it. To my surprise, it has been great with only Sting. You may well find the same with Zoey. For the Dobe, that can be your next dog. And since I have had a Dobe, I really think you will realize how much Zoey has taught you. It worked that way in reverse for me - the Dobe was an excellent "training ground" for my having a GSD.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

UPDATE:
Zoey did good as usual on Thursday, she was out with the other dog's pretty much all day and only got excited twice when the other dogs were running past her. The more I think about it, the more I agree with only having 1 dog with us. Zoey is exhausting as is, and she's been costing me a fortune, I can only imagine the expenses with two! I'll admit, she's worth every penny.

Past two weeks have been up and down with Zoey, the past week she's been a sweet angel at home, but the week prior, she was out of her mind. When she's full of energy, she tends to nip if I try to ignore her but if I play, my leg will somehow end up in her mouth. It's not a bite, it's more like my legs in her mouth and she's applying a bite of pressure, although she doesn't realize her force sometimes lol I've done it all to prevent this though, I hold her mouth shut, yell AH AH AH AH AH, whimping like injured dog, and put her toy in her mouth instead. Nothing, she'd rather have my leg in her mouth. I don't mind a mouthy dog, but this is crossing the line. Any other idea's how to correct this?
The rescue recommended a shock collar for this and her snapping at your face. This is when she gives kisses and chomps real close to your face, it is pretty scary although she's never gotten anyone, it scares the crap out of other people and myself. I do correct her for it and she's been getting a lot better, I don't even move my head back anymore when she does it but I will correct it. I don't believe in shock collars nor do I want to use one, but I'm running out of options. The only thing I can think of is leave her prong collar on and when doe does either, snap it real quick.

Zoey is slowly molding into the right dog for me, it's a long journey but we will get there. I don't think Zoey was socialized with anything in her previous life, she's a hard learner and needs a strong correction or she won't stop the bad behavior. Some time's she the sweetest dog, and when she's hyper and full of energy, she's a nut case. I take her for daily walks and give her plenty of exercise when I get home from work, but sometime's its just not enough. She's been doing great around other people and we haven't had any incident's (knock on wood) for a while, although I'm still iffy about bringing my guy friends around her.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for the update. Zoey's holiday present can be more K9 time with Steve. Especially in winter when she gets frisky with the cold. Yes - I agree with you - one dog is plenty for me. Turgid Rugass the Norwegian trainer actually commented that having 2 dogs is 4 times as much work. You may want to look into her Calming Signals DVD or book. That might help with Zoey's overenthusiastic play. I would also ask Steve what he would recommend. What I would try for the leg biting is what I did with my cats when they would take grab my wrist or finger with their claws and then give the "love bites" as a cat like your Zoey can go fast from wanting affection to play - I let my hand go limp and just froze and turned away - big ignore. Since the "prey" was no longer playing - the cat would let you - then I would gently remove my wrist or finger - and then walk away. For the air snaps - I just wouldn't get in her face or allow her to get in mine. Stand up - turn your back. If I would pet Zoey - I would approach her from the side and stroke gently her side and chest - I wouldn't put my face next to her - I would always make sure I was above her and she would be sleeping on the floor on her bed.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Mary, I let my leg go limp a few times, she just bites down harder to be honest lol The air snap only happen when I say "kisses", she knows its just a lick but sometimes she just has to much energy. It's going to be hard to get Zoey off the bed, Zoey will do it fine, Maegan is the problem. Maegan always want's her on the bed and to snuggle with, and she's perfect with her. Maegan will even get Zoey riled up, play smack me and boom, Zoey takes her side and there's my leg in her mouth again. I honestly think the boss is my biggest problem since she see's it as fun and it makes her happy lol. Most of the time, Zoey enjoy's sleeping in her bed over my bed tbh, a lot cooler down there. I guess it's time to have a chat with the boss.......

Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am just concerned that Zoey will hurt you or someone else . Sure Maegan can goof around with her, but then it seems like she redirects on you. Since she bites down hard when you let your leg go limp, maybe the pillow trick would work - like when you pushed the pillow down on her. It seems drastic, but she did give up that time you did it . Only when you do it - don't make up to her. Ignore her for about a half hour and it would help if Maegan ignores her also so Zoey can't go to her for sympathy, then give a command - say come or sit - then praise her for doing that. She has to learn that her biting behavior isn't acceptable. Maegan doesn't see this side of Zoey but surely she doesn't want to risk you or anyone else getting hurt. What might help, is if you could discuss this with Steve - he has a family and knows how dogs like Zoey are. Maybe a family training session with just you, Maegan, and Zoey would help. What I wouldn't do is any of the "kissing" with her or any behavior that encourages her to snap. I would play lots of tug with her and after a good struggle let her win and be sure then to really praise her - that is an acceptable outlet for her prey drive. Also she will then associate you with fulfilling her prey drive and that will help her to look up to you.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Mary, I will go back to the pillow and ignore her when she jumps off the bed. It's easy for me but hard to get the ole ball and chain to follow the rules. Great idea to talk to Steve about this, I will try to tell him in detail what's going on and see what he has to say, he does do in home visits and he only lives a few minutes away from me! I'll be sure to report back after Thursday!

p.s. Just seen the part about tug, that's a great idea since it's been MISERABLE around here lately (freezing rain, slushy snow, torrential downpours) we haven't been getting the usual exercise and have been trying to figure out what to do with her! If only I looked in her bin lol

Last edited by Nickyb; 12-18-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.