Prong/pinch collar vs choke - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Prong/pinch collar vs choke

Our new dog, Beau, and I started training classes this morning at the rescue facility where we got him a couple months ago. What a difference to be in a class around other GSD's (and their owners) who aren't immediately intimidated by the temperaments of these big (and often newly aquired) rescues.

One of the things I learned was that (for some dogs) the pinch collar is a better option than the less-threatening looking choke chain because the pinch offers immediate correction, where as the choke sometimes can take correction after correction after correction to get the dogs attention...and each correction can damage the dog's throat.

I've heard some call the prong/pinch collar the "power steering" of the training collars - it offers the same result as the choke chain, but doesn't take nearly the forces to make it work.

Just curious what you use on your dogs? What's your preference? Was there an age at which you said, "OK...we're ready for the pinch"? Or, if you used the pinch and then transitioned to the choke, how did that go?
Zeus-GSD (1999-2011)
Ica-GSD (1999-2008)
Lobo-GSD (1991-1998)
Cagney-Dobie (1990-1997)

"In dog training, jerk is a noun, not a verb."
law1558 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I strongly prefer the pinch. It was used to redirect Samson and keep him more grounded after dealing with some fear issues. For the most part I kept the leash hooked on both rings - no sliding, just pressure. Worked wonders for him. He is not 100% perfect yet but being so isolated it is very difficult to get in consistent training. I do it where I can though.

The choke I feel takes a lot more force to use, carries far more risk of damage, and in a long-haired dog it backfires anyway because it tends to get caught in the hair and I really don't want him to associate anything with the pain of fur getting ripped out =/.

I would probably never use a choke after the experience I've had with a prong.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would never use a choke collar. I do use a fursaver, but that is on a dead ring.
Choke collars are very cheap and accessible. The local rescue I use to volunteer for always had chokes on hand. I cringed when dogs with no training would pull on them to the point of hacking. I would much rather use a martingale for those dogs, can't slip them, but they won't choke either. They weren't used for 'training' but taking the dogs out for exercise/potty breaks.
A good prong(herm springer) is much more expensive and sometimes hard to find in a local shop, so thats why so many use a choke collar instead. And some people think a prong is a mid-evil contraption that will hurt a dog.

I didn't put a prong on my dogs til they were about 8 months. My female has fear aggression and the prong ramped her up, so I discontinued it for awhile til I got her managed better. I used a flat or a martingale for her during that time.
My male is on a prong when we do protection work, that may ramp him up, but its ok! It is the only way I have full control of his 90#.
I would much rather use a prong collar than a choke, it is safer for the dog during training.
Once a dog is trained then a choke may not be a problem, as they know better than to pull.
Still, I'd never use one.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-04-2011 at 04:34 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

So, is there an "easy" way to get the collar on?? I feel like I don't have the strength in my fingers to press the two ends together to get into the prong link. On top of the fact that the dog is vibrating with anticipation...help!
Zeus-GSD (1999-2011)
Ica-GSD (1999-2008)
Lobo-GSD (1991-1998)
Cagney-Dobie (1990-1997)

Old 12-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by law1558 View Post
So, is there an "easy" way to get the collar on?? I feel like I don't have the strength in my fingers to press the two ends together to get into the prong link. On top of the fact that the dog is vibrating with anticipation...help!
I have a prong collar with a sort of "quick release" thing on it - there's a little contraption on the end that clips into the small chain part of the collar. Easy-peasy to take on and take off.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
I have a prong collar with a sort of "quick release" thing on it - there's a little contraption on the end that clips into the small chain part of the collar. Easy-peasy to take on and take off.
I just did a Google search on the Herm Sprenger...and found a picture of what you're talking about! Uh - yeah - that will make life much easier!
Zeus-GSD (1999-2011)
Ica-GSD (1999-2008)
Lobo-GSD (1991-1998)
Cagney-Dobie (1990-1997)

Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've personally had those break loose on me though, they twist or "hook" and then pop open....leerburg has some good videos on how to properly put a pinch collar on.

I'll pull up the video and see if I can post it here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by law1558 View Post
I just did a Google search on the Herm Sprenger...and found a picture of what you're talking about! Uh - yeah - that will make life much easier!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here it is, instructions for fitting and putting the collar on, with an embedded video...

Leerburg | How to fit a Prong Collar

p.s. when using a prong collar, with the help of a proper trainer, you'll see how much better it is for you and the dog!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Be aware that the quick release collar(or any pinch) can come apart. So use a nylon slip for back-up if necessary.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Today's training DID say to have a choke on (dead ring) as a back up to the pinch. He said it's not a matter of IF the prong will break, it's a matter of WHEN.
Zeus-GSD (1999-2011)
Ica-GSD (1999-2008)
Lobo-GSD (1991-1998)
Cagney-Dobie (1990-1997)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.