PLEASE HELP - puppy will not stop peeing/pooing inside - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation PLEASE HELP - puppy will not stop peeing/pooing inside

I'm at a loss here I really don't know what to do.
Two days ago I adopted a 9 week old female German Shepherd Husky mix puppy.
She will not. Pee. Or poo. Outside.
On the first day I got her she seemed fine, the previous owner told me she knew how to go outside.
I noticed her jump off the bed and run to my door that leads to the backyard, but I didn't open the door for her because I didn't know she had to pee. Well, she did. Right in front of the door. I didn't think anything of it, I thought to myself well it's fine, I don't mind cleaning it up, so I just cleaned it up. I fell asleep after, and she was running around the room all night long, PEEING EVERYWHERE. She pooped once. Holy cow what a night.
Next day, (yesterday), same thing. All day. The door is always left open for her after that night for her to go outside and go to the bathroom. If she peed in the room I wouldn't do anything but pick her up and take her outside to her spot where she is supposed to go potty, but she would literally immediately run back inside to her pee or poo spot and sniff. So as last night we put her outside to sleep, she has a doggy house, and a bought her a nice pink mat she could sleep on as well as her stuffed animal and toys.
This morning i cleaned the entire room with Boots & Barkley Odor Eliminator that is supposed to get rid of the urine scent so she doesn't think that is her pee territory anymore.!I checked on her and she was sleeping in her house, she looked comfy. I looked at her potty spot and she pooped twice there. She got up and ran over to me, and I looked inside her house and she peed EVERYWHERE inside it. But yet she still has no problem sleeping in it, she's actually in it right now sleeping. Sleeping on pee. I closed the door this morning and I had a treat in my hand to give it to her if she peed or pooped outside. There was a weight scale by her poo spot and ended up pooping on it when I was out there with her. I gave her the treat because hey, at least it's outside. I cleaned up all the poop then (after much flinging and snagging the paper towels and poop away from me). I thought she made her new spot there as she was going there all night long. Nope. Peed and pooped again. Everytime she peed my boyfriend would smack her nose or butt a little bit and tell her a firm NO. Now she's terrified of him and everytime she's in the room and sees him look at her she will literally pee herself from being scared or excited. I went to the store and bought puppy pads for her afterwards, and placed them on the places she's peed and I have tried to run her urine scent on it, but she pees anywhere else. I don't know what else to do here. She pees or poops wherever she pleases and will literally go halfway outside and will pee inside as her front legs are out, then walk back in the room. Or if I think she's going to pee and I place her to her outside spot she will immediately run back inside to pee inside.

PLEASE HEP ME I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO :'(

Last edited by chuuuu; 04-19-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 PM

Your pup is young and adjusting to a new life. You need to actively take her outside a lot. Our pup is almost 5 months, and when he was 10 weeks old I was taking him outside every hour. He still had some accidents and it took him a little bit to learn where to go.

I'm not quite understanding how the dog is running back inside. Are you leaving the door open? If so, don't. Make her stay outside to use the bathroom, and then reward and praise her like crazy.

Do everything you can to help her succeed. Anything that makes it easier for her to learn what you want her to learn will be to both of your advantage.

Edit to add:
Also, you need to be very careful about physically correcting a puppy this young. It's a very stressful event for her. She's only been with you for a couple of days. She is in a new environment without mom or siblings, with new people. She probably has no idea why your boyfriend corrected her, that's why she is afraid of him now.

Happy to be here.

RIP Roscoe 6/13/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by np307; 04-19-2017 at 10:05 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes I close it sometimes I leave it open, because I don't want her to pee or poo outside when it's her only option to go. I feel like it's not going to be teaching her because it's her only option she doesn't have a choice but to go there. It doesn't teach her anything

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuuuu View Post
Sometimes I close it sometimes I leave it open, because I don't want her to pee or poo outside when it's her only option to go. I feel like it's not going to be teaching her because it's her only option she doesn't have a choice but to go there. It doesn't teach her anything
It will teach her because you are going to take her out there a lot and reward her for peeing or pooping out there. Don't give her a chance to fail. She doesn't need choices, she needs structure.
ksotto333 likes this.

Happy to be here.

RIP Roscoe 6/13/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Tether the puppy to you, do not allow her to run free around the house without supervision. She is a baby baby. You have had her for 2 days. Give her a chance to adjust and figure out the rules of the house. You are expecting an awful lot of a baby.

Get a crate, google crate training. Let this puppy succeed. If she has an accident at this stage of her life, its YOUR fault. YOU need to be paying attention, you need to be actively watching and making sure she gets out and rewarding when she goes outside.Its takes a few WEEKS. Not a few days.

