Thunder Training is Helping! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Thunder Training is Helping!

Both Bunny and Jazz are afraid of thunder. Bunny is less of a concern for me because she just likes to curl up beside me during a storm. Jazz on the other hand becomes a basket case. He will tremble, pace, drool, hide, pant heavily, and will not take food.

I decided to try something new today since they were forecasting a possible storm and sure enough it has arrived. As soon as I heard even the slightest rumble of thunder I yelled "Scooby Snacks" and acted all excited and dispensed treats which both willingly took. I've been doing this for about an hour now every single time I hear thunder regardless of how faint it is. I'm acting like a fool every time I hear a rumble but the dogs are loving it. I even got my husband to take over thunder duty while I went to shower. I had to laugh when I heard him running down the hall yelling "Scooby Snacks!" He's not too involved with the dogs' training but he does have compassion for Jazz's fear and will do what he can to help.

The good news is that it has helped significantly. Jazz is still stressed which I can tell from the heavy panting but he is lying by the foot of the couch, not drooling, not hiding, and has taken the treat every time which he's never done before. I was even able to get him to play a little earlier. I think it's working this time because I started as soon as I heard anything instead of trying to give treats when he was already in his highest state of panic.

Just thought I'd share in case this can help anyone else with their fearful dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

"I had to laugh when I heard him running down the hall yelling "Scooby Snacks!" "

I really cracked up when I pictured this!
GSDMUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yeah, I had a good laugh in the shower when I heard it too . The storm ended shortly after my original post so I'd say it was a success. I'm going to do this every time we have a storm and hopefully he will start to make a positive association between the noise and the snacks and over time get over his fear all together.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Look on the bright side. You only only to behave like a nutcase in the house - could be worse - you could a reactive dog outside- then you'd really get some funny looks

So happy things are going well - keep up with the "Scooby Snacks" - it's a good image I bet.
jakes mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes mom View Post
Look on the bright side. You only only to behave like a nutcase in the house - could be worse - you could a reactive dog outside- then you'd really get some funny looks

So happy things are going well - keep up with the "Scooby Snacks" - it's a good image I bet.
Bunny used to be a reactive dog so I'm used to the looks
Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's awesome! Though I admit the mental picture is quite funny

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lol @ scooby snacks.

I was training yesterday too in the thunder. Dakota never hd. Problem with thunder until last years major storm. I even went down to the basement because of the warnings. She's not freaked out by it but will get closer to me than normal but I want no reaction like before. So out came the treats and clicker and we had a great time.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.