German Shepherds Forum banner

The Werewolf went back to school today.

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Galathiel 
#1 ·
Well, Quinnie, had a set of classes many months ago. And she made it to 4 out of the 6 classes in the session. Mostly she did ok, but stays were our arch nemesis. But work and other important things (taking Moofie to the Classic) got in our way, and I missed the last 2 classes. So yes, that set of classes ended in December of last year.

Since then, she's been a great pet, but no training. None. We've gone to the vet a couple of times, and went swimming in a puppy buyer's swimming pool.

Wait, the girls took her to one of the two sessions, where they were supposed to learn how to handle a dog. Ramona was too much, so I brought Quinnie the next week. So the girls did a little work with her that day.

But other than that, she's pretty much been hanging around playing with her toys, and sharing Babsy's retired life.

But not today. Today, we started our Advanced Class -- for dogs that have completed Foundations 1 (which making it to only 66% of the classes last year, not sure if that really counts. But we signed up for it anyway.

There were a bunch of dogs: a very nice sable long haired GSD bitch; Dozer, the pit bull, that I have been to classes with before; A pretty 8 month old Golden Retriever rescue; A springer spaniel with a Hillary bandana, whose owner knows me from other classes; a very young Doberman; A poodle I wanted to strangle; and a Lab, and I think another dog. There were eight of us in all, but also a foundations 1 class going on in the other end of the room.

Quinnie was still not good with stays but much better than last year, even though we haven't worked on them at all. She was very good about not pulling. Her sits were awesome. Her come-fronts, good. Her downs got worse as the session went on. Her left finish was good. Right finish (around) wasn't, but I don't think we ever did it before, and she was getting it. So that was good.

We had fun. I wouldn't do the offer the pup a treat but don't let them have it unless they stop and look at you. It seems like teasing. All my dogs take treats carefully, so there is no snatch and grab here, so I am just not into that.

Somehow, I was able to get up, take care of everyone, clean the crate, move the dog food out of the car, move the shelf out of the back of the car -- it's a chevy sonic, and then put my work computer down under the floor and my shoes, put the back seats down, put the crate in the car and the dog food back in to keep the crate from moving, groom the werewolf and load her up, shower, drive to Painesville, go to class, drive home, drag the crate inside, and put the werewolf away, pull the dog food back out of the car, put the shelf, computer and shoes back in place, put the back seat up, put the dog food back in the car, get gas, drive to work, work for 7 hours, drive here, and watch the rest of the world series game 4. Go Tribe.

Other days, I am rushing out the door, running late for work, and just taking care of the critters before work.

Trying to get the werewolf ready for the Classic in Cleveland. Better check to see if I got her papers sent in yet.

See less See more
#5 ·
Well, we've made it to week four. Sometimes it is good to look back a bit to where you were.

Her stays were phenomenal today. Why? I have no idea. None. We haven't worked on them since last week in class. She was better last week in class, but something clicked between then and now, and today, I was able to go to the end of the long line with either a sit or a down, and I was able to wrap up the long line and take it to the table, and when I was at the end of the long line I was able to move over to the lady next to me and talk to her, and Quinnie was a superstar.

She was pretty good about not pulling. Sits, very good, downs yucky still. Stand, was not there yet. Sit/stay for exam excellent. Come fronts acceptable. Come without snatching the marshmallow off the floor in front of her, Good. Say hello -- where she can go forward and sit and allow petting from the instructors, Excellent.

I'd give her a B+ -- her need for a little touch on the shoulder for the moving down, and then turning into a wet noodle once down there removed her from an A--.

But, her trainer (me), deserved an D-- performance from her today, so her trainer (me) is proud as punch as her.

In fact, my trainer complemented her, and I told her I got two more at home. She asked, are they good like her? I said, "No, they are six month old puppies." Ah well. She is a sweetie. She haired up the back of my car so I had to by a lint roller and go after the hair. She's shedding. It is snowing out there and she is shedding. Go figure.

She crashed on the back seat all the way home. I told her how pleased I was with her.

#6 ·
The werewolf finished her class last Saturday. We missed week five. It was raining, and I couldn't drag myself there. I feel waterlogged by incessant rain.

On week four her stays were beautiful. So, missing week five, I was a little concerned about backsliding. No way. She was awesome again. She makes me so proud.

We walked together as a group with come fronts and finishes. We stayed as a group, on sit and down. We got into a large circle and had our dogs stay while we went to the end of our leads to the middle. Then we called our dogs, and then when we were all in a rather tight circle, one by one we walked with our dogs in and out around all the people and dogs. We were called on first, and Quinnie did not disappoint.

I did not bring treats to class and gave her none. But the instructor gave us each a bag of chocolates, candy canes, and milk bones. So she got those in the car. Then we went to McDonalds. I got my two hamburgers and a small fry and got ten cheeseburger's plain for the dogs. I gave her one in the car.

Then I passed some out to the rest of my crew. I put Quinnie in with Babsy. I threw Babsy her Cheeseburger and she caught it on the fly. I then handed one to Quinnie. She put it down and looked at me, and Babs slipped right behind her and snagged it. LOL.

So today, I put Babs down in their area, and I let Cujo and Hepsi come up with Quinnie. Everyone got cheese. Good. Everyone ate their own cheese. Double good. Hepsi held forth on the sofa, and snarled at Quinnie when she jumped up there on to her. I stopped that, but Quinn got the message and all was good. Quinnie wanted to play with Hepsi, and both wanted to sniff each other's stuff, but Hepsi wasn't into playing like Cujo, and so the little werewolf reminded me why I call her that.

