German Shepherd & "Work" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default German Shepherd & "Work"

Can you share how your German Shepherd's desire "to work" would manifest itself if your GSD felt he/she did not have a "job" to perform?

For example, I take walks around town with my 4.5 month old puppy right now, have her do occasional exercise with other dogs 2 days a week, and do obedience training in short spurts throughout the day with her. So basically, I lead a fairly calm and relaxed lifestyle without a lot of the massive hiking/trekking that others seem to engage in.

How would the average GSD react to this type or regimen in the long-run?

And would having her carry my stuff around in a backpack (once she is older) allow her to feel like she is "working"? I bought a Kyjen hound pack so I was thinking about having her walk around with an empty one for now just to get her used to it.
arctic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

what humans consider work isnt what dogs consider work. "work" is a dog expending either physical or mental energy.

obedience sessions are work. fetching that ball back to you over and over is work. just spend time with your dog and it'll be fine.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
what humans consider work isnt what dogs consider work. "work" is a dog expending either physical or mental energy.

obedience sessions are work. fetching that ball back to you over and over is work. just spend time with your dog and it'll be fine.
Okay thanks. I'm looking for a regular dog playmate for her because running around for around an hour with a dog-friend seems to be the ideal cure to tire her out and get her calm and relaxed for the next 24 hours.
arctic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Every couple of days I take Pepper to the local park (not dog park) with a couple of balls, frisbees and water, 35-40 min of hard chasing shes done her "Work" for a while.
truckola is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.