stop.. Stop... STOP!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question stop.. Stop... STOP!!!

I have a rather odd issue... My 5 month old Athena has developed a habit I do not know how to curb. During leash/heel training Athena would touch my thigh with her nose immediately following a correction I was fine with this and I always praised because she was where I wanted her to be. This is now a habit with her and she will periodically touch my thigh when walking to "assure" me she is there and doing her job correctly. Now the problem is starting that no matter what we are doing if I recall her she comes back to make contact. This would be fine aside from the fact that she will come to a skidding stop and ram her nose into my thigh.... she has left bruises and/or almost knocked me over a few times. My fear is if I do not get this under control now when she is full-grown I will end up on my butt everytime I recall her. I do not want to lose the proximity of the recall but do not want to have to dress like a football player everytime we are playing..... I appreciate any input or suggestions....Thanks!

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
My2shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I think its more that she's trying to be correct to earn her reward and/or avoid the correction. You just need to step back and reward enough when she's doing what you do want and ignore the stuff you don't want.

From short distance, teach her that proximity for the front position. 3-4 feet and at different angles. Do you ever let her run by on a recall instead of coming to front? I turn sideways as a clear signal that I'm not looking for a front. That's how I maintain the speed. I also use a clear release word when I turn to keep it random enough so that they maintain their speed.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
I think its more that she's trying to be correct to earn her reward and/or avoid the correction. You just need to step back and reward enough when she's doing what you do want and ignore the stuff you don't want.

From short distance, teach her that proximity for the front position. 3-4 feet and at different angles. Do you ever let her run by on a recall instead of coming to front? I turn sideways as a clear signal that I'm not looking for a front. That's how I maintain the speed. I also use a clear release word when I turn to keep it random enough so that they maintain their speed.
I definately believe she is trying to please me and earn the reward (praise, treat or toy) it is her enthusiasm to do so that is the problem... lol

She will "nose" me on the side recall (to heel) or when we are casually interacting (playing ball, casual walks, anytime I say her name to bring her attention back on me during open activities). She does not make contact with me on the front recall.

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

While heeling, I'd just say no and completely break the position to interrupt it, then start again to have a chance to reward right away for being correct.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Keefer used to have a rocket recall where he'd slam into me if I didn't jump out of the way at the last second. What helped was to time my "sit" command better. Eventually I wanted a recall to automatic sit in front, but at first I cued it. If I waited too long to say sit as he was running at me it was too late, so I'll call "SIT!" as he was in mid-charge, and by the time it registered and he was able to slow his momentum he'd end up stopping and sitting where I wanted him to be.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When you call her, do you use the come command? If you do, just teach front as another command. With the front command they come and sit in front of you.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
When you call her, do you use the come command? If you do, just teach front as another command. With the front command they come and sit in front of you.
When I call a heel I tap my thigh which calls her to my side, for the front recall I bring my hand in front of my stomach and she will stop and sit automatically in front of me. I always thought for obedience trials the side heel would be important so I have expanded it to a recall also. Am I messing her up by using this as a recall?

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
Old 07-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Keefer used to have a rocket recall where he'd slam into me if I didn't jump out of the way at the last second. What helped was to time my "sit" command better. Eventually I wanted a recall to automatic sit in front, but at first I cued it. If I waited too long to say sit as he was running at me it was too late, so I'll call "SIT!" as he was in mid-charge, and by the time it registered and he was able to slow his momentum he'd end up stopping and sitting where I wanted him to be.
LOL I love the energy and eagerness of her response just not the impact...

She will do an automatic sit on recall without the command, so I should start reconditioning the sit? Maybe I am wanting too much from this and have confused her on the motion. I like the easy touch of her nose while we are casual walking because I can relax more when she is tuned to me this way. She has even gotten to the point that she will touch when a distraction enters the scene as if to let me know "don't worry I am not going to be stupid" lol

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd say next time the second she about to touch your thigh w her nose ... you TURN AROUND AND RAM HER FRONT LEGS W YOUR NOSE ! Now that will teach her a lesson not to do that again... sometime you gotta show them some tough love ! Show them who is a alpha.. this will work i promise !
Old 07-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2shepherds View Post
I always thought for obedience trials the side heel would be important so I have expanded it to a recall also. Am I messing her up by using this as a recall?
I've never competed in OB so I could be wrong, but I think that when you recall your dog it's to the front position, and then you would cue the heel from there. Maybe someone with experience can chime in on that. Anyway, if so, you could work on teaching her to go back and forth from the front and heel positions.

Keefer does the nose bump on my thigh as we're walking sometimes too. I think it's cute.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.