German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   How Young for Leash? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/469290-how-young-leash.html)

Adelaide's_Dad 07-10-2014 08:52 PM

How Young for Leash?

Evening Folks!

I've read a ton of posts, but still not sure. It seems like for any given method, there's an opposing method claiming the other is wrong. I read to NOT carry my new 10 week old Puppy out to potty, but I also read about 8 weeks is too early for a leash? Well, 8 weeks is pretty close to 10, so should I go back to "free" Puppy? I just got her last Saturday, and up until today, running freely throughout the house and yard.

I've been using the leash more and more, but with a harness because it kills me to put any sort of force on her neck. So, I guess my question is, when, approximately, should I be using a leash 24/7?

Thank you,

steve-sh 07-10-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adelaide's_Dad (Post 5758882)
Evening Folks!

I've read a ton of posts, but still not sure. It seems like for any given method, there's an opposing method claiming the other is wrong. I read to NOT carry my new 10 week old Puppy out to potty, but I also read about 8 weeks is too early for a leash? Well, 8 weeks is pretty close to 10, so should I go back to "free" Puppy? I just got her last Saturday, and up until today, running freely throughout the house and yard.

I've been using the leash more and more, but with a harness because it kills me to put any sort of force on her neck. So, I guess my question is, when, approximately, should I be using a leash 24/7?

Thank you,

ive been having the same prob whenever i read something theres always something somewhere else to contradict it. very confusing

i got my puppy last week, and i still wakes up at 3-4 am trying to google something she did and trying to get some answers for my tons of questions

VanBuren shepherds 07-10-2014 11:50 PM

8 weeks is not too young for a leash! All of my pups are leash trained before they ever leave me.
With house training you have to manage it properly and the best way to do that is crate, and leash at all times when not in crate. That puts you in control and your puppy managed at all times.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Adelaide's_Dad 07-11-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds (Post 5759738)
8 weeks is not too young for a leash! All of my pups are leash trained before they ever leave me.
With house training you have to manage it properly and the best way to do that is crate, and leash at all times when not in crate. That puts you in control and your puppy managed at all times.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Thanks!

This is exactly what I stared doing yesterday, and suddenly the household became far more pleasant without a rogue Puppy blasting about! Now I'm working on time in a crate; I know she can't go all night, but trying, TRYING, to build a consistent schedule for later-night potty breaks...

I'm also thinking about one of those x-pens for when we're not around and my Grandparents babysit, so to speak... More research there I suppose...

middleofnowhere 07-11-2014 10:50 AM

I've never leashed 24/7 but every pup came home on a lead. My now almost 5 yo had never been on a lead before I picked her up at 9 weeks. She needed one before we boarded the plane and again in the airport. She took to it 100%.