Dont leave her outside by herself, she is a baby, she can get stolen, she get eat things that get stuck or poison her. You wouldnt leave a toddler outside at night by itself because it wasnt potty trained. Give this poor baby a break and tell your boyfriend to stop hitting her. Jimminy, would he hit a 2 year old child for pottying in his diaper? This puppy has no concept of what is acceptable, you can not punish what is not known. You cant.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

You could start by ... not smacking her on the nose for something she does not understand. It's a baby and she needs to be "Trained" and doing that with a puppy means your not going to be getting a full night's sleep for a couple of weeks.

She needs to be out of the bed and in a Crate and you need to set a timer so you can take her out every 3 to 4 hours or so. A puppy is a lot of work if your not prepared to deal, then she should consider rehoming her and getting an already done older dog.

But assuming your kinda new at this ... here is some of what you need to know. :

Others with more recent puppy experiance than myself will chime in ... "Welcome Aboard."
giebel likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 PM

Don't let the puppy jump up or off the bed or anything else for that matter - she is too small for this.
Do not leave her alone outside, anything could happen to her.
You need to think of her as a baby who doesn't know anything, you are there to teach her what is right and what is wrong. Anything she does wrong is because you haven't taught her what is right.
Don't smack/punish a little puppy.

Get her a crate (a small one, that has just enough space for her... research the correct sizes online) to sleep in so you can keep her locked up at night (inside next to your bed or near you) when you are sleeping and can't watch her. Set your alarm to wake up every 3 hours to take her outside to pee. Stay with her outside... when she pees/poops name it... I say "toilet" and then give her a treat/lots of praise as soon as she is finished before going back inside. Puppies can hold their bladders for their age in months plus 1... so 9 weeks is 2 months plus 1 so she can hold for the max of 3hrs... this is a generalisation and does not apply to all puppies... you need to see what works for her.

During the day she can also nap in the crate. Get some baby gates or an ex-pen so that she doesn't have full access to the entire house. You should have your eyes on her at all times when she is loose in the house. Take her outside every half an hour when she pees/poops name it... I say "toilet" and then give her a treat/lots of praise as soon as she is finished before going back inside.

Eventually you will be able to say "toilet" and she will do her business because that is how you've trained her.
Chip18 and Diegotxe like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Tether the puppy to you, do not allow her to run free around the house without supervision. She is a baby baby. You have had her for 2 days. Give her a chance to adjust and figure out the rules of the house. You are expecting an awful lot of a baby.

Get a crate, google crate training. Let this puppy succeed. If she has an accident at this stage of her life, its YOUR fault. YOU need to be paying attention, you need to be actively watching and making sure she gets out and rewarding when she goes outside.Its takes a few WEEKS. Not a few days.

Dont leave her outside by herself, she is a baby, she can get stolen, she get eat things that get stuck or poison her. You wouldnt leave a toddler outside at night by itself because it wasnt potty trained. Give this poor baby a break and tell your boyfriend to stop hitting her. Jimminy, would he hit a 2 year old child for pottying in his diaper? This puppy has no concept of what is acceptable, you can not punish what is not known. You cant.
Op, in case you skipped this the first time read it.
griz and NerdicEclipse like this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 AM

You need to go outside with her, at least every 2 hours, probably more frequently. Make sure she does her business and reward her when she does. Make a big thing of it. Resign yourself to the fact that you have a new baby in the house and you aren't going to get much sleep for several weeks.

Take her outside after she eats or drinks, when she wakes from a nap, after she plays, and regularly all during the day AND night. This is nothing she will figure out on her own. You have to teach her.

Never punish her for making a mistake. She doesn't know what the rules are and punishment will only confuse her. She has to learn the rules first and that's your responsibility.

As others have said, get a crate and teach her to be happy in it. But a crate is not a place you can stash her so you don't have to get up with her. You still have to do the work it takes for her to figure out where the bathroom is.

House training a puppy is big and exhausting job. It's a major commitment and responsibility, but it will pay off if you do it properly. It will go more quickly if you do it right the first time.
Chip18 and Diegotxe like this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

You guys are literally telling me everything I'm already doing. You act like we're beating her and we're not, it was literally a tap, and no we don't hit her. I have tried crate training her and she will soil her bed and she doesn't mind sleeping in her own pee. She doesn't let me know when she needs to go, she just does. When I take her outside every half hour to an hour, she will run around digging holes or something and as soon as I open my door she runs in and does her business...... and when I put down a puppy pad for her I tape it down to the ground (because she previously just eats and plays with the pad regardless if I smeared her pee on it first or not), and she will rip off and play with the tape and when I try to tape it back down again she constantly just jumps all over me, so please tell me what I'm supposed to do on that. Whenever she comes in the room she will run around the entire room peeing everywhere. And since her pee leaves her mark I have to scrub scrub scrub at least 8 times a day, each for about 20-30 minutes to get all the smell out.
This is my first puppy. I love her to death. We don't hit her, and we don't make her suffer.
We have tried EVERYTHING. I do not know what to do. I really don't.

Edit: so she's never aware of her going potty in the room? (according to you) . interesting, is there anything dogs are aware of then? they're not dumb.

Last edited by chuuuu; 04-20-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page