Chasing Chickens! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Chasing Chickens!

I recently was finally able to bring my own little bundle of GSD joy home and make her part of my family. Little Maya is 12 weeks old and her little ears are just starting to stand on their own! Anyway, we have 12 free-range chickens and 3 free-range ducks on our acreage. Little Maya, being the puppy that she is, likes to chase and "play" with them...meaning we almost had a chicken casualty and very close calls with our ducks. I want to be able to let Maya run outside without having to be leashed or locked in. How can I teach her to not kill my chickens and ducks? I really would like to get a good handle on this now so we don't have problems with her when she's older. She also seems to have difficultly with the command "come"...very much unlike our lab who is a natural at "come". When something has Maya's attention (a duck/chicken) I can never get her to stop chasing them(I've tried yelling, clapping, ect.) and come to me...and it's very hard to catch her (fast little bugger!) How can I teach her to "stop" and improve her come?
EliteGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have to teach her it's not okay and it's a plus she is a puppy. I would start by taking her out on a leash several times a day and just sit outside with her in the general area of them. During this time work on leave it and treat/reward her heavily. I would this for a couple weeks, then start walking her on a leash past them, use the leave it. Eventually and hopefully she understands that they are off limits and they can live together peacefully.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Long line until she has a reliable recall and understands that the poultry is off limits.

I also have free range chickens. LB didn't bother them until she was 10 months. The last time was about a month ago. She grabbed one of my hens. I had a pinch collar on her (one that doesn't tighten), picked her up and basically gave her a couple of good corrections until she let go of the chicken. Since then she has eyed them, but I can stop her with an "eh". All of my dogs go through this and eventually learn. Only one that still gives me problems is Deja who harasses them until she finds the rooster that likes to fight. Then she punishes him. She also believes they should all be in one spot and will push the hens until they move together. They aren't supposed to be spread around the property. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would teach the "leave it" command. It really works. My GSD loves to swim and so does my smaller dog. They were both in the pool and the GSD kept trying to dunk or swim over the little dog. I said "leave it" in a firm voice and he swam the other way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
trcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

why did the chicken cross the street ?
--- to find some peace and quiet

can you temporarily enclose the chickens and ducks so that the dog can satisfy her curiousity without stimulating the chickens to run .

carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree with Lisa/Carmen

I have chickens, my german shepherd is totally fine with them, my new aussie puppy, (like my other aussies) has incredibly high prey/herding drive..Even at this age (14 wks) she would most likely hurt one of the babies I have, but she definitely keeps her distance from the adult ones, probably because the adults are bigger than her, however, if they "run" the chase is on..

I' keep my chickens confined for the most part (predators), but have been using a long line on her if they are out and about...I must say, she is great at herding up the babies at nite to get them "IN" their coop,,tho she does it thru the fencing LOL

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

we need new pictures of little Maia
Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you all! I did notice that she doesn't seem to even notice the chickens until they run...and then, like mentioned before, "the chase is on." I will try teaching the "leave it" command. Oh, I need to go take some recent pictures of her so you can see!
EliteGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In the past I have solved this by getting an adult mean rooster. ( I trained the rooster not to attack me) Once he and the chickens had bonded, he beat up the dog by slapping him with his wings, and he (the dog) never looked at chickens and even the peeps. Once he was running towards me, saw the hens and took a detour around them.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
In the past I have solved this by getting an adult mean rooster. ( I trained the rooster not to attack me) Once he and the chickens had bonded, he beat up the dog by slapping him with his wings, and he (the dog) never looked at chickens and even the peeps. Once he was running towards me, saw the hens and took a detour around them.
That works until you have dogs that find it fun to spar with the rooster or one, Deja, that sees it as something that needs to be crushed and punished for having the gall to threaten her.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.