Mentally Stimulateing Games - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Mentally Stimulateing Games

Yesterday I played hide and seek with Chief in our basement in the dark. I had Chief stay at the top of the stairs and I had some dog treats and pieces of bread. I would hide then call him and he would sniff all over until he found me. Was quite funny he was right next to me a few times and didn't find me until he made another couple rounds if he took awhile and he was on the other side of the basement I would make a sound and it would perk him up and he would run all over to find me. I think this tired him out more than any amount of exercise I have given him and he seemed so happy and egar to find me. Plus him running up and down. The stairs was tiring him out, because everytime he found me I would go to the stairs point and say upstairs then I would hide again.

I was wondering what are some other fun mentally stimulating games We could play to tire him out.

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

There are TONS of 'tricks' that you can teach your dog. Fastest is to use the clicker..

click this --> Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching a trick

Intro to Clicker Training (perfect for puppies!)

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I have been working on roll over with him and he is doing awesome. I started it earlier in the day, but was getting frustrated, so we stopped. He was so excited about the blongia. He was chomping everywhere bit my hand then when I was bending downtown curve my hand around his shoulder so he would follow it he swung his head trying to get the treat from the other way and smacked me him the mouth and gave me a bloody lip. I decided we would try outside at night instead less distractions and softer than hardwood floor. He was to to excited for me to hand him the food, so I have to toss it, but I only have to make minimal movement and he will roll. I haunt added a cue of course, but all I do is bend down and touch his shoulder. I didn't think he would catch on as fast as he did. He sure proved me wrong. Shows what a nice break does he seems to be super proud of himsel

Chief-GSD
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Bought Chief a new toy today a Kong wobble he just loves this thing!! it didn't take him long to figure it out just lots of up beat praise from me to keep him trying until he figures it out. He is all over the kitchen floor with it diving at it and everything he had a blast and it was good exercise for him he's not tired or anything, but more relaxed and panting he just has a happy look in his face instead of packing around looking bored. I just put in a half a cup of is dog food it is fun watching him think trying to get the food out I never bought this before, well because frankly I didn't think he could figure it out I guess I doubt him to much.

Chief-GSD
Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

We encourage our clients who want to mentally stimulate their dogs to take up tracking.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Is that something I can do at home?? I have kind of laid off training for a bit giving him a break as for awhile I would try and teach him something or do a trick he already and if he didn't get it the first time he would cower off and shut down. I adopted him like 8 months or so ago from an abusive household, so he gets upset easy I have more been trying to play with him and build a stronger bond then will slowly try andbring the training back in.

Chief-GSD
Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

You can start tracking in your front yard (if you have one). You can also teach hide and seek type stuff inside.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Teach your puppy tricks. Obedience training is good mental stimulation, but nothing wears my boy out faster than learning tricks. And its awesome to be able to show off afterwards
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
Laney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I life in a duplex, i have a shared large back yard no fence. How would i begin tracking i think he would have fun he is always useing his nose around the house it would be just for fun of course.

Chief-GSD
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You could try some of the tricks here:

Tricks for Better Thinking Skills DVD
Silvia Trkman

Clean Run: Tricks for Better Thinking Skills DVD

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.