German Shepherds Forum banner

Kojak (Barfy) Week five, puppy class

770 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
So we played hooky last week. The boy went through the doggy door and would not come in, and I finally went through the window after him. But it was too late to start the trip to Painesville, so we went to the vet instead and got weighed. No barf.

Sunday he had a nice trip to PA, with Momma Jenna. No barf, there or back. Good boy.

Monday I went to outwit him, by letting him and Quinnie out to play and got ready, and he started working himself up, and by the time I got him in the car, and was backing up, he was herking. Darn! We did have a nice trip to TSC, and everyone loved him. Good boy.

Tuesday, I did fake him out because my contractor was there, and I had to get ready and go to the Engineers' Office, and then the bank and back home, and then I was able to scoop him out and take him up into town. We went to the vet, no barf, to ask a question, then over to the park, no barf, and then back home.

I think Wednesday was the big wind.

Thursday and Friday were rainy and nasty and we didn't go anywhere.

So today I met him at the gate, ready to go, and he went out the doggy, door, but then he came back in and went with me. We were on time. We were actually EARLY. Wow! The trainer's husband asked if my watch was broken.

He was drooling in the car. He did not like be battered around in the back seat, and a couple of times he got knocked down. He would not pee or poop at the training class building -- too many distractions.

The class was ok. His sits -- poor, come front and finish -- passable, recall -- slow, heeling -- fair-good, stay -- needs improvement, down -- average. He's actually doing great. My only issue is (besides barf) is that he is much more interested in other dogs than in me. The interest is not aggressive, he is not barking or lunging or otherwise being an idiot. And he absolutely loves all the other people. He loves the trainers. He love other dog owners. He loves the little kid playing with his phone that could care less.

They made us, one by one go out of sight and call our puppy. The Rotty named Sir, and Kojak were the worse. It didn't help that I was using a "happy-voice" that I never use, and that the accoustics made everything kind of ring and hollow at the same time.

I don't want to do that again. I am not sure what the point was for that exercise at all. I mean, my worst part of the CGC is always supervised separation. Why not just have us leave our puppy, wait a minute and come back. That has a point. But whatever.

The pup liked the funny board thing to walk on, and was happy going through the tunnel. I wish other people wouldn't use treats in the tunnel. I'd rather my dog just rush into and through the darn thing. Instead everyone is trying to figure out what treats are left in there.

Ah well.

Tomorrow's the last week. And then we start Foundations 1. I have to figure out a way to make this more fun for my puppy. Beginning classes kind of suck because they get you ready to do something, and your ready, you get the dog's attention, and then they explain it for 3-5 minutes. Ok. My puppy's attention span is about 25 seconds, and then he wants to be up and checking out the puppy next door, or the dogs on the line in the class behind us. He just doesn't want to sit still for 3-5 minutes while talking is going on.

We drove home. I got to my driveway and he started barfing. I got him out and he finished up outside. Poor guy. In June, we should be starting in Madison, which is about 20 minutes closer and all outside. Also there will be people who are experienced, so less talking more action, different distractions. Hopefully less barf.

Hopefully, there will be two different days, or even 3. I would like to take Quinnie, Ramona, and Kojak to classes.

And if one of the girls goes in heat, Lassie could use a refresher.

See less See more
#3 ·
All I can say is, Sue, you are one dedicated GSD person! Good for you, keep at it. I wanted to try the CGC test, might still, I'm not sure what the right age is, waiting for Phoenix to mature a bit lol. Hope Kodak a.k.a. Barfy's tummy improves over time, wish I could offer some advice, but that's new to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.