German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   5 month old is out of control - even after completing training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/485281-5-month-old-out-control-even-after-completing-training.html)

intothevoiddd 09-03-2014 01:19 PM

5 month old is out of control - even after completing training

My pup is 5 months old and 50lbs. We originally had him in treat training, realized it wasn't a good fit as we were having lots of behavioral problems and decided to put him in choke collar training. We had the most wonderful trainer who worked miracles on our dog, literally turned him into a new dog. We have been very consistent, and our dog was behaving very appropriately both at home and on walks.

He turned 5 months 2 weeks ago, and since then it has been an absolute nightmare. He is back to all of his bad behaviors. He attacks our cat, he barks at old ladies with hair up on walks, he is out of control pulling on walks, he's on the counters and table, in the garbage, nipping, out of control when guests are over, etc...

I don't know what the problem is. He was totally fine a few weeks ago, and now it's total chaos again. We just finished up obedience training, but he started doing this before the last week. In particular he is not responding to the choke collar anymore, he just pulls and pulls to his hearts content despite how many times we "pop" him. We aren't being aggressive obvious, just trying to keep him under control, but when he is fighting it it looks quite bad. We have to physically restrain him sometimes and we get some very dirty looks. It's really hard on me because of his size now. I think he understands he is gaining the upper hand and just says whatever to me. In training class he was always a real peach, and he has been very good for my boyfriend up until recently.

I was thinking maybe this was because of the teenage stage, but it seems to be too early for that. Any thoughts or advice?

my boy diesel 09-03-2014 01:26 PM

all i can say is
if what you are doing is not working then do something different
if the choke chain is tight it wont work like its supposed to anyway
find a new trainer
all a trainer does is help you learn to communicate with your dog btw
they dont 'fix" the dog

jafo220 09-03-2014 01:31 PM

That's about the right age to start rebelling. If it were me, I'd take another round of training sessions.

voodoogsd 09-03-2014 01:44 PM

my pup is 7 months and she was acting similar. I had tried the "choke chain" but she would pull just like yours and not care that it was tightening. We moved to using a prong collar and and after about a minute of introducing it to her she was back on track. Walking on leash nicely. sitting when stopping. no longer lunging after rabbits and squirrels. and in the house. i would keep her on leash with the collar on inside and after a few corrections, she was awesome. check this video out. i thought it was pretty helpful in starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nf0bA9sudM

intothevoiddd 09-03-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoogsd (Post 5979985)
my pup is 7 months and she was acting similar. I had tried the "choke chain" but she would pull just like yours and not care that it was tightening. We moved to using a prong collar and and after about a minute of introducing it to her she was back on track. Walking on leash nicely. sitting when stopping. no longer lunging after rabbits and squirrels. and in the house. i would keep her on leash with the collar on inside and after a few corrections, she was awesome. check this video out. i thought it was pretty helpful in starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nf0bA9sudM

That's perfect, thank you! After read your post I remember my trainer saying to use a prong collar if the chain alone wasn't enough. Hallelujah, this might be a life saver lol.

TigervTeMar 09-03-2014 02:05 PM

they are the devil for a few months. my guy is about 8.5 months and is still a rascal but waaaay better than he was from 5-7 months.

Baillif 09-03-2014 02:43 PM

The problem isn't the tools

LoveEcho 09-03-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5980249)
The problem isn't the tools

:thumbup:

There's no such thing as "completing training." Don't look at it as "I trained him but now that's over and now he's reverting." Training is a daily thing. Look at training as your lifestyle in terms of your dog. Everything is a training opportunity, be it in engagement, in teaching and reinforcing rules, etc. What do you do for training daily? Do you incorporate it into daily life?

intothevoiddd 09-03-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 5980345)
:thumbup:

There's no such thing as "completing training." Don't look at it as "I trained him but now that's over and now he's reverting." Training is a daily thing. Look at training as your lifestyle in terms of your dog. Everything is a training opportunity, be it in engagement, in teaching and reinforcing rules, etc. What do you do for training daily? Do you incorporate it into daily life?

We do incorporate it daily. Walking him daily, making him stop and sit and every corner. At home we have rules, he isn't allowed to leave the floor we're on, can't chase the cat, has to lay down on his "place" before he gets fed, has to wait until we say it's OK to eat, working on making him stay in his place when visitors arrive, etc... We try to incorporate training into our lifestyle, we give commands and rules that are reasonable and beneficial. He picks up on them quickly, he's just always try to push the boundaries and doesn't like to cooperate unless we correct him. He constantly tries to break the rules.

my boy diesel 09-03-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

At home we have rules, he isn't allowed to leave the floor we're on, can't chase the cat, has to lay down on his "place" before he gets fed, has to wait until we say it's OK to eat, working on making him stay in his place when visitors arrive, etc
but in your first post
Quote:

He attacks our cat, he barks at old ladies with hair up on walks, he is out of control pulling on walks, he's on the counters and table, in the garbage, nipping, out of control when guests are over, etc...
so your rules are not working
so do something different
for starters this puppy is far too young to be not on a leash and crated for periods throughout the day
and up the exercise
a tired puppy is a good puppy

i think your puppys training may be situational
he does fine at the place he is trained but he has not generalized it to home

also he is a budding teen and feeling his oats

step up training and exercise
he is just being left to make his own choices and puppys rarely make good choices for themselves