Training without a crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training without a crate

Let me just start off by saying that I do believe I will purchase a crate soon, but for the moment I can't afford one. I am training my GSD and sometimes he does bad behavior. I am not sure how to teach him to stop the behavior. He is still 2 and half months old. So, I am not sure if he is still too young to train or not.

He knows how to sit, and when to potty. Everything else can be stubborn with. Especially dropping his new favorite chew toy, a squeaking toy.
wolfie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Its never too late. But for your own piece of mind and especially sleep, I'd find a used one on craigslist in a hurry. I got an xl wire one on amazon for $50. 2 doors, divider . . .

getting the drop command is easier with treats. then wean off treats when he gets it.

I'd be scared of the vet bills coming if a crate is too much, just food for thought.
AnyaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I never used a crate raising my bullies in the past and never had an issue! BullMastiff/APBT/Lab adult and several Boxer, Boxer/pit puppies had free roam, no problems.

When I entered GSD world yeah kinda different a crate might have prevented "issues" down the road??

But yeah Craigslist and yard sales.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

#1: He's not too young to start training. Keep your expectations reasonable though - he's only going to know what you've taught him, and his attention span is going to be very short.

#2: He's not "stubborn". He's still a baby and he doesn't yet know what you expect of him. Training is a process that takes some time. Stubborn can only be a factor when he's 100% sure what you're asking of him and he refuses to comply. I can guarantee that at his age, that's not what's happening.

Whether or not you use a crate is entirely up to you. There are many good reasons to use one, however. Whenever I couldn't be actively supervising my puppy (taking a shower, cleaning house, at work, making dinner, eating a meal?) puppy went in the crate. Housebreaking is much easier with a crate, as is preventing destructive chewing, which can be very expensive and potentially life threatening.

If you need to leave your dog at the vet for any reason, it's going to be easier on him if he's crate trained. Also, if you ever plan to travel and need to leave him in a hotel room, or if you're going to participate in any dog sports, he'll need to be in a crate. My dogs were crated when not being worked at nosework classes, and Halo is in a crate at flyball practice every week. We've traveled out of town for flyball tournaments, which involved staying in hotels and crates. Do you ever want to take him to someone else's house, either for a visit or an overnight stay? Your hosts will appreciate him being in a crate when you can't watch him.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can get a smaller airline crate at TSC or Wal-mart for around $30. As someone else said, be realistic about vet bills... you've got several rounds of vet visits coming up that will cost a whole lot more than a crate (especially if you have a puppy who has access to anything and everything).

As for the behaviors... aside from the fact that crating is your best friend... keep in mind that he is a baby. He lacks impulse control, and he explores EVERYTHING with his mouth. What I found helpful was to focus on behaviors you DO want, rather than correcting what you don't want. Whenever he drops a toy on his own throughout the course of the day, reward him. If you turn it into a struggle trying to take it away from him, it just becomes a game to him and it is self-defeating. Don't expect too much from him- he's a toddler. Right now, make learning obedience and good behaviors FUN, make it a game. Good manners are ingrained through repetition and routine at this age.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for all the advice. Yes, I have been trying to teach him as best that I can. Sometimes he doesn't want the treat at all though even though he did what I asked him too. Also, I was going to buy a crate but spent it on the vet for an initial checkup and his shots too.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyaGSD View Post
Its never too late. But for your own piece of mind and especially sleep, I'd find a used one on craigslist in a hurry. I got an xl wire one on amazon for $50. 2 doors, divider . . .

getting the drop command is easier with treats. then wean off treats when he gets it.

I'd be scared of the vet bills coming if a crate is too much, just food for thought.
You got an extra large one for that price? Could you possibly post a link to it?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie13 View Post
You got an extra large one for that price? Could you possibly post a link to it?

Amazon.com : Midwest iCrate Double-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate, 42 Inches by 28 Inches by 30 Inches : Pet Kennels : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Midwest iCrate Double-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate, 42 Inches by 28 Inches by 30 Inches : Pet Kennels : Pet Supplies
AnyaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the link. My sister actually gave me hers, unused. I left the crate door open put some kibble inside the back of the crate he went in quick. He stayed there for a bit then exited. He went there on his own shortly after. I rewarded him both times.

He was clawing at the bottom tray. I think I may get him a soft bed or something. He is starting to get a bit more bitey. My question for crate training is he needs to be comfortable with it first before I put him in there for biting right?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I use the crate when the puppy should be calm or sleeping. If he has a lot of energy, I don't use the crate for punishment or time out. He still needs to interact and get exercise. If he's getting bitey because he's really tired, then it would be appropriate to put him in the crate, but if he hasn't had exercise for the day, make sure you get enough of that in and redirect him to tug toys and stuff he can bite.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.