German Shepherds Forum banner

My puppy uses my grandmother's room as a bathroom ??

857 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Bramble 
#1 ·
I'm a first time GSD (puppy) owner. I have had other dogs (older, never pups) in the past which is probably why I'm so stumped.
I picked Nara up from the breeder yesterday and she was perfect-- so sweet and she attached herself to me quickly. She follows me everywhere I go, even if it's just across the room. She is about 10 weeks old and I wanted to start potty training asap, but I knew it wasn't going to be perfect asap. I put down pee pads and she used them last night and today for a couple of hours. She then started using my grandmother's room as a restroom. She pooped on her bed, and then floor a while after. I tried walking her before this, but she just doesn't want to. She cries and cries and I have to drag her as she struggles to get out of the harness and back into the house. So, she doesn't do her business outside. So she does it in my grandmother's room for some reason rather than the pads/outside. I don't know what's wrong. Just about 20 minutes ago I took her out and the same struggles and no relieving herself. Literally as soon as we get inside, she gets atop my grandmother's bed and pees. I don't know what to do. I've thought about a trainer but the majority cost a lot of money and I'm not sure if I'm willing or if it's worth it. Pleaaaase help!!
I also want to point out she is a total sweetie besides that. She shares her food, water, toys ETC with no problem and nips a bit when she plays but that's it. It's extremely light.
Giving her back/away is out of the question. I know in the end it'll all be worth it but I just want to know how to get through the here and now.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would shut off her access to the room. Work on getting her used to the harness or get a flat collar. Let her walk around and explore. I used to have to spend 45 minutes a time with my pup outside just letting him explore. As soon as he went it was hyper praise and treats. He figured out pretty quick what made everyone happy.

#4 ·
She's afraid of being outside and/or possibly afraid of the harness.Take a used pee pad outside where you want her to go,preferably a shady,grassy area.Cement or gravel is too hot and uncomfortable.If the area is fenced no need for a harness,let her find a spot she likes.
Keep grandmas door closed.Take her out hourly.I would not encourage her to potty inside,it's too confusing.I'm hoping you are crate training or at least she has a small area blocked off just for her.

Reactions: Ripley2016
#8 ·
It you just got her yesterday then she is very much still adjusting and I would not panic yet. I think you are expecting a lot out of a puppy you just got a day or so ago. What sort of potty routine did her breeder have? If she was still going potty in the house that may be why she won't go outside. I know when I picked up Finn at 8 weeks my breeder told me the pups were being taken outside to potty, which made things easier for me. If you take her out and she does not potty just pop her into a crate for 5-10 minutes then take her back out, keep it up until she potties then praise and reward. If she hasn't pottied don't give her free run of the house. I crated or put Finn in an ex-pen when I wasn't watching him, it gave me peace of mind knowing he was somewhere safe, and it gave him clarity in that all the things in that environment could be chewed on and played with. I gave him supervised time around the house after he had pottied. I don't give young pups free run of the house because it only take a minute of distraction for them to wander off and have an accident or get into something they shouldn't. They don't know right from wrong yet so I want to make sure I am right there watching them every second to make sure they make the right choices. Giving free run is asking for them to learn bad habits like pottying in the house, chewing things, ect... It is nice to have a little pup following you all over, but the downside is them going off to potty, or chew, or swallow something when you are distracted. I don't like pee pad unless they are necessary. I think it can be confusing for a puppy, yes you can pee and poo inside, but only in this spot otherwise I get upset.

I wouldn't drag her, this is not going to make being on the leash or going out to potty a good thing. If she will follow you around just leave her off leash or let her drag it. Praise and reward for her following after you, keep it light and fun, she is a baby and just had a huge change in her life. She is probably confused and more than a bit unsure. Give her as much clarity in her life as you can, and set her up in an environment where she can't make wrong choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.