German Shepherds Forum banner

Quiet Crating and Working

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  lauren43 
#1 ·
Ok I know there are 100 of these threads. I have tons of ideas to get puppy used to the crate right from go, between crate games, your in your out, working up to leaving her in the crate, to feeding in the crate, having treat bonuses in the crate and kongs....

When I bring my girl home I will have just under 3 weeks to work with her. I will be working on everything from obedience to potty training to socialization...Pretty much she will be with me 24/7 for that time.

But when I go back to work she will be crated for at least 8 hrs at a time with no potty breaks. By the time I go back to work she will be just 2 days shy of 12 weeks old. My biggest concern is not accidents, if she has an accident we will work it out.

I am worried about her being able to relax quietly in a crate. This is the one thing I have not mastered with either of my dogs. Avery came to me crate trained and didn't have issues until I lived in one specific apartment and that was remedied by moving and giving him more space. Lincoln my chi however is great in his crate while people are home. But the second I leave, and no one is home, bark bark bark bark...He can do it all night long.

Any suggestions? Especially about leaving her for the whole time I'm at work, should I give her more space because of this?

See less See more
#4 ·
My dog likes it when I leave the radio or TV on in another room. It makes her feel like there is someone home. You might consider having a friend come over in the middle of the day to let her go out for a short pee break.

#5 ·
Sadly having someone come over is not an option as I work at night.

Besides, has anyone had an issue with getting into the habit of a mid break and then the dog not getting it down the line...I would think this would create an expectation to go out, no?

#9 ·
At 12 weeks old Raina could stay in her crate all night without needing to go out but it is a push for one that young. I don't think someone letting her out in the middle at this age would cause it to become a habit but that is up to you to judge how comfortable she is.

#12 ·
Have you tried giving her treats like frozen kongs in her crate? It keeps them busy for a long time and they usually go to sleep after all that work getting the stuff out of the kong. Also limiting the amount of water about an hour before crating might help keep the need to pee down to a minimum.

#17 ·
Along with all the other ideas you have.. When your home during those 3 weeks... I would crate her a lot. Especially during the day.. That way she becomes used to it, part of her daily routine...

Does the breeder she's coming from start crate training?

#18 ·
Make the crate a great place to be. Feed your pup in there, give a special treat every time.

Took my pup a while to warm up to the crate, but she's great now.

As for a secure outdoor kennel, it's not my preference for that young a pup, especially in summer months, unsupervised

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.