German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Does potty training last for a male? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/483865-does-potty-training-last-male.html)

brazilian 08-28-2014 11:16 PM

Does potty training last for a male?

Hi. I am new to this forum and would appreciate your help. I will be getting a male puppy very soon (3 and a half months). He seems to be very focused and with a good food drive. We have a backyard surrounded by walls. Some parts are paved and some are covered by grass. My wife will not let him inside the house (and I am not fighting her on this) and she is afraid that he will turn the backyard into a mess, dirty. Is it possible to train him to use always a regular place? Does it last after he gets territorial or, as some people told us, he will then mark every piece of wall and floor? Is it true that spayed males don't get territorial and it would help us? Thank you for sharing your experience.

HarleyTheGSD 08-29-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brazilian (Post 5958353)
Hi. I am new to this forum and would appreciate your help. I will be getting a male puppy very soon (3 and a half months). He seems to be very focused and with a good food drive. We have a backyard surrounded by walls. Some parts are paved and some are covered by grass. My wife will not let him inside the house (and I am not fighting her on this) and she is afraid that he will turn the backyard into a mess, dirty. Is it possible to train him to use always a regular place? Does it last after he gets territorial or, as some people told us, he will then mark every piece of wall and floor? Is it true that spayed males don't get territorial and it would help us? Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have two male GSDs. One intact two year old, and one neutered five year old. Neither of them mark inside of the house. Both can be territorial of the yard. Both of them mark in the yard.
Both neutered and intact males can mark, though some don't. Neutering won't determine this.
Good luck with your pup!:)

brazilian 08-29-2014 12:21 PM

Thank you HarleyThe GSD. Could anyone chime in as well?

David Winners 08-29-2014 12:28 PM

It's going to be challenging to say the least to get a dog that spends all of its time in the yard to not mark wherever he wants. In the house is another story, but it's going to be his yard.

The amount of destruction in the yard is going to spend on how much time you spend with him. If he's bored, he's going to entertain himself somehow.

wolfy dog 08-29-2014 01:10 PM

I have had numerous males, intact and neutered and never had a problem inside the house.
But if you do not let them inside, they may not consider it their home and may/will mark inside as a result. My dogs are always with me inside and outside, so that's why I never had that problem.
Maybe consider building a kennel to prevent a mess outside? But you have to train and exercise them to prevent boredom and related problem behavior.
I feel bad for isolated dogs. They love to be with their people.

llombardo 08-29-2014 01:49 PM

I would be more concerned about the digging and stuff. They will find ways to amuse themselves. I can't leave mine outside on their own even now, they can have tons if toys but still would rather dig a hole.

Lilie 08-29-2014 02:01 PM

I have four male dogs living at my house. One of those dogs are altered, the rest are intact. NONE mark in the house. They ALL mark outside...everywhere. I have a female Mini Doxie who is altered, they will ALL mark over her potty. Sometimes, they don't wait till she's finished.

lalachka 08-29-2014 02:23 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Xxx should've kept reading

MichaelE 08-29-2014 02:45 PM

If you train the puppy correctly you can have both a nice yard and a nice house.

Without training and without family socialization you will have neither.

I would give some thought to choosing another breed of dog such as a hound or retriever that won't be as affected by living alone in the back yard.

GSD's need companionship, guidance, and training.

Lark 08-29-2014 03:05 PM

My male was neutered around 18 mths, and never had an issue with marking. He is an inside dog though, so I don't know how he would have done outside. No accidents since he was very young.