clicker training vs corrections - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default clicker training vs corrections

Hi all,

My lovely 11 1/2 week old girl is doing great and coming up pretty well with training's (she almost has the bell to go to the bathroom down, and she is great with sit [without distractions])

I started off doing clicker training to teach her everything but I had a trainer over a week ago and she gave me a consultation. I'd like everyone's thought on her training method before I make my final decision on how to train her going forward.

Her method of teaching is to do the following:
  1. Say command word
  2. If dog listens- praise
  3. If dog does not listen:
  4. Say a deep "Hey in a raspy voice"
  5. Snap/pull the leash to the side but not hard enough to hurt but enough to get her attention
  6. Continue this until she does what you want.

The same goes for when she is doing something you don't want. If the dog is biting on something she shouldn't she recommends the "hey" and then snapping of the leash and tempting the puppy again until she successfully doesn't do what she shouldn't.

I was originally hesitant to use this method but my girlfriends dog was trained this way and he is an absolute saint. He is a perfect behaved dog in my mind for a dog that isnt too smart lol.

Also, a lot of places around me have recommended this particular training (pet stores/vets) so it must be for a reason.

Any thoughts?
pr3dict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm a fan of your original method. Though many people on here don't agree. You have to do what you are most comfortable with. I bet you could find a trainer with similar philosophies to yours if you looked around a bit!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Another fan of the original method. Using corrections with a puppy is unneccesary.

Last edited by glowingtoadfly; 07-24-2014 at 05:04 PM.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use positive reinforcement only with a puppy under 6 months! Training should be a fun experience for a puppy! All play and engagement training. Socialization and bonding is extremely important when little. A puppy should never be disciplined for what they have not learned. Sit, down, come, stay, and heel is all new for a pup. It is cruel for someone to correct for an unlearned or new behavior.
I start to throw in negative reinforcement when the reach the teenage phase when they know the command and choose not to listen.
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wouldn't leash pop an 11 week old. At this stage, everything should be fun, you are building a bond, and you're supposed to make her think you are the best thing in the world.

There is plenty of time for corrections when the dog gets older and truly understands what you want from her.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't train my 11 week old puppy the way this trainer is recommending. An 11 week old puppy has the attention span of a gnat, so I definitely wouldn't be correcting for inattention. Keep things short and fun at this stage. Really though, at that age I would be working more on building a relationship with the dog and teaching house manners/acceptable behavior through redirection.
osito23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr3dict View Post
Her method of teaching is to do the following:
  1. Say command word
  2. If dog listens- praise
  3. If dog does not listen:
  4. Say a deep "Hey in a raspy voice"
  5. Snap/pull the leash to the side but not hard enough to hurt but enough to get her attention
  6. Continue this until she does what you want.
For a baby puppy??? No! Obviously, puppies aren't children, but a 3 month old GSD puppy is the developmental equivalent of a 3 year old child. Is this the way you'd teach a toddler? Of course not.

This is the perfect time to do motivational training. The puppy learns that training is fun, so she'll want to work WITH you. It's also not really fair to correct her for not complying with commands she doesn't yet understand. Show her what you want and reward her for it.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

For my younger pups I really try the positive and teach what I want (then reward) rather then wait for them to fail so I can punish/correct. If we plan ahead and pay attention it's really easy to manage their lives so they do well and get lots of rewards.

Later when they are older I may have to step it up and add more of the negatives/corrections to the training. But the younger the pup the more I want them to have the positive training. Makes it easier when my main training goals are ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 07-24-2014 at 06:59 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did the leash correction...ruined a dog.

doing the clicker training and building potential.

My advice is go witht he clicker training, shape the behaviors and create a happy, thinking dog. Introduce corrections properly once the DOG understands what is required and is just blowing you off.

Where are you located at? Maybe someone can recommend a trainer to you

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.