German Shepherds Forum banner

Rain Rain Go Away

741 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sanjo 
#1 ·
We have a 10 1/2 week old GSD and so far life has been pretty good given how little she is! She sleeps through the night in her kennel and we never hear a peep out of her, she does well in the kennel during the day and hasn't had any accidents and potty training (with bells) is going O.K. until today. It has been raining since last night and she refuses to go potty outside while it's raining. We took her for a long walk this morning after eating because so far, she poops on a pretty regular schedule and we couldn't even get her to pee. She then came inside right away and peed on the carpet and then pooped on the tile. Any ideas for getting her used to the rain?

#2 ·
You're just going to have to be patient and persistent. Take her out on leash, keep her leash on (you can even tether her to you) in the house so she can't wander off, or put her in the crate for a short time when you come inside, and then try her outside again.

Halo was born in Connecticut in November, by the time she was old enough to go outside there was snow on the ground. I don't know if she'd ever seen rain before, but she was not a fan! We take the dogs outside through the garage, which has a door into the side yard that we use as a dog run. There's also a dog door there, and I had to block it off to prevent her from running back into the garage to do her business to avoid being outside in the rain.

Took her a little while to get used to it, but as an adult, she'll stand around outside in the rain with no problem.

#3 ·
It rained the first week and a half we brought our new pup home. April FTL...

She didn't seem to mind it at all - but we didn't really have a choice since it literally rained nonstop for 7-8 days straight. No umbrella, no nothing - just threw my jacket on and put her on the leash - walked the walk and she did her biz, like it was no big deal. :)

Just keep taking her out and bring lots of treats. Make a huge deal when she pottys outside - rain or shine. If she doesnt potty - you need to put her in the crate and try again in 30-60 minutes until she does go. If you leave her out of the crate - you're going to be cleaning up pee and poo - guaranteed. First few weeks are about consistency and patience.

I always say 'potty outside?' 'potty outside.' - when we hit the grass and she squats almost on command. Pooping however - she's still fussy about where she poops but since we pick it up right after and toss it in the compost - I don't really have a set spot I keep her in to poop. She pees in the same area all the time but the poops are random still. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.