German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   14 Week Puppy Barking at People (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/462441-14-week-puppy-barking-people.html)

RIDIK0LUS 06-20-2014 11:52 AM

14 Week Puppy Barking at People

1 Attachment(s)
I have a puppy that's 14 weeks old, and she has started barking at everyone that walks by the house, especially if they have a dog with them.

The main problem is at my dad's cabin. Its in a small community where people walk around and ride gold carts. The cabin is fairly close to the road and people drive fairly slow so cars aren't really an issue. The barking is fine to let me know that people are out there, but I would like to know how to get her to stop barking when I tell her to. The constant barking also rallies up her (big) sister to go and investigate who used to be very good about ignoring people walking by. Her sister is very friendly, but some people are just scared of dogs. I think if the barking stopped, her sister wouldn't feel like she needed to go and check everything out.

Thanks

Attachment 218417
Sally with her (big) sister Sadie

Ace GSD 06-20-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIDIK0LUS (Post 5668457)
I have a puppy that's 14 weeks old, and she has started barking at everyone that walks by the house, especially if they have a dog with them.

The main problem is at my dad's cabin. Its in a small community where people walk around and ride gold carts. The cabin is fairly close to the road and people drive fairly slow so cars aren't really an issue. The barking is fine to let me know that people are out there, but I would like to know how to get her to stop barking when I tell her to. The constant barking also rallies up her (big) sister to go and investigate who used to be very good about ignoring people walking by. Her sister is very friendly, but some people are just scared of dogs. I think if the barking stopped, her sister wouldn't feel like she needed to go and check everything out.

Thanks

Attachment 218417
Sally with her (big) sister Sadie

hahha cute dog :) i cant help you with the question but cute dog !

Diesel7602 06-20-2014 02:18 PM

Sounds like your dog is showing his brave/fear stage . My dog has been doing this and it's kind of embarrassing. Some times they act brave and other time fearful, kinda like mood swings. I wish I could tell ya how to make him stop, I'm in the same boat trying to train my dog not to do this.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

RIDIK0LUS 06-20-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5669193)
Sounds like your dog is showing his brave/fear stage . My dog has been doing this and it's kind of embarrassing. Some times they act brave and other time fearful, kinda like mood swings. I wish I could tell ya how to make him stop, I'm in the same boat trying to train my dog not to do this.

I think you might be right. She was barking at a dog but when it came over to greet her, she just ran away with her tail between her legs. I hope it doesn't last too long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace GSD (Post 5669105)
hahha cute dog :) i cant help you with the question but cute dog !

Thanks! I get a lot of comments on how pretty she is when people see her.

Diesel7602 06-20-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIDIK0LUS (Post 5669249)
I think you might be right. She was barking at a dog but when it came over to greet her, she just ran away with her tail between her legs. I hope it doesn't last too long.

Thanks! I get a lot of comments on how pretty she is when people see her.

This it's what I'm doing.
When your puppy begins acting brave, with her paws firmly planted on your feet (so you can back her up,) just step away from her, turn her away from whatever she's barking at, and distract her. When she looks at you, praise her for her attention .try not to get mad. This isn't logical behavior on her part, and she's not doing it on purpose. Instead, it's emotional puppy behavior.
It's also not unusual for puppies to have a small fear period when they are teething. After all, your puppy may not feel too well right now ;her gums are swollen and her jaw hurts. I think "cross fingers" that it last tell they are done teething and trained Remember ,they don't out grow behavior , it's trained. But by doing this while training will help a lot, then just over looking it, and think she will it grow it.=)

RIDIK0LUS 06-20-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5669313)
This it's what I'm doing.
When your puppy begins acting brave, with her paws firmly planted on your feet (so you can back her up,) just step away from her, turn her away from whatever she's barking at, and distract her. When she looks at you, praise her for her attention .try not to get mad. This isn't logical behavior on her part, and she's not doing it on purpose. Instead, it's emotional puppy behavior.
It's also not unusual for puppies to have a small fear period when they are teething. After all, your puppy may not feel too well right now ;her gums are swollen and her jaw hurts. I think "cross fingers" that it last tell they are done teething and trained Remember ,they don't out grow behavior , it's trained. But by doing this while training will help a lot, then just over looking it, and think she will it grow it.=)

This sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure what you mean by "with her paws firmly planted on your feet". Is she supposed to be standing on my feet?

Diesel7602 06-20-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIDIK0LUS (Post 5669401)
This sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure what you mean by "with her paws firmly planted on your feet". Is she supposed to be standing on my feet?

I said it wrong. Stand behind her, with her back against you. then turn her around. I heard it helps with security from her owner.

RIDIK0LUS 06-20-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5669441)
I said it wrong. Stand behind her, with her back against you. then turn her around. I heard it helps with security from her owner.

That makes sense. I'll give it a shot next time she sees someone walking by. Thanks!

Diesel7602 06-20-2014 04:25 PM

It's still a working progress with me. Lol when I turn perseus around he still grumbles. I also have to train my self in remembering to bring treats with me. I think with reputation, he will stop and only focus on me.