Potty Training with a Bell Advice Needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Potty Training with a Bell Advice Needed

Bell Training Advice: I'm working on training my second GSD to ring the bell when he has to potty. The first GSD took six days to learn the bell means go out to potty. The problem I am having with this new puppy is that he rings the bell, I take him outside on the leash, he urinates for maybe 3-5 seconds, and then I give him a treat and then I bring him back inside. He waits about 10 minutes and then he rings the bell again and I repeat the steps. I can tell that he is urinating JUST ENOUGH to get that treat and then he stops. For the last couple days I've taken him out on average of 50 times. I tried spending more time out there with him but once he urinates to get the treat, he's done and just wants to come back inside. Any advice from anyone that has ever had this issue?
budguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lol that sounds like a very smart puppy! I would say don't give a treat if the dog doesnt pee but you said he does a little everytime. I had a similar issue where my dog is trained to "talk" to me if she wants outside to pee...then she started tricking me and "talking" when there was anything interesting outside! I check the window now lol. Good luck, enjoy the good and frustrating puppy stages it goes so quick!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GSxOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

How old is your puppy? Is he reliably housebroken to the point that he's no longer having accidents in the house?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog would abuse the heck out that!!

Maybe it isn't going to work for him. Honestly, he sounds smart and I think he's got you trained
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have always verbal praise, and let them go out, do their business, and then come back inside. I always place pups on a schedule so that I know when they need to go, and when they are just wanting to play around. With Mishka I never let going outside in the front yard mean anything but do your stuff, and we go inside. When I took her out as a puppy, I gave her a "bathroom" command... When she did that, THEN she would get a treat. Once she learned what the word meant, I turned it to verbal praise. She has tried to get me out just to play, but being I don't use a food reward, and I don't play with her in her potty spot... She learned There is nothing fun for her there, so she now only asks when she needs it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You don't really need to give treats for a bathroom break. The act of going is rewarding enough. An active puppy outside playing with constant access to water is going to urinate every 15-20 minutes at the age of 7-10 maybe even 11 weeks. They really just need to go that often if not being trained to hold it longer.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Our dog rings a bell to go out- the only problem is that when she first learned to ring the bell she would do it not just for potty breaks but to go out to play and we ended taking her every time to be safe. needless to say it was a headache. The part I missed on was that if you can, use one door with a bell to go out for elimination and and a DIFFERENT door for going out to play.
shantinath1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.