How Young for Leash? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How Young for Leash?

Evening Folks!

I've read a ton of posts, but still not sure. It seems like for any given method, there's an opposing method claiming the other is wrong. I read to NOT carry my new 10 week old Puppy out to potty, but I also read about 8 weeks is too early for a leash? Well, 8 weeks is pretty close to 10, so should I go back to "free" Puppy? I just got her last Saturday, and up until today, running freely throughout the house and yard.

I've been using the leash more and more, but with a harness because it kills me to put any sort of force on her neck. So, I guess my question is, when, approximately, should I be using a leash 24/7?

Thank you,
Adelaide's_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide's_Dad View Post
Evening Folks!

I've read a ton of posts, but still not sure. It seems like for any given method, there's an opposing method claiming the other is wrong. I read to NOT carry my new 10 week old Puppy out to potty, but I also read about 8 weeks is too early for a leash? Well, 8 weeks is pretty close to 10, so should I go back to "free" Puppy? I just got her last Saturday, and up until today, running freely throughout the house and yard.

I've been using the leash more and more, but with a harness because it kills me to put any sort of force on her neck. So, I guess my question is, when, approximately, should I be using a leash 24/7?

Thank you,
ive been having the same prob whenever i read something theres always something somewhere else to contradict it. very confusing

i got my puppy last week, and i still wakes up at 3-4 am trying to google something she did and trying to get some answers for my tons of questions
steve-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

8 weeks is not too young for a leash! All of my pups are leash trained before they ever leave me.
With house training you have to manage it properly and the best way to do that is crate, and leash at all times when not in crate. That puts you in control and your puppy managed at all times.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds View Post
8 weeks is not too young for a leash! All of my pups are leash trained before they ever leave me.
With house training you have to manage it properly and the best way to do that is crate, and leash at all times when not in crate. That puts you in control and your puppy managed at all times.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thanks!

This is exactly what I stared doing yesterday, and suddenly the household became far more pleasant without a rogue Puppy blasting about! Now I'm working on time in a crate; I know she can't go all night, but trying, TRYING, to build a consistent schedule for later-night potty breaks...

I'm also thinking about one of those x-pens for when we're not around and my Grandparents babysit, so to speak... More research there I suppose...
Adelaide's_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've never leashed 24/7 but every pup came home on a lead. My now almost 5 yo had never been on a lead before I picked her up at 9 weeks. She needed one before we boarded the plane and again in the airport. She took to it 100%.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.