Electric Bark Collars??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Electric Bark Collars???

I just received a complaint from a neighbor about my GSD's barking. I have to let him in his outdoor run at 4am because I leave for work. I know my dog is vocal but I don't know if a electric collar is the way to go. Any help would be great thanks!!!
j.marcum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is an alternative to the shock collars. It is the spray collar. Sprays a citrus smelling stuff that is harmless, but dogs hate the smell. There is one at Wal-Mart for about $50.00, which is the one we used for Prince when he went through an uncontrollable stage for about 2 or 3 months. It worked great for us
GermanPrinceHero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I use the electronic bark collars for my dogs and have had good results. These collars only train your dog to be quiet while they are on but I think it'd work for your purpose for sure. I did a lot of research on the electronic vs. spray collars before I got one. I think that for more dogs, the spray is a much harsher, longer lasting correction than the static shock. I also have known multiple people who have had problems with their spray collars malfunctioning - one person has actually gone through 3 or 4 of them, the company keeps sending her replacements because they keep breaking.
AgileGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I could be wrong but I do recall a poster here mentioning not too long ago about an issue with her dog wearing a bark collar at day care and the staff leaving it on, the dog had "burn" like marks in his fur from the collar b/c he was barking a lot.....perhaps someone else remembers???? Just a thought to consider if the dog will be unsupervised for a long period of time.....

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Gib Laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
I could be wrong but I do recall a poster here mentioning not too long ago about an issue with her dog wearing a bark collar at day care and the staff leaving it on, the dog had "burn" like marks in his fur from the collar b/c he was barking a lot.....perhaps someone else remembers???? Just a thought to consider if the dog will be unsupervised for a long period of time.....
This sort of injury can occur with bark collars, ecollars and IF collars but is not caused by "burns" from the collar. Actually, such an injury can also be caused by "dummy e-collars" (which have no battery), spray collars if they have a prong to sense bark vibration and snug fitting prong/pinch collars if these collars are left on for extended periods of time.

If you read the instructions of any e-collar, you will see that it is advised that the dog not wear the collar for longer than X number of hours without taking it off and that the prongs be wiped clean on a regular basis. The injury you are talking about is a rub injury. To work properly, these collars must fit snugly on the neck and the prongs have constant contact with the skin, in the same place. This can allow for dirt and moisture to be trapped between the prongs and the skin, which causes the irritation and sometimes infections that many people (even some vets) assume are "burns". These injuries will not occur when the collar is used as directed and even when they do occur it isn't because of the static shock but because of the prongs rubbing against the neck.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileGSD View Post
This sort of injury can occur with bark collars, ecollars and IF collars but is not caused by "burns" from the collar.

This can allow for dirt and moisture to be trapped between the prongs and the skin, which causes the irritation and sometimes infections that many people (even some vets) assume are "burns". These injuries will not occur when the collar is used as directed and even when they do occur it isn't because of the static shock but because of the prongs rubbing against the neck.
Perhaps I need to clarify, this is not MY opinion it was what some one here said happened to their dog! I actually have an e-collar and have never had issues, but I think the more specific point may be to use the device properly and under supervision.......

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Gib Laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have barkers, they also run the fence and bark with the neighbors dogs. Most of the time they are good, but they will bark at a lot of different things. Yelling & screaming at them don't work, they just think your chimming in. When they run the fence I walk over and place myself inbetween. I put my finger to my lip to give them the "shhh". Same with when they bark for a reason, I will give them more of a hand signal. When I let them out, I go with them. When the weather is nice I do leave them out all day in the yard, I've heard they bark, but I can't believe they are non-stop.
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
Perhaps I need to clarify, this is not MY opinion it was what some one here said happened to their dog! I actually have an e-collar and have never had issues, but I think the more specific point may be to use the device properly and under supervision.......
I was just addressing the belief that such injuries occur due to the collars "burning" the dog. I wasn't saying it was your dog or that you did something wrong.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Instead of putting a barking collar on your dog, why don't you leave your dog in the house in a crate?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well there are many reasons I dont like to crate my dog. We are gone for about 8 hours during the days I work (my wife works m-f 8-5 and I work 12's) And that is way to long to keep an 80 pound shepherd couped up. I also have a Dutch Shepherd (who have a tempermant like a malinois). They love to play and I can't fault them for it. I built a 8 foot x 40 foot dog run in my back yard for them with a dog house (which will be air condtioned soon as we live in Florida) an automatic water bowl and a place to lay in the shade and be lazy. So far only one neighbor has complained and all my other neighbors like my dogs as they are extreamly friendly and social. So I am not sure about how long the bark collars can be on but what I might do is have them on in the morning and have a family member come and remove them about 9am which the guys complaint is that he gets woke up. I dont want to be a nuisance neighbor but my dogs have a right to be outside too. So I guess that is my best option. Thanks all for the advice.
j.marcum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.