Rewarding for leaving food
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
I am actually doing a similar exercise with the dog in sit and stay position.
I place the empty bowl. Put the dry food/treat on ground. Give "wait" command
Then reward the down if he makes no attempt to snatch food.
Place the food in the bowl. Wait for a few more seconds, making eye contact, praise him, and the "ok eat".
My Duke has figured out the game and waits (with a few initial hesitations" for command.
Now I am trying more advanced version of this game.
Objective: I want to teach him not to scavamge from kitchen dustbin or leave food on the ground even when he is on the move.
I do the following.
1. Place his empty food bowl in a corner of the room.
2. Place the kitchen waste bucket in another corner, and lay some food items on the floor
3. Call duke in the room, and allow him to roam free. As soon as he goes near those things say "no leave it". Praise and reward him as soon as he moves away.
4. After a few attempts he shows lack of interest in those items, and looks at me. That very moment say "yes" place treats in his bowl and ask him to eat.
5. After a few repetitions of 1-4, have in sit and stay with food and kitchen waste on the floor. Reward him every time he looks away from them and makes eye contact.
Finally free him and serve him a full meal.
The method seems to be working, although too early to prescribe it for others.
Suggestions and comments on this process is well come.