Potty training stalemate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Potty training stalemate

Hello all,

Apologies if this is the wrong board, still new here.

My dog will be 11 months old at the end of the month, and she's the perfect dog. Except for one little flaw. Her house training is incomplete and i don't know how to advance it.If you watch her closely when you're home, she let's you know when she has to go, and doesn'thave any accidents. If you leave her alone for an hour or two, she poops on the bed, or pee's on the pillows. I have no idea how to correct this behavior, as I am not home for it. Shes old enough to expect her to hold it for longer, we've been working on it since she was 3 months. I'm currently deployed right now, so this is all happening on someone else's bed, and I feel preety bad, regardless of how understanding they are. Open to any and all ideas! Thanks in advance!
C7VXZ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

buy a crate. problem solved. dog goes in crate when left alone.

no offense but sounds like you did this to yourself because the dog wasn't crate trained to begin with. even if the dog was crate trained and you started letting it roam free before potty trained you still blew it. start using a crate now.

Last edited by scarfish; 09-07-2014 at 10:02 AM.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Such an easy fix!

Here's some great crate training tips. Nice to love our dogs again when we come home and know the mess is easy to clean up (in the crate) or not there at all (cause they are now crate trained!). --> What is crate training (why put my puppy in a cage?)

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I should clarify. The dog is crate trained, and she is crated when I am at work, and when I leave the house for more than a few minuets. But, this isn't really a solution, just a bandaid for the problem. There is no mess (which is great), but she isn't learning to not go potty when I'm not home. I would like to reduce her crate dependency is all. Hope this makes things clearer!
C7VXZ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

*edited* you said you were deployed and she's doing this while left alone in the care of someone else on someone else's bed. You are now saying she is crated when you're at work or leave for more than a few minutes. Being deployed isn't leaving for a few minutes. i've been deployed and it was for more than a few minutes. here's the deal, don't worry about breaking crate dependency, the dog stays in the crate whenever it is left alone.

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 09-07-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: *edited*
Old 09-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
you said you were deployed and she's doing this while left alone in the care of someone else on someone else's bed. You are now saying she is crated when you're at work or leave for more than a few minutes. Being deployed isn't leaving for a few minutes. i've been deployed and it was for more than a few minutes. here's the deal, don't worry about breaking crate dependency, the dog stays in the crate whenever it is left alone.
Hey Inspector Clouseau? lighten up. Good grief. Is it really necessary to come at this poster in such a harsh fashion? They have asked for help and really have no reason to lie about their dog's "potty" training.

OP, it might be a good idea to begin toilet training anew when you can, and when not around, keep her crated. You, or her caretaker, will need to watch her very carefully for a while and take her out several times a day - just as you did when she was a new pup.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 09-07-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: edited quote
Audie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Someone needs to be with a puppy during the day to let them out and to potty train them. If they haven't learned it as a young puppy, they will learn it but it takes time and attention.
LuvShepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie1 View Post
Hey Inspector Clouseau? lighten up. Good grief. Is it really necessary to come at this poster in such a harsh fashion? They have asked for help and really have no reason to lie about their dog's "potty" training.

OP, it might be a good idea to begin toilet training anew when you can, and when not around, keep her crated. You, or her caretaker, will need to watch her very carefully for a while and take her out several times a day - just as you did when she was a new pup.

Good luck to you.
why are you saying these things? i wouldn't bother posting if i wasn't trying to help. the story didn't add up.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Your post came across as critical and rude, although you were asking for clarification. It's not what you said, it's how you said it. It makes people not want to come back and post. I understood what you meant and why you said it, but I also see what Audie meant.
LuvShepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Crate her. My 11 month old is still crated during the day when I'm at work. He's earned his freedom at night in the bedroom but not during the day and won't any time soon.

If you want to stop this then you need to contain her when she's left alone. If she's exhibiting these types of behavior then she has not earned the right to her freedom. AND...you will never stop this if you don't contain her. While you think this is a "band-aid", it really is part of the solution.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.