German Shepherds Forum banner

Crate Accidents

920 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
So we've had our female GSD now for about 3wks. Gingr will be 3mths old on March 5th 2017. House breaking has been going well, very few accidents and when they do happen it's mostly our fault for ignoring or missing a huge cue. She has been really trying and working at it, taught her to go to the back door and ring a bell when she needs to go out. She is crate trained and gives no fuss at night when it's bed time. Today we left her in her crate for 4.5hours when we both had to be out on the house and she didn't have an accident in her crate :) But we let her out and she was too exited to see us she mini peed and then later dropped the big pee in our hallway (our fault for not making sure she fully peed when we got home)

But then tonight and a few other random nights out of no where she will pee in her crate and then sort of continue to pee as we take her out and carry her outside after only 1-2h of being in the crate for bedtime....(water was cut off 2h prior to bed and plenty of going out to pee before bed)

We have never had a poo accident in the house except for day #1. But this bedtime crate peeing is worrying me, because she never has an accident during the day in the crate. She also doesn't whine at night when she's peeing in her crate (I do believe she realizes she shouldn't be doing it)

I know she's still young but please any advice or suggestions as I don't want this to become a habit.

(Also I make a point to take her out usually twice through the night.....3h after going to bed and then usually 4 hours after that and it's been working great usually.....)

We've had 4 bedtime crate accidents since bringing her home (3wks)

See less See more
#2 ·
Your pup is still very young. What may help the bedtime crate accidents, is a good walk and playtime before bed to tire her out. Hopefully then she will start to sleep through the night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.