German Shepherds Forum banner

House Training 9 Week Old & Leash Training

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ripley2016 
#1 ·
We brought our German Shepherd puppy home last week, and she is 9 weeks old tomorrow. I have been taking her out every 1-15 minutes, and she usually goes potty. I always make sure to praise her. I bring her in, and before the next 10-15 is up she has went potty somewhere in the house. I don't get mad. I just remove her to clean the mess, and then take her outside. I have started putting her in her crate after she has went potty outside, and then played a little inside. She hates the crate and whines and cries. After a while she settles down and is ok for about an hour, and then I take her back out.

Today when I take her outside she just wants to pee, and run to the back door to go in (we have a large fenced yard). I call her back to me, and we walk around a lot, but she doesn't do her other business. She is not even consistent about going after she eats. For instance today it has been over an hour since she ate, and she hasn't even had a BM yet. It is very random.

Also, I have tried to take her outside on a leash, and she hates it. She won't go potty, and she fights having to walk when on it. I am patient, and never get upset. I just don't know how to get her used to it.

I would love any advice. House training is the most stressful part of getting a new puppy for me. It seems like even if I take them out a lot and praise them, I still end up with lots of accidents in the house.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let her drag around a short length of rope or a cheap leash attached to her collar to help acclimate her.Don't let her eat it!
Keeping her close to you and not letting her wander into another room will speed up the potty training.You'll learn to read the signs of her having to go.Some people have success putting a bell by the door.Whenever you take her out,touch her paw or nose to the bell.

Just when think they'll never get it,then they do:)

#4 ·
So I also have a 9 and a half week old puppy. He came home about 2 weeks ago. Right away I was having these same issues. I was feeling down about it and was very frustrated. Just be persistent. I am not the most qualified person to comment, but I wanted to offer you some much needed encouragement because I have seen very recently how stressful it is.

Rocky had to go so much that first week. We made it a point to start really paying closer attention to him, getting him on a schedule, and using the crate to our advantage to stop him peeing inside. At this point he is darn near housebroken, it has been about 5 days since he has had any accident in the house. His bowel movements were very much what you described, but with us being consistent as to when and how much he eats, it has improved.

Be positive and be consistent. We had an ah-ha day where you could see things starting to click with him. You will get that too. Smile, you have a new puppy!

#5 ·
Okay first she is a baby and doesn't yet know what is going on. Be consistent. Potty training can take a few weeks. If you are still having problems at week 15 then we can talk more. But if you are consistent around week 12 you will see a shift.

Outside is scary for this little on. Be consistent and make it fun and it will turn around.

Very common for puppies to be confused and worried about leashes and to sit down on walks and refuse to leave the house grounds. Again, be consistent and pleasant and it will change around quickly.

Training takes time and investment of effort. Don't expect too much out of a 9 week old. You will be training her for 3 years. Get it into your lifestyle.

Also read the puppy section of this forum. Lots here that will answer your questions.

Reactions: Ripley2016
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.