German Shepherds Forum banner

Socializing with other dogs KATO's Dad nEEDs help

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
So kato does well meeting new dogs most of the time but everyone once in a while he will react differently. One time he ran in the opposite direction barking when a black lab approached calmly. Sometimes he will bark at other dogs. Im confused not sure what to read on him. like I said most of the time he is ok and will walk up and sniff on them and I will also try to have him sit when other dogs approach is that ok? any insight will help thank you

#2 ·
If he barks, just walk away like its no big deal. If you pat him or try to reassure,myth will reward him for barking. Some trainers say to sit quietly and wait. But ours said staring down a dog makes them more reactive. I prefer to walk my puppy past other dogs when we are out.

#4 ·
Yes. We all tend to talk too much. When the dog hears your voice, it reads it as praise. I just walk away and don't talk. I've also taught my dog Leave It, so if I'm sure he's paying attention, I will say leave it and when he looks away from the other dog, then I say Good. I heard a radio trainer who recommends keeping up a steady stream of conversation, but I found that confuses my dog and accidentally rewards everything.

#7 ·
I would ask ... why are you screwing around with "I thought my dog was friendly people??" Generally speaking they have no idea and neither do you. If one of these random "Dog on the Street encounters" goes wrong?? What's your plan B??

My policy is just say "NO" to unknown dogs, "I don't know you I don't know your dog??" Stay the heck away! In 15 years
and 10 or so stray encounters my never have "never" been harmed. I don't put them at risk and advise others to do the same.

If your dog has a bad encounter?? Your going to be looking a whole new set of issues. Just say "NO" to unknown Dogs and owners. looks like this:

Teach your Dog to ignore other dogs. :) - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

I got more but staying on point here. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.