She was playing with him, trying to bite his front legs, and sparring with her mouth wide open. I mean, most of the time she is like more than half human. But she was all wolf with Cujo. Love those werewolf teeth!

So I put Hepsi and Cujo back downstairs and brought up Babsy, and let the two have the house while I had lunch. Left over pork roast and greasy potatoes and apple sauce. I created a monster by giving them grizzle and fat while I was eating. And finally, I broke the bone into two and gave them to the girls -- I know, I shouldn't give cooked bones. But these didn't seem like the kind to splinter.

Well, anyway, Quinn took hers in the living room and was working on it, Babs was working on hers in the Kitchen, and all was good. Ten minutes later I put Quinnie down in her area, and noticed that Babs was on her bed in my room working on Quinnie's bone. I was going to take it and toss it to Quinn, but then I just said, "You stole it fair and square" and let her have it.

Poor Quinnie. Some of my dogs just let themselves be robbed blind. And others are master thieves.

Training is once again on the back burner. We are buried in 2 feet of snow, and I have been enjoying just spending time with the dogs. I don't like driving in the snow, so I will wait until it is less likely for there to be crappy weather before we start training again.

I would have liked to take her to the Classic, but I am glad I didn't sign her up. It was this weekend. She would have qualified. But it's been a blizzard every day. And rushing home, dropping off the dog, and rushing back to work would have been near impossible and dangerous.

Quinnie's Aunt Matilda, was there on Thursday with her owner and got her PCDX title. Not sure exactly what that is. Matilda is Joy's litter sister, so 7 years old. Lots of letters after her name.

Maybe next year. Or maybe I will be do her title at other shows this spring/summer. We'll see.

#8 ·
I think she is about 13 - 14 months old. Yes, she is good with other dogs. I took her a couple of times to my friend who has 5 sheps, and called in a bunch of friends with sheps, and there must have been 8-12 of them there.

And once over to PA to play with Woden and another dog that away. She likes to play with Cujo and Hepsi. She LOVES to play with Jenna, Nikki, and Nina, but then she had some weird, funky, exercise intolerance, and I have not repeated that, and we havent had any more trouble yet.

There are a few barkers/lungers on the other side of the training room, but Quinnie wasn't effected by them lunging/barking at her, at least it didn't carry over to the next week.

#9 ·
Well four months later, nearly to the day. Kojak has been going to classes on Saturdays, and Quinnie has been truant since December.

I took her to PA today. Friends over there have gotten a new puppy about Kojak's age, but he is a grabby little thing. 4 month old and leads with his teeth. The last couple of weeks I was taking Kojak to socialize with him, but they have friends with an adult WL female about 4 years, and I thought it would be a good idea for him to meat Quinnie first.

So, I got her in the car and off we go. Half way there she starts crying. Badly. Insistently. I tell her to wait. She did. She had to potty in the worst way, but she waited. Good. No puke either since Barfy was left at home. (Going to try ginger snaps with him before class next week.) Boy the new car is getting a drubbing. Now I keep a roll of paper towels and Nature's miracle in the back as a precaution. At least there was not poop or urine to add to it. I already have two little trees hanging from my mirror. LOL!

Anyway, Quinnie. I was so proud of her. The little tyrannosaurus rex was as grabby as usual, and she would take that for a little then move herself out of range. Never showed him any aggression. Good. Had her completely off lead. There are no fences, but it is right up on the lake and there are woods on the three other sides.

Anyway, when she got more than about 15 or 20 feet away, I just called her. She came right to me, and I had her sit, and she sat right in front. Several times. Good girl! A couple of times she strayed into the flower beds, and "Out of the Flowers" worked, and this isn't anything I trained. Flower beds? Me? ROFL!!! Anything green gets near me and dies.

She tried to follow my friend in the house, and me and the other owner were walking behind, so I called her to me and had her heel next to me on the way back to the house. She did it. Wow. It wasn't perfect, but she stayed right with me.

They put the pup in its crate for a nap while we ate. I brought her in to the dining room, and put her on a down-stay. We talked through dinner and she stayed right next to me, lying on the floor, for about an hour and a half.

Ok, that may not be special for an 18 month old puppy, but this girl really hasn't been told anything, save "Don't poop in my house" before we go to bed at night.

A couple of times I praised the stay, and before desert, I took her out and gave her a chunk of BBQ chicken.

She was really nice to the lady. They lost their dog a few months ago, and got this puppy, and since then have been sporting band-aids. He leads with his teeth. This little girl was allowing petting and was giving her kisses, and being very affectionate. (I know there was a few pieces of cheese smuggled to her after dinner, by her (Quinnie's) new lady-friend.) I am sure Quinnie would have been happy to stay there, LOL.

Back outside, and only a word kept her out of the pond when a frog jumped in. And then she sat on the deck with us while we talked, until the sun set. What a pleasant puppy. Where was the little monster that was barking and jumping and acting the fool at Milla the whole time I was trying to get them some food last night, and again this morning while I spent hours threading a new hose around and tie-wrapping it to the tops of fence-gates? Well, anyway, glad the body snatchers got her and turned her into a nicely trained, calm, sweet bitch when I wasn't looking.

I love this little girl.

Reactions: Freyja
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.