German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Best treats for picky eater (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/484329-best-treats-picky-eater.html)

Epsilon13 08-30-2014 02:15 PM

Best treats for picky eater

Let me start off by saying this is my 1st GSD puppy. I've had dogs my whole life, but they were all Rottis or strays.

Jasmine is about 3 months old and I've been doing a lot of obedience training with her. However she is a very picky eater, she likes to only eat 3 or 4 pieces of dry food before she is off to do something else. She is the first dog I've had to not inhale her food.

This being said she is picky about treats too. I bought bacon flavored soft treats but she isnt really interested in them. She likes cheese, but it gives her bad gas and loose "movements" later on.

I'd like to be able to give her something she likes, and wont cause a digestive disturbance later on.

Suggestions?

lauren43 08-30-2014 02:47 PM

Try real food. Some chicken or some beef may strike her interest

David Winners 08-30-2014 03:23 PM

Natural Balance food rolls.

Lucy Dog 08-30-2014 03:26 PM

Steam some chicken breast and cut it into little treat sized pieces. You could do the same with a cheap piece of lean beef like london broil. That's what I typically use as a high value reward.

SuperG 08-30-2014 03:55 PM

I gave up on most all treats which come prepackaged....

I just buy cheap beef cuts and dry them in my food dehydrator and then chop them up into treat size portions. I also have done the same with chicken breast BUT..dehydrating chicken for some reason emits a really "fowl" odor...it's horrid....beef is no problem.

Even if you don't have a cheap food dehydrator you could accomplish the same with your oven on the lowest setting. I usually dehydrate the beef to the point where it still has a slight bit of moisture inside. Both the chicken and beef dried make for awesome treats which my dog thoroughly enjoys...and there are two additional benefits 1.) You know exactly what you are giving your dog versus store bought treats 2.) It ends up more economical than buying pre-made treats by a long shot.

Even though the drying process of thin strips of chicken reeks...my dog loves them...big time.

SuperG

David Winners 08-30-2014 04:00 PM

If you are really into dehydrating your own meat, you can use a box fan and pleated furnace filters. Slice the meat, add some garlic powder, lay it on the filter until the valleys are full, stack another filter until you are out of meat or filters. Stack the filters on the inlet side of a box fan with a final filter as a lid and secure with a bungee. Turn on the fan and check it from time to time for dryness.

You can do this outside to keep the smell out of the house.

SuperG 08-30-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 5965057)
If you are really into dehydrating your own meat, you can use a box fan and pleated furnace filters. Slice the meat, add some garlic powder, lay it on the filter until the valleys are full, stack another filter until you are out of meat or filters. Stack the filters on the inlet side of a box fan with a final filter as a lid and secure with a bungee. Turn on the fan and check it from time to time for dryness.

Are you related to MacGyver ???

SuperG

David Winners 08-30-2014 04:05 PM

I'm just a food nerd ;)

Alton Brown is my hero lol

I use the same rig to dry herbs at the end of the season.

David Winners 08-30-2014 04:12 PM

How To Make Beef Jerky At Home: http://youtu.be/OfgSCMxttCc

Ellimaybel 08-30-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 5965057)

I need to copy and paste this and email it to myself to remember. How long does it take? Any chance you can post a picture so I can compare when I try this? This sounds like an awesome way for me to make enzyme treated treats for Gunther's EPI.

Super G, you crack me up! :) Military people ALWAYS have the best ways to rig things! When you spend a lot of time in areas where you can't have all your luxuries, you find ways to do them.