Puppy Imprinting? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Puppy Imprinting?

Hi!

I am getting a new GSD puppy in November and I am really very excited. This will not be my first GSD, but will be my first puppy in over two years, and I feel like things have changed quite a bit since then! The new puppy will be my IPO prospect and I was told by my trainer that when I get the puppy, I should start imprinting. I've tried searching for this topic, but have not found much. What exactly is imprinting and what does it involve?

Just for fun - the puppies name will be Virago von der Bravo (Vera, for short), and her pedigree is listed below (I am not able to post links because I'm a new member, but their registered names are listed on the pedigree database):

Sire: Kurkey's Jimmy

Dam: Tatum vom Patiala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Crowned Member

It seems to mean socialization. Though I suggest you ask your trainer for specifics.

For further information:

This article explains it puppy development stages | Wonder Puppy

This video is with an older puppy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGoK2-uB9y0

Sting Chance von Gaard AKC GSD 2/8/2006
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 10:48 PM

Everyone will have a different idea/explanation of puppy imprinting.

Here are just a couple of our examples. We feel that all pups, no matter what their future holds.... should have this type of imprinting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNOxux5q57A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfWkn7ykgs

Talk to the breeder you purchased your pup from and ask them what they have done to start the pup, we start ours within days of birth.

Figure out what it is you want to do with your pup, what is your eventual goal and then go from there.

Good luck and have fun with your pup.

Kim
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 11:36 PM
Crowned Member

I start imprinting IPO obedience between 7-8 weeks old

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:26 AM

Awesome work GatorDog!

Virago- these are just some examples of puppy imprinting, and while both examples are directed to different types of work , what they have in common is that they are providing the pups with achievable goals. Win win

Achievable goals = building confidence in your pup. Capture their attention before they encounter fear or negativity.

People/Animals - in times of stress will revert back to their "Comfort Zone", what saved me? Fight or Flight?

The importance of puppy imprinting is to provide your pup with a Positive Comfort Zone.

By providing your pup with a positive Comfort Zone they continue to learn, explore, adapt and overcome!

Hopefully some other members will post their videos or ideas.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page