Help needed working with a Dutch Shepherd Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Help needed working with a Dutch Shepherd Puppy

I assist in a puppy school for pet obedience. One of the customers has a Dutch Shepherd that she admits/boasts that came from a breeder that breeds for "hard" dogs. The pup will not allow anyone to touch it without attempting to nail our hand, with serious intent. This little guy is about 12 weeks, but I don't want my hands torn up each week.

The owner said no one else but her can touch it! One problem I have is that she actually did not see anything wrong with that! And the owner is covered with bites, including her neck..she admits it goes for her with intent as well. NOt the typical play bite/german shepherd bite that we usually see!

I would like to hear if any of you have trained a dutch shepherd. What works with such a reactive breed? Can we make him accepting of us?
ponyfarm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow. I talked to a DS owner and she told me that it's hard to find a good breeder here in the states because of things like this. Have you considered contacting the DS rescue (think there is only one here in the states) and see what kind of temperament they find? Or your local Schutzhund club to see if they are familiar with DS's? That's where I would start. I think they would have the most experience.

There are a couple people here who have DS's but I can not remember their names!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 09-25-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Jax08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

During the past year I have been involved with the rescue of two different groups of Dutch Shepherds from local shelters. There was also a recent additional rescue/seizure of seven Dutchies and three Mals from a breeder within driving distance from me as well. The folks at National Dutch Shepherd Rescue are fantastic and would be a great source of information and guidance.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Might want to contact Falon (I think her username is FG167), she has experience with Dutch shepherds and this sort of thing.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

this is a ticking time bomb unless someone can get a handle on the owner and the puppy

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Diane - who is the member with the dutchie that went to Holland to get him? She has Belgian Shepherds as well.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What you described is not typical of the Dutch Shepherds I have met. Our GSD breeder also breeds Dutch Shepherds. The ones I met seemed very well socialized, nice dogs. In that way they seemed easier than a GSD, but they seemed to have higher energy.
Gretchen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

All ones I've met have been monsters (some to a higher degree than others).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The one girl I met was nice. She wasn't crazy about other dogs and seemed a little clingy but she was far from bad.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyfarm View Post
I assist in a puppy school for pet obedience. One of the customers has a Dutch Shepherd that she admits/boasts that came from a breeder that breeds for "hard" dogs. The pup will not allow anyone to touch it without attempting to nail our hand, with serious intent. This little guy is about 12 weeks, but I don't want my hands torn up each week.

The owner said no one else but her can touch it! One problem I have is that she actually did not see anything wrong with that! And the owner is covered with bites, including her neck..she admits it goes for her with intent as well. NOt the typical play bite/german shepherd bite that we usually see!

I would like to hear if any of you have trained a dutch shepherd. What works with such a reactive breed? Can we make him accepting of us?
Well, none of that sounds pleasant and worse, if that's what she wants him to do, that's what he is going to do.

SO - IF she will allow it - I almost think from reading she doesn't want him to stop - is that true? I would do the whole systematic desensitization thing with him, starting way back and rewarding (clicking - I know people love to hear THAT!) and treating for positive behaviors, doing that whole deal with him. I would even consider a muzzle (I don't know - maybe - certainly up for discussion!).

How does the puppy respond to praise, food, toys, otherwise? In other words, does he seem motivated in any way by things outside of biting?

Is the touching dislike a sensory thing, a space thing, not being used to it, or other? NO comparison, but my sarcoptic mange foster went a week or so without a lot of touching by me and was very mouthy when I resumed touching more again. He needed to be acclimated to touch again. Because he is on a very clear cycle of being touched, biting, being touched less, to the point of having an adult dog who is unable to be touched, no matter the why.

MAN! Don't you wish you could ghost of dog future her so she could see the day when the dog hurts someone and her having to do the unthinkable...if she doesn't turn it around...I wonder if there are any videos of dogs failing evaluations for lack of bite inhibition to show her.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.