Cesar Millan - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cesar Millan

what do you guys think about Cesar Millan training methods
Hachi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know Cesar has been discussed a lot, but anyone have any opinions on the particular case posted in this thread? Was that a permanent fix? Seemed too easy
Dr89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For this video I thought Cesar was right on, not letting the dog be the lead at the kennel door and on his walks (something we should practice more). I often wonder if there are some training methods that Cesar uses that are edited out. He always seems to exercise the dogs and tire them out, I know in my own neighborhood, some dogs are not walked as much as they should be. The owners of this shepherd are the ones that really need the training. I hope the dog behaves once Cesar is gone.

I've only watched a couple other shows of Cesar, and in those videos I felt he his methods were cruel and made the dogs fearful. I question him bringing his own dog to the owner's home, it seems dangerous, our previous dog would not tolerate that at all, but maybe he does have that connection with dogs. That said, I've seen our own trainer work magic with dogs. With the owner the dog is out of control, with our trainer he does not even need to use the leash, the dogs respond well and they seem calm, then back into the hands of the owner again - and back to their bad behavior.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wondered the same thing about him exercising the dog, it's not impossible that by the end of that video the dog was literally just wiped out...who knows how long he roller bladed with him before shooting that walk with the owner etc...

I usually think he does pretty well and obviously in this video the dog WAS acting better, but it just seemed to quick to have really made a permanent impact?

Guess it would be up to the owners at this point, regardless.
Dr89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Caesar is spot on with his "it's the owners" not the dog, in this video the owners dropped the ball with there GSD, and if they listen to what he has to say, the dog will be fine, what makes Caeser so successful is he has no fear what so ever, and the dog knows this,

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

It seems easy because in this case it is. Dogs are simple; we are the ones who make it complicated (for them and us). I am a dog trainer myself and own a GSD (which I love dearly). I have an incredible connection with my dog, which is a shelter rescue. He came from a dog aggressive cage and now passed his CGC exam 2 weeks ago. I did precisely what Cesar Millan advocates (with my own dogs and clients). Exercise - Discipline (I like to call it structure and rules) and only then affection (which includes food). I wouldn't call what Cesar does so much a method but an approach to fulfill you dog's needs and it has worked wonders for mine and all my clients. Dogs are migratory animals. Every fiber in their body is designed for movement and GSDs usually have lots of energy as they were bred for that. If you provide a constructive outlet for that energy your dog realizes that you are fulfilling his needs and will reward you for it with the loyalty a pack leader gets from his pack - I know that sounds a bit esoteric and strange but is absolutely true as I have witnessed that first hand with my own GSD and Pit bull. My GSD is much more to me than a just a dog, he is a companion and we have a very strong bond based on mutual respect - I earned that by fulfilling his needs. Once you do that consistently (7 days a week), he will start responding better to rules as well, as he can focus better. An exercised dog is a calm dog, which can focus on learning. I personally am not a runner so I rollerblade with my dog every day for 30 minutes in the morning and walk him for another 30 minutes in the evening. He is a medium level energy GSD and that is a perfect exercise regiment for him. I also full agree with the meaning of the walk, where the dog follows or is next to you. This is what puts you in charge in your dogs mind - he is just wired that way. The best book by Cesar on this whole concept was 2nd one - Be the Pack Leader. Cesar gets often mischaracterized and his approach shown in little clips out of context – I know that some is harder to watch for sensitive people but all these things usually saved the respective dogs life after traditional trainers gave up or failed; I prefer dogs not being killed and Cesar often only appears after all else has failed and usually succeeds.
CalmLeader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

If my dog was out of control for whatever reason, Cesar would be best person to help me I can think of
Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

"Frustration ... from a male point of view" - Bunk!

Intact males don't get "frustrated".

"It's not wrong for a dog to pee in somebody's back yard - it's actually dominance"

Sometimes a dog just has to PEE!! This is what frustrates me about this guy - he believes that everything a dog does is tied to dominance in some way or another.

I think he should change his name to the Dog OWNER Whisperer because the majority of the time it's the OWNER that he has to fix and not the dog.

In the above video he was right on about the owners being the problem. They had a dog that NEEDED leadership and they didn't provide it. Sending the dog away for a year didn't help matters any for them. Being afraid of the dog was also making matters worse.

Was it a quick fix? For the dog, yes. Will it STAY fixed? That is up to the owners. IF THEY keep up their end of the bargain the dog will keep up his.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
"Frustration ... from a male point of view" - Bunk!

Obviously a womans perspective.

Intact males don't get "frustrated".
Yes they do.

"

Last edited by Jack's Dad; 11-18-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: higlight
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.