German Shepherds Forum banner

6 month old frustrations!

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  SuperG 
#1 ·
I think this is just going to end up being a rant however, I need to let it out!

In the last couple of weeks it seems Raven has completely forgotten everything she's ever learned up until this moment! No responsiveness to any commands, it's like talking to a wall, ask for a sit she stares at you and then downs... ask for a down she spins in circles... Her mouthing has gotten worse again as well, she doesn't bite hard, she'll more just kind of grab your hand and hold it for a second... it's just so frustrating D: She doesn't seem to be doing this with the rest of the family members (granted they only really bring her for a walk at the park or something, they don't have a hand in the discipline or day to day training of her).

To top things off, she got a hold of a rotisserie chicken carcass and ate the whole thing, so now we're on poop watch for the next two days to make sure things are coming out and there's no blood or anything......granted it was our fault for not watching her properly when the chicken was on the counter.

Some days you just want to put em in a box with a FREE sign on it! lol

We're starting back into obedience classes next Saturday (not this one coming) so hopefully this will help us get back on each others page and start working together instead of bashing heads!

Anyway... just wanted to vent to people who know what this is like.. any time I try to talk about my frustrations with family members they just say "well she's only like this when you're around, she's fine with us!"... Yeah because you let her walk all over you!

See less See more
#4 ·
Because she could be coming into heat. It may be early yet. But females can get a bit squirrely when they are coming into heat.

Most trainers do not like having bitches in heat there -- too distracting for the boys.

#5 ·
Ahh gotcha! I'll mention that to him before we go and see what he has to say, and I see what you mean, I'll keep an eye on her and see if she shows any signs of being in heat ( I know they can have silent heats as well). Although I have read that this age is an age where they start testing things a little more and start going a little dumb on ya :p

#6 ·
That first heat can be a quicky with little blood, and I think sometimes people miss it. Joy was totally bloody yuck, stink, ick! But the rest of my girls generally have a very light heat the first time out.

Even so, it usually starts around 10 months for me. But it can be as early as six months.

#7 ·
Our boy got a little "too big for his britches" around 6 months too! We did NILIF and he had to work for everything. We incorporated more structure and routine to his daily schedule (such as barrier training for the door to outside, sit for leash, etc).

Our trainer had us do "focus" sessions during this time as well which helped. More mini training sessions throughout the day. Go back to square one from the puppy days with commands...get dog's focus, command, hand signal, praise, treat/reward. We had to refocus ourselves for about a month and now our dog is 8 months and back to his normal sweet self...ahhhh adolescence!

This too shall pass!

#8 ·
Our gal is going through that as well...we opted for private training sessions to work on obedience. Making training fun (almost like a game) can help with the "doing the opposite of what you asked" if NILF doesn't work ("deprivation" only works when the pup cares lol).

#9 ·
This thread makes me feel better! My fairly calm & obedient puppy has turned into a giant 6 month old jumping bean. He has to be told everything twice lately. Other than that he's still good once he calms down..for the hubs & me anyway!

He's particularly awful for my SIL who is living with us...heavy mouthing, destroys her things, and recently peed on her bed! He's been house trained basically since 10 weeks, but seems to think it's funny to irritate her She definitely is NOT consistent with him at all & he knows it!

Hopefully the stubbornness is normal for his age then...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
Could be your dog is A.D.D.......additional discipline demanded......I hate it when they get too big for their britches as previously cited....

I've had 3 GSDs and have no idea what you could possibly be talking about....LOL.

Hang in there....quit "asking" Raven and hoping. Asserting yourself as team leader has worked so far...now you are just being tested to find out if you really are who Raven thinks you are...if he ups the "ante" ...I'd certainly "raise". Raven is getting older and bolder...never to be squashed but simply directed.

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.