Who pets your dog? --Leerburg - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Who pets your dog? --Leerburg

Can someone explain this to me?
I read the whole article. I do understand where this concept comes from but I feel it's a bit extreme.

I don't believe getting pets from strangers will make my dog any more interested in strangers. I whole heartily believe that a dog that loves everyone can be perfectly engaged with their owner and work just fine.

That being said if my pup looks uncomfortable when someone approaches, I'll happily say no. And I totally do not think dog dog greetings are ever ok with unknown dogs..

Can someone lay this out for me? I planned on doing the 100 people socialization with my girl. Whether or not she actually interacts with that many ppl, she sure as heck will see that many different people within those first two months I bring her home.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The point is that the dog should only get attention and affection from you and if everyone that comes up to the dog gives her a pet, she'll pay attention to others instead of you. In his opinion, the dog should be uninterested in everyone else. I wish I hadn't forced my dog into accepting pets from strangers. He was giving me clear signs but I didn't realize it at the time. I was taking the AKC Star Puppy class and was told that 'socializing' meant my dog had to be petted by everyone. If I had it to do over again, I would do more of the Leerburg way
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm stuck in the middle I guess. I wanted them to get socialized with kids and be able to accept a child approaching in any way, which is exactly what I got. I never said no to many adults, but I did find adults were more afraid of them. Most adults that wanted to pet them had a GSD at some point and liked the breed. My female got more aloof as she got older. Starting at about 7 months she didn't pay any attention to people, she doesn't even look at them. My male is more social but can still take it or leave it. Both adore kids. I was more interested in noises and stuff like that. We walked past landscapers working, construction workers, fire trucks and firemen putting out a fire, etc. we went to the park and climbed on the equipment. I even asked a police officer in uniform with radio going to pet my female, she liked him As a result I got two GSD's that love kids, don't bother with people, never bark in the car or in the yard when they hear or see stuff and aren't afraid of loud noises or commotion. Recently I took both of them to an event, they had to wait in the car while I signed them up. There were GSD's everywhere, all of them going nuts in the cars as people and dogs walked by, but mine were as quiet as can be. They were looking at these other dogs like they were crazy.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I socialize. But that does not mean letting everyone pet my dog. But if my dog is cool with it, then I don't mind if they do. Have never ended up with a dog that preferred others to me. Just ended up with dogs that were comfortable in any situation I put them.

I think if you are worried a dog will like other peoples pets more than yours, then you need to work on your relationship with your dog. I train, I feed, I play, I cuddle, I explore, I expose, I live with my dog. If that is not enough for my dog to choose working with and for me, then I have failed.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Leerburg, This largest puppy mill in the United States of America with 271 litters. Sorry, but I don't follow Leerburg trends...

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I train, I feed, I play, I cuddle, I explore, I expose, I live with my dog. If that is not enough for my dog to choose working with and for me, then I have failed. Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Awesome. Very well stated
Audie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I train, I feed, I play, I cuddle, I explore, I expose, I live with my dog. If that is not enough for my dog to choose working with and for me, then I have failed.
Pretty much sums it up!

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The main reasons I would adopt an attitude like this is because people can approach a young puppy with a high and very inappropriate energy that a puppy could find terrifying. Ever wonder why a dog became fear reactive of strangers? Usually it's because someone approached them like an idiot. Some might just get submissive urination or something like that, and the ones with solid temperaments probably won't care at all.

Other behavior issues creep up when people invite puppies to jump up on them and then reinforce it with affection. Cute while they are small. Not so cute when they are 90 pounds plus.

Now if you're lucky like me and you work at a place where people know how to approach and handle dogs then it's not that big a deal. As long as people know the ground rules and don't pet frantically or invite dogs to jump or scream puppy while leaning over them with outstretched arms then you don't really need to adopt the leerburg attitude. However, if you're surrounded by idiots you might want to think about either 1. Making the ground rules clear for people before they handle the puppy, or 2 do the leerburg thing and just tell em to get lost.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I socialize. But that does not mean letting everyone pet my dog. But if my dog is cool with it, then I don't mind if they do. Have never ended up with a dog that preferred others to me. Just ended up with dogs that were comfortable in any situation I put them.

I think if you are worried a dog will like other peoples pets more than yours, then you need to work on your relationship with your dog. I train, I feed, I play, I cuddle, I explore, I expose, I live with my dog. If that is not enough for my dog to choose working with and for me, then I have failed.

Pretty much this. I've never had shy puppies, so forcing them to submit to being petted by strangers was NOT an issue! If people wanted to meet my puppy and my puppy was interested in meeting them, I had no problem with that. I've also never had dogs that were more interested in other people than us.

Keefer is probably the most social dog we've ever had, he's extremely affectionate and loves getting attention from anyone and everyone. My husband takes him to visit my MIL at her assisted living facility every Sunday when I'm at flyball practice with Halo, and he has many fans among the old folks. But I am totally the center of his universe, he lives and breathes for me. Wherever I am in the house, he's right there. If I get up and leave a room, he's right behind me.

I took Halo lots of places when she was a puppy, and she got to meet tons of people from an early age. She's less interested in other people now than when she was a puppy but she's still fairly social, she just doesn't seek attention from strangers the way Keef does. But when we're doing flyball she's completely focused on me, and I'm not even her favorite person! That would be Tom - she's a total daddy's girl. The nice thing about all that exposure to other people is that when we were taking flyball classes and now at practice, she's perfectly comfortable being handled by other people. I can hand her off to anyone to restrain for recalls, and when I hurt my back at a tournament in May and couldn't race her myself one of my teammates took over and raced her for me.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Now if you're lucky like me and you work at a place where people know how to approach and handle dogs then it's not that big a deal.

I groom, and I have always taken my puppies to work with me. Quite a few customers want to see the new puppy, and I've always let them. My puppies have always been eager to say hello, and it's a pretty controlled environment.

My dogs have also been going to dog shows since they were puppies. It is a very chaotic, noisy environment - dogs barking non-stop, people running, crowds to navigate, people pulling dollies piled high with crates, wheelchairs, scooters, children. It's a lot to take in, but my puppies have always had a blast at shows. Kids all want to pet the German Shepherd puppy, and have been well-behaved (both kids and puppy).

When Carly was a puppy, we had quite a few young kids riding their bicycles up and down my street. I ran out there one time with Carly, just so she could see the bicycles. The kids were were curious about her and came up with their bikes and petted her. It was a great learning experience.

Consequently, my dogs seem to really love children, and have the GSD aloofness with adults. Works for me.

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo Italian Greyhound, puppymill rescue
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.