Suddenly prey drive? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Suddenly prey drive?

Until now, my 4 month old GSD puppy hasn't been that interested in chasing things and has been really scared of traffic. We live in the country so she's mostly off-road so we've had to make an effort to introduce her to cars and trucks going by.

Then wham! Suddenly she loves playing ball, whereas before she wasn't interested at all. Then today, on our evening walk, when cars went past, she lunged at them. We moved off-road and walked past the tups that are always there. More lunging!

I'm using a flat collar and leash and she can't pull harder than me (yet), but I did think about tightening the collar when we came home as I'm worried that it's not secure.

Is this just part of her maturing? What should I do to keep her safe? In general, she's very well behaved and we can hike off-leash in wooded areas without lots of people or dogs, but is this a sign of things to come? She was on-leash during all this tonight, but does it post warnings?

Amanda
Elva GSD - 19 May 2015
Maxi and Mignon, the long-suffering rescue cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Someone asked me what a tup is... it's a male entire sheep. They're known for protecting the ewes, especially at this time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tup.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	318514  

Amanda
Elva GSD - 19 May 2015
Maxi and Mignon, the long-suffering rescue cats!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 AM

The growing phase is very interesting as well as challenging. I have experienced that for last 15months or so. Work on his recall and stay commands. Lots of practice in and absence of distraction. Also i think it is time for you teach him not to pull on the lish. I will post some video which i found very helpful in youtube.

Enjoy this phase.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Knighted Member

You have a puppy! And puppy's are at the beginning of the learning phase of EVERYTHING. Thus your guidance / teachings are so important right now.

I flat collar cannot correct the pulling. At this age, I would work with a martingale collar (You can google how to use a martingale collar). Also, when sized correctly, your puppy won't be able to slip out of the collar.

Your puppy is doing what all puppy's do at that age ... OMG LOOK AT THAT ... want to see / have to chase ... it's normal! Not acceptable LOL but normal.

This is where you need to start raising expectations for training. Even tho he's young, this is the best time to start.

ALL your basic obedience should be taught at the stage in his life - sit / stay / down / heel, etc. And then work up the duration of the stays / downs, etc.

Impulse control will stop him from chasing things - google this and read up on how to work with it.

Prey drive is fun to watch - WHEN appropriate - dogs need to be taught how / when to use that prey drive otherwise any and all critters become lunch.

Have fun - puppies are sponges and will absorb absolutely everything they see / hear / smell and touch!!!! Enjoy this phase, it doesn't last long!

Marion’s Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page