Leash Walking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leash Walking

I know there are so many posts about loose leash walking and how to train but I just wanted to know if I am expecting too much out of my pup or if this needs to be taught now to avoid pulling when he is too big. I have an almost 4 month old who walks perfect at my side about half the time and then will randomly try and bolt backwards, to the side, in front of my legs, or dart forward on walks. I've tried being a "tree" where I stop whenever he pulls in any direction and he will stop and sit by my side until I start to walk again. As soon as I take one step, he lunges forward and starts to pull again. He has no interest in any treats or toys on a walk and would rather smell everything along the way. Whenever a person is running by or walking another dog, he gets excited so I have him sit and "leave it" until it passes by. All in all I think he does pretty well. But the pulling and lunging randomly during the walk is a problem because he is already almost too strong for me! Little dude's got muscle and I hold the leash tight so he is right by my side the whole time but my arm goes numb lol. I definitely do not want to try prong or choke collars on him so any advice on what I could try would be greatly appreciated.
Christine1125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can't hold the leash "tight" to keep him under control. That is accomplishing the opposite of what you want.

A link is in here on loose leash walking, your guy is most likely not as bad or as big yet but the "principle" still apply post 8:
New Dog, Very Challenging
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you so much! I will definitely be trying that method from now on. I appreciate the insight because it did feel as though we were just doing something wrong
Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It sounds like you understand the basics be a tree but if the leash is always kinda tight, it's hard for the dog to tell the difference!

It's the little things that can make a difference!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I mean I don't ALWAYS hold it tight. If he's walking perfect-which happens rarely lol- he gets lotsa slack. I'm trying to show him that if he walks well we don't have to be struggling. Also what's your advice on harness vs collar? We are using a harness to protect him but I feel he may actually walk better without that around his whole body. However, for the times he pulls I get very worried about his throat. I very much appreciate your opinion. It's nice to not have someone tell me to put a choke collar on a 4 month old to "stop this behavior now". I could never do that to a puppy.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

One of the guys on here had input on the harness. In general though "I" would say "NO" not with a puppy! Harnesses are used for pulling,among other things!

You have no control with a harness, once a dog is trained to walk properly on a loose leash, you can then use a harness or no leash at all (with proper control!)

And understood "not a tight leash all the time!" More insight if the leash is tight, it tells the dog we have a situation here..."be ready!"
Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Clicker - teach him to release to the pressure of the leash. You'll have to do this in a quiet place with little distraction at first.

When he pulls, slowly back up until he gives and lets the leash go slack. It will be minimal at first but it will happen. Click and treat. You want to treat AT the position you want him to be in while walkng so his reward line is there. He will learn that the reward is at your hip, not in front of him.

Personally, I would introduce the prong collar with this. NOT a choke collar. But a prong. They really are NOT med evil torture devices.

He's young so give him a little leeway but you need to teach this now so you dont' end up on your face later. You also should be doing engagement games with him so he learns to play and focus on you, not everything else.

Do a google search of this. You'll come up with many videos
"youtube dog training engagement games"

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.