Chasing cars.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chowgal Send a message via Yahoo to Chowgal
Default Chasing cars....

Well, since I've had Dixie, she's always tried to chase cars. And at first I was like "ok, I can handle her when she tries..." yadda yadda yadda... Well, now, I've tried her regular collar, the easy walk harness, and even the chain slip collars to try and help with regualr leash training, but nothing stops her, and today she would've been hit by a car coming through behind the car the attempted to get after had I not been quick enough to yank her out of the street. And she was only in the street because she was strong enough to pull me there... I just don't know what to do at this point...
Todd (Pom)

Often joined by:
Max(yorkie)
Li'l Bit(chi)
Snooki(pit/schnauzer X)

Always in my heart:
Cinder(chow):93-95
Dusty(pom):98-01
Tippsy(chow):00-11
Chowgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

properly fitted prong collar will stop that from happening. Probably want a backup collar as well
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I use a prong collar since I have had neck and wrist injuries/surgery and can't afford to get hurt. Shane was 97 lbs and Chance is 107. They work when used properly and do not hurt your dog. Make sure to use the proper sized prongs as well. Shane was a big dog and the large prongs did nothing, had to use the smaller ones to create more of pinch. Chance uses medium sized prongs. Each dog is different. The prongs should be snug but not too tight and never jerk too hard or use like a choke collar (ie, never lift the dog when it is wearing a prong as some trainers do with a choke), a firm quick snap and release with a firm no should work the first time. Once I did that the first time, they never tried to pull me again. The only time I use the prong is when walking. I do not use it in the house. Chance actually runs to the collar hanging on the hook when he wants to go for a walk. I am no expert by any means and if you are not sure about using it, contact a trainer who you trust to help you with it. Hope this helps.
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I also used a prong to fix the car chasing problem. Stosh would lunge at the car when it got close without any warning, so the prong worked wonders! If he lunged, he self-corrected without me doing much besides standing there. It really helped break him of the habit, along with redirecting, 'leave it' and everything else I could think of. I still use it when we go walking at a new place or a public walking trail, anywhere I want extra control and Stosh is like Chance- he gets so excited when he sees it. Just make sure it's properly fitted and worn high-- check out Leerburg's Dog Training, 16,000 pages of dog training information, 300 free streaming videos, DVDs and Free Dog Training ebooks for directions on how to fit and use it
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I put Niko in a sit when I hear a car coming. I have treats, and I keep his attention on me by tossing them into his mouth. We do the "Look At That" game too, so when he looks at the car, he knows he should look at me next because I'll have a treat for him. The closer the car gets, the more treats I throw, so as the car is going by us, I am literally stuffing treats in his mouth. He gets a few more treats after the car has gone by, and then we are on our way again.

It has taken a while for us to get to this point, but he no longer lunges at the passing cars. Instead, he goes into a sit and looks at me for treats.

Good luck, I know how scary it is when that happens.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank y'all for the info! Sorry I didn't get back and reply sooner, I actually forgot about this thread. ~lol~ Whoops...

I've decided that I would wait to use a prong collar as a last resort and got a gently leader head collar, and it has worked well thus far(as much as Dixie hates it...). But seeing as I wanna be able to ween her off of the head collar at some point I might go to the prong to do that.
Todd (Pom)

Often joined by:
Max(yorkie)
Li'l Bit(chi)
Snooki(pit/schnauzer X)

Always in my heart:
Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Years ago I had a big male shepherd that was protection trained and a great patrol dog. Trouble was, was that he was so darned confident, he thought he could take on a car, literally! We tried every conventional training method we could think of to get him to stop thinking he could take down cars, including the old-school yank out of the path of an oncoming car method. Nothing worked. If you think about, as dog owners we tend to think too much from a prevention mindset, rather than a teaching standpoint, so it's no wonder those methods didn't work.

We decided we need to find a better way to EDUCATE the dog, which is most of what good training entails. Here's what we came up with:

We found a parking lot that was empty in the middle of the night. We took a long chain and tied him out to a grated manhole in the middle of the parking lot. We had someone drive a car up to him slowly. Sure enough, he jumped out in front of it and stood his ground. The driver just kept inching forward until he made contact with the dog. Once he did, he just kept creeping foward. Once the dog realized the car was stronger than him, he moved out of its path. From that point on, whenever that dog saw a car coming his way, he made sure not to get in its way; he didn't run, or anything. In fact, when we crossed streets after that, I noticed he ALWAYS looked to make sure he wasn't going to get hit. It almost seemed like he judged their distance like a human would.
MrLeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

This isn't much help for helping an existing chaser but I can just say that where I live - Phnom Penh - is super hectic with thousands upon thousands of 100cc scooters, tuk tuks, trucks,buses,SUVs etc etc and Karma has been walked in and out of it and has been riding in the back of the truck amongst it since she was young. The result is NOTHING phases my dog noise wise. My kid popped a balloon right near her the other day and whereas I think a lot of dogs would have flinched or jumped up and moved, Karma just lay there calmly . And no....she is not deaf. She can hear me whistle from hundreds of meters away !

I think this must be one of the worst traits to develop in a dog given the danger it presents and I really hope the prong collar helps you !

kidkhmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
I put Niko in a sit when I hear a car coming. I have treats, and I keep his attention on me by tossing them into his mouth. We do the "Look At That" game too, so when he looks at the car, he knows he should look at me next because I'll have a treat for him. The closer the car gets, the more treats I throw, so as the car is going by us, I am literally stuffing treats in his mouth. He gets a few more treats after the car has gone by, and then we are on our way again.

It has taken a while for us to get to this point, but he no longer lunges at the passing cars. Instead, he goes into a sit and looks at me for treats.

Good luck, I know how scary it is when that happens.
Exactly how I would handle it.
Halti's and Prongs are band-aids but they do not address the real issue.
You need to begin working him around cars consistently. Start from a distance and reward quiet calm behavior. Then move forward, but before the point that he is lunging. Begin with parked cars then onto moving cars. He is reacting and then rewarded when he lunges and gets distance from you. Since this has happened over and over again he has actually become conditioned to do this.
Utilize the Halti so you have better control but never allow him to react (lunge). If you see the possibility and you cannot redirect him with the "look" then turn and go the other direction.
Consistency is key and will give you results.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank y'all! Dixie has actually come a LONG way since I started working with her on sitting and watching me and getting treats as a car passes. Over the past week or so I've started working on keeping walking when there's a vehicle coming or going(time was becoming an issue with trying to train and walk her for exercise at the same time). And she's doing AMAZING! She'll look at the cars but then she looks right to me for a treat.
Todd (Pom)

Often joined by:
Max(yorkie)
Li'l Bit(chi)
Snooki(pit/schnauzer X)

Always in my heart:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.