German Shepherds Forum banner

The Excited Tinkle!!!!

781 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  adamf 
#1 ·
MY GSD puppy is now 5 months old. We are lucky that he is to the point of holding it in his crate for 7 straight hours at night and never has accidents in his crate. We are very routine that as soon as he comes out of his crate for any reason he goes out to pee. The frustration lies with the process of taking him out. Whether its been an hour or three he feels the need to release just a little while we are putting his leash on. Never fails he's so excited that he lets a little come out. He knows its wrong too. We run outside and he lets it all out full force and we reward and praise. He's got the routine down. Also, when out of his crate we around the clock let him out every hour to avoid accidents in the house. Any longer and he will go in the house. Blows my mind he can hold it at night for 7 hours!!! But free reign in the house for more than an hour and he will go. My question is am I doing it right?? I feel like if he can hold it for so long at night he should be able to hold it a little longer in the house. And I'm not sure anyone has the "little tinkle release" right before getting out the door?? Any advice or suggestions?

#2 ·
Think about how to get him out of his crate and out of the door as calmly and matter of factly as possible.Try to move slowly and speak not at all or in a quiet soothing voice.Sounds like he just gets too ramped up.The doorway to the rest of the world is a big deal and exciting for him!

#3 ·
My 4 month old gsd puppy does the exact same thing. We spend so much time cleaning the initial sprinkles that we go through a ton of cleaner on this instead of actual full mistakes. He does get extremely excited before getting let out of his crate that probably attributes to the "excited tinkles". I need to figure out how to calm him down before he gets out of the crate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.