German Shepherds Forum banner

Advice.

927 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  car2ner 
#1 ·
Hello all, hopefully this is in the right place as I am fairly new and have a few questions. I am looking for advice and help.

Walt is roughly 14/15 weeks old currently and my Wife and i couldn't be happier. Walt is very happy too and he seems to have taken to me very well as he is forever following me about and laying at my feet which is great.

He was terrible on the lead at first (just sat on his bum ) but now is walking fine. What is the best way to teach him 'heel' ( so he always walks on my left and never pulling )

I have tried my best to introduce him to new things as soon as possible in the hope of it paving dividends further down the line. He has had play dates with other dogs on numerous occasions and has been around kids and many different people and has done extremely well in those circumstances and it's been a great experience for him too. We started puppy classes last week but for whatever reason, he was more interested in the other dogs than me so it has made me realise that he's maybe not doing as well in regards to listening to me as I thought as when we are at home, he will sit, lay down and stay without a problem. I am going to try and introduce Focus/Watch me before the next class. One of my questions is, I don't know how to properly correct a behaviour if he doesn't do what is asked of him, any suggestions other than e-collar?

We've given him baths but he isn't fussed with the hairdryer and now come to think of it, the Hoover is also a problem as he barks at it. How do I stop this?

In regards to training, should I be doing 15/20 minutes twice a day/once a day or every other day?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
With the classes, try to be very animated and engaging while you work, you need to make yourself more exciting/interesting than whatever else is going on. If we're waiting our turn or some other instance where you have a minute you can do short focus or targeting without being disruptive. I primarily used verbal corrections or physically removed them along with a verbal "no". You can teach the "leave it" as well and it's simple to train. Not sure about training schedules, I just did short sessions 5-10 whenever time permitted.

#3 ·
It takes some time and practice for your puppy to work with you in new places and with distractions.What they learn in the house doesn't automatically transfer to the yard,a park,at class,etc.Sometimes it doesn't even transfer from room to room in your home!If you always train in the kitchen he may get confused in the living room.It's perfectly normal.

#4 ·
Hello all, hopefully this is in the right place as I am fairly new and have a few questions. I am looking for advice and help.

Walt is roughly 14/15 weeks old currently and my Wife and i couldn't be happier. Walt is very happy too and he seems to have taken to me very well as he is forever following me about and laying at my feet which is great.

He was terrible on the lead at first (just sat on his bum ) but now is walking fine. What is the best way to teach him 'heel' ( so he always walks on my left and never pulling )

I have tried my best to introduce him to new things as soon as possible in the hope of it paving dividends further down the line. He has had play dates with other dogs on numerous occasions and has been around kids and many different people and has done extremely well in those circumstances and it's been a great experience for him too. We started puppy classes last week but for whatever reason, he was more interested in the other dogs than me so it has made me realise that he's maybe not doing as well in regards to listening to me as I thought as when we are at home, he will sit, lay down and stay without a problem. I am going to try and introduce Focus/Watch me before the next class. One of my questions is, I don't know how to properly correct a behaviour if he doesn't do what is asked of him, any suggestions other than e-collar?

We've given him baths but he isn't fussed with the hairdryer and now come to think of it, the Hoover is also a problem as he barks at it. How do I stop this?

In regards to training, should I be doing 15/20 minutes twice a day/once a day or every other day?
The bolded, wanted to add, talk to your trainer at class about corrections. When training, corrections need to be fair, only correct for things you're sure he knows.

#5 ·
Dogma is totally correct. Work with your puppy in various places. He'll learn something at home and then needs to learn it means the same thing in every other place, transference of knowledge. Take him to Lowes, to Tractor Supply, anywhere they allow dogs and make it fun. Let him walk around and sniff things, explore, add in an occasional sit or watch me. Teach him to look at you when you say his name. The more places you practice, the more he will learn the commands.

#7 ·
now come to think of it, the Hoover is also a problem as he barks at it. How do I stop this?
My three year old barks at the Hoover / Vacuum. Let's face it. An upright is in the classic play pose, makes growly noises and smells like the whole house and everyone in it all mixed together. When I get tired of the barking I yell "No" and then "Sit" and offer treats when he is quiet. I could get him to stop completely if I were consistent. With a previous machine he would lay still and I could clean the floor all around him, but the new machine is so much more interesting.

For awhile, clean your floors with a pocket full of tiny treats. Have a spot chosen for the pup to watch from and treat your pup for being there. You may have to chose a spot for each room, perhaps the doorway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.