Marker Training / Balabanov / Training Club? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Marker Training / Balabanov / Training Club?

Hello!

We have a deposit on a pup that should be ready to come home this summer. Being the slightly OCD person I am, I have been looking into training methods and techniques ahead of his arrival. Michael Ellis and marker training has really resonated with me. I prefer a verbal marker over clicker training only because I am not particularly graceful and I can see myself getting thrown off with timing and clicking and the distraction of having something else in my hands. That said, I live in Plant City, Florida, also home to Ivan Balabanov, whom I have heard, has a very similar philosophy as Ellis.

We do not plan to do any sporting with our pup - he will be a family companion that I would like to do obedience training up through CGC. I grew up with a family who did not properly train their dogs and putting in the time and effort to have a well-trained pup and relationship with him is very important to me. I do not have a whole lot of experience training, but I have watched many videos and read many books (which I am aware is not the same as having the experience) and feel fairly confident that I can at least master the very basics using marker training with my pup. I would like to have some kind of formal program though to guide me after the basics, being somewhat a beginner.

Mr. Balabanov has a program in which he guides your self training (shows you the techniques/tools/resources for what you want to accomplish) at roughly $80 per one hour session for as long or as little as needed (as posted on his website). I am wondering if I should/it is worth it to, seize the opportunity to work with a renowned trainer living practically in my backyard or if I should simply stick with my reasonably priced local training club which offers a very dynamic range of classes up through utility obedience, since I do not plan to do any sporting.

Any advice would be wonderful and much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't jump on training right away. Get to know your puppy. You can do basic things. Look into bowwowflix
SCARLETT27 likes this.

I googled my answer
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:02 PM

I agree with cloud.Get to know and bond with your new puppy before deciding on what training or class would be most beneficial.Check out Stonnie Dennis puppy videos on YouTube.He has some excellent tips for bonding and foundation training
cloudpump and SCARLETT27 like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, Cloudpump, for the advice! And Dogma13, thank you for the video recommendation - I will be sure to watch his videos. It makes sense to get to know your puppy, not only for the bonding of course, but in order to ascertain the best training based on your pup's personality and needs. As I've read on here time and time again, what works for one may not for another
dogma13 likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

Go as soon as you can ignore everyone else. He is a wealth of information and tips and you should get out there and learn from one of the best.

You will walk when it is time to walk
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

Looking down the road does not preclude bonding with your puppy. That said it sounds like your puppy will turn out fine whichever way you chose to go. No doubt training at a clue would be a different experiance that training on your with Ivan's online help??

And certainly being out there with actual dogs ... would make the whole ... train your dog to ignore other dogs bit a more practical??? Aside from that ... "Online Dog Training" seems to be a thing these days. I'm pretty sure, online trained dogs are "Not" the ones giving me grief on neighborhood walks??? A properly trained dog is a properly trained dog ... heck it seems like I "could take advantage" of what Ivan knows ... if I chose to. Hmmm ... something to ponder ... next time. Welcome aboard.
SCARLETT27 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

If I could train with Ivan for 80 bucks that easy, I would have done it yesterday. Wentvto a seminar he did up here, really really excellent. Gobto Ivan
lhczth, onyx'girl, Chip18 and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 PM

If it were me, I would absolutely grab this opportunity. Things change, he may move or whatever. You won't be able to bring your pup out anyways until he's vax protected so you'll have a few weeks bonding til then.

Don't let the opportunity slip away. I'm also a first time gsd owner (he is going on 6yrs old soon) and I didn't know anything about anything when I got him. One f the things I learned is to grab opportunities when they come along irregardless of timing.

Honestly if I were in your shoes, I'd sign up for classes just to observe while waiting for my pups vaccinations to be completed (if it is allowed).

It sounds like you are in a great area for training help.
SCARLETT27 likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Looking down the road does not preclude bonding with your puppy. That said it sounds like your puppy will turn out fine whichever way you chose to go. No doubt training at a clue would be a different experiance that training on your with Ivan's online help??

And certainly being out there with actual dogs ... would make the whole ... train your dog to ignore other dogs bit a more practical??? Aside from that ... "Online Dog Training" seems to be a thing these days. I'm pretty sure, online trained dogs are "Not" the ones giving me grief on neighborhood walks??? A properly trained dog is a properly trained dog ... heck it seems like I "could take advantage" of what Ivan knows ... if I chose to. Hmmm ... something to ponder ... next time. Welcome aboard.
Chip18, the training with Ivan is actually in person, it is the program details that are online...my apologies; I should have been clearer! You make a good point about other pups, distractions and socialization available at club training/group classes!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARLETT27 View Post
Chip18, the training with Ivan is actually in person, it is the program details that are online...my apologies; I should have been clearer! You make a good point about other pups, distractions and socialization available at club training/group classes!
Ah man ... then I'm out but it sounds like it's great for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page