German Shepherds Forum banner

Potty training at work !HELP NEEDED!

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  lalachka 
#1 ·
So I have had my little girl now for 4 1/2 days and she started out as a complete angel (now she bites everything lol) and has been so so smart. House breaking has gone great, just today we had the back door open and she ran outside and down my deck to her side of the yard where she goes to the bathroom and made a poop. It's nice that she took herself out lol.

As for work though!!! I take her to work with me all day and I work in a very large open floor about 7000 sq feet office. It's all wood floors and there everything is open (no offices or cubicles). She keeps running around or walking and then all of a sudden peeing/pooping. I grab her as its happening and take her outside but the problem is that I work on the 2nd floor so it takes about 2 1/2 minutes between the time I pick her up until I put her back down outside. Also, there are no grass/woody areas around my office as I work in a village for her to pee in so I think she is uncomfortable peeing on the cement/blacktop.

HOW DO I FIX THIS??? This was one of my biggest fears before getting her that training her at the office was going to be impossible and it is starting to seem that way. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

My boss keeps telling me I should get her wee-wee pads (he has a small Pomeranian) but I definitely do not want to do that as it will train her its ok to go to the bathroom inside.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

See less See more
#3 ·
crate for sure. also maybe bells at your desk if she is out. we did this on the back door and it works great. but at that age by the time she needs to go and the time to get her outside . . . disaster will happen every time. for now. I'd take her out every hour for a while just to let her go before she has to

#4 ·
I do have a crate at work with me. She is in it right now. Usually the day goes like this.

Wake up
potty break
eat breakfast
play
potty
car to work (about 10 minutes)
run around and hug everyone at work (Which at that point sometimes she does a pee while playing like she doesnt even squat)
crate for 1 - 2 hours (she sleeps)
potty
play a little
crate for another 1-2 hours
potty
play a little
car ride home (about 10 minutes)
potty
dinner
play
potty
nap time where ever she drops
play
potty
bed (crate)

I do the bell thing at home even though she absolutely hates it. Everytime I bring her to the bells and try and touch her paw to it she tries to back away and she whines but as soon as we ring it and i let her outside shes all right down to business with going to the bathroom.

I don't think I could crate her all day here as thats about 8 hours of crating which is a lot. Today she hasnt had too many accidents (she hasnt had a pee accident) but she will be in the middle of playing and all of a sudden just squat, and she hasnt had that much water at all.

On another note, she does have giardia so she has not been eating as much as I think she should be. She's 11 pounds and only eats about 1 pound of raw meat a day. Shouldn't she be eating more like 2 pounds a day?

Oh and she is 9 1/2 weeks old.

#5 ·
I know for my girls at 9 1/2 weeks it was constant potty breaks literally every 30 min. They "tinkled" every time they moved it seemed... be patient she is REALLY young... I would keep up the crate time with a little play right after potty breaks (frequent potty breaks)... LOL It will get better soon... :)

#6 ·
:) I hope so. She's a weird one. she hates going out in the sun (Shes all black so I think she gets hot) and everytime I take her outside she like freaks out and wants to run back inside. Also my vet said to not walk her around the streets too much because I am in a village area and there are constantly other dogs walking up and down the street. Just today I saw someone left their dogs poop on the side walk. She hasnt had all her shots yet so I don't want her to get any sicker then she already is.

Also how often do you give her water?

#7 ·
:) I hope so. She's a weird one. she hates going out in the sun (Shes all black so I think she gets hot) and everytime I take her outside she like freaks out and wants to run back inside. Also my vet said to not walk her around the streets too much because I am in a village area and there are constantly other dogs walking up and down the street. Just today I saw someone left their dogs poop on the side walk. She hasnt had all her shots yet so I don't want her to get any sicker then she already is.

Also how often do you give her water?
My Eden is mostly black also so she is not too fond of the sun either... lol and she likes her water bowl better (for splashing) than her pool or the hose....

As far as water goes I have always kept water down for the girls but mine are not in an office environment either so I am not much help there. At home I kept them tethered to me or crated if I was moving around and not able to be "on top" of them. Which helped to head off too many accidents as I could take them out as soon as the sniffing began. This became quite interesting when I got Eden because she is only 6 weeks younger than Athena... LOL Wish I could help more for the water question but I do not want to advise you wrong. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Not sure if this is a stupid suggestion or not but what about puppy pads outside. Prevents too much contamination I would think...??? I am sure others will have opinions on this...

#10 ·
I'm on a third floor and not home most of the day. I've used pee pads at first and then outside. I didn't have problems, just one day, when I figured he can hold it enough I picked up the pads and took him out. He had a few accidents. I praised outside and it worked well.

Also, if he's comfortable peeing on a wooden floor then the concrete isn't much different. He's having accidents because he's not sure where he's supposed to go. Pee pads would help with that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.