German Shepherds Forum banner

Disciplining a puppy.

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Baillif 
#1 ·
Just wondering how everyone disciplines a puppy, or stops unwanted behaviour. My 4 month old will not stop hitting with her paws. I have tried teaching her to shake, it didn't help. I've ignored her. I've told her no. Nothing seems to work. As soon as she gets excited she starts with the pawing, and she does it to everything!

#2 ·
Verbal marker, you use your words not physical corrections. And training a behaviour you do want ...

Not what I did but our puppies chomped on my wife much longer than did on me! Most likely "I" grabbed just grabbed there jaw and did not let go for a few seconds?? That was not her style ... worked out fine for me. :)

#3 ·
Well, though I do let some dogs to touch my face with the tops of their muzzles (not really licking) without any disgust, I find it pretty unhygienic to keep my fingers greasy and in saliva during every session. Besides, not all dogs are food reactive. Or, maybe she feeds superhard treats which help to keep your fingers dry? Are they healthy? Some treats could be addictive, you know. Promotion of treats for imbecile dogs - I knew that some percentage in our society is getting crazy.

#5 ·
I'd much rather train and reward a behavior that you do want rather than punishing the behavior you don't want. One of the first things a foster dog or puppy in my home learns is that they don't get anything they want if they're being hyper and crazy. Whatever they want-- food, love, attention, pets, playtime-- they get it when they're sitting with their butt and both front feet on the floor. I always make sure they're sitting nicely before giving any food or attention or whatever else they want. Feeding time? You sit nicely to eat. When I come home from work, nobody gets attention until they're sitting nicely. Early in the process you might have to stand there and wait a while for them to get bored and sit down, but the split second that fuzzy butt hits the floor and both feet are down, you praise and give them what they want. Once they get the idea you can draw it out longer but in the beginning you'll have to watch and reward quickly.

#6 ·
i had a very mouth-aggressive puppy that just cut up my arm and legs all over. my arms bled, yes

i have tried walking away, yelping, timeouts, isolations, air horns, positive reinforcement training, until one day, i got bit real bad, and i inadvertently grabbed a collar that was sitting on my table and used it to whip my dog in the butt

this was between the ages of 10wks to 3m of age

during that time i think i ended up whipping him anywhere from 10 to 15 times, not hard

ever since then all i had to do was a firm NO and a pointed finger in his face, and he listens

yes it wasn't pretty but it was my very first dog and i was GENUINELY worried that i ended up with an aggressive dog.... i was looking into trainers and boarding schools that dealt with aggressive puppies

later i find out that it's just normal GSD puppy behavior..

wish i didn't have to resort to physical punishment but the dog is growing up happy and healthy and we love each other very much !